Time for MORE POWER! 1400a 1200v IGBT controller build!

Electric Motors and Controllers
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Time for MORE POWER! 1400a 1200v IGBT controller build

Post by amberwolf » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:02 am

Build your own caps shaped the way you want? ;)

Lebowski
1 GW
1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:24 am

Arlo1 wrote: Now to let everyone know.. HH is very doubtful this will work well. He let me know I am breaking all the design rules. But I know I am breaking the laminated buss design rule and my hope is because they are in side the middle it won't be such a big deal.
I am with HH on this one... I think a lot of attention should be paid to how the currents flow and how they change throughout the full switching cycles. Throughout the switching cycle the current should (as much as possible) stay in the same 3D space, minimizing current and voltage spikes and associated extra switching losses.

Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Arlo1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am

Lebowski wrote:
Arlo1 wrote: Now to let everyone know.. HH is very doubtful this will work well. He let me know I am breaking all the design rules. But I know I am breaking the laminated buss design rule and my hope is because they are in side the middle it won't be such a big deal.
I am with HH on this one... I think a lot of attention should be paid to how the currents flow and how they change throughout the full switching cycles. Throughout the switching cycle the current should (as much as possible) stay in the same 3D space, minimizing current and voltage spikes and associated extra switching losses.
So maybe you guys don't understand the current paths?

In a rectangular controller they flow in awkward paths. And the inductance from the end caps on each side is quite large.

What I have here is the current flowing from battery > to top busbars which link all caps together > to caps > to IGBT + - with another cap parallel link on the + - end of the IGBTs as well.
My Leaf motor controller build. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer