Angled Stator Laminations vs Rotation Direction

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
I've been searching ES and google for a couple days now, and found a lot of references to and discussion of angled laminations (most of it specific to the motor series I have and am asking about, the Crystalyte X5304), but I don't see a definitive answer to this question.

Here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1312958#p1312595
I made an assumption that I am wondering about now, so here's the primary question

Does the angled stator lamination *by itself* make the X5304 directional (meaning, more efficient one way than the other, or more drag or more torque), or is it only in relation to the existing hall sensor installation?

Apologies in advance for the lack of precision in my descriptions/measurements, as I don't have a way to directly measure torque, or to reliably see the short current spikes long enough to measure them, etc. So almost everything is by "feel".

I'm using the motor sensorless, so the hall placement has no bearing on my particular situation, which is:

The X5304, with the particular generic 12FET I'm using, brakes quite hard even on my very heavy SB Cruiser trike, as the right rear wheel. Its also torquey at startup, but it's more torquey during braking. Braking distance can be (depending partly on battery level, and other factors I'm not sure of) as short as nearly the trike's own length, from 20MPH.

The HSR3548, identical wheel/tire, same controller, same wheel position, does not brake very hard--about the same as it is at startup, which is not as much as the X5304. The basic difference could be from the narrower stator/magnets, or it could be the winding, or both. Braking distance is at best a few times the trike's length, from 20MPH.

The HSR3548 does not appear to use as much power to accelerate (but it takes a tad longer to get to the same 20MPH speed); power usage for my work commute is usualy in the 55-60wh/mile range with the X5304, but is down to 45-50Wh/mile range with the HSR3548 so far.

But the X5304 is *so much more* torquey during braking that it seems there might be some ohter difference causing it.

Braking of the controller on these is an active type (EABS) that doesnt' just regenerate to create drag, but actively powers the wheel to reverse it (this generates quite a bit of heat in the controller, wiring, and motor that just regen braking does not)

Note that there is also an MXUS 3K 45H 3T on the left side, similar controller but different braking type (just regen). It's being used at the same time in the same ways with both of the above motors, for braking and acceleration, but not for cruising.

My initial thought was the angled laminations causing the difference...but I'm not sure that's the case now, after having thought about the fact I'm using it sensorless.

My thoughts now...are that my brain hurts, and work/life is too stressful for me to get enough sleep to be able to concentrate on figuring this out. :/

So...thoughts by the motor technical experts?

"Angled laminations" are usually called "skew." The stator or the rotor can be skewed. The main reason this is usually done is to reduce cogging torque. It has no effect on direction of rotation.

Back