Anyone running the LYEN 18FET sensorless controller ?

rumme

100 kW
Are you able to get it to pump out more then 70 amps in sensorless mode? I'm running a 72 volt battery that can output 140 phase amps and 100 continuous amps , and I am using 8 gauge wires . At full throttle with my Magura throttle , I can only get a maximum of 70 amps out of the controller.

Under what mechanical load?

The controller only outputs the power necessary to make the motor do the work it's being called upon to do.

Your battery cannot output any phase amps.

Well I had a Kelly controller hooked up to this same ebike a few weeks ago and I was getting 100- 120 amps at full throttle in sensored mode.
I decided to go to the LYEN controller to use sensorless, and the max amps I can get is now only 70 amps. Everyhting else is the same on the ebike, I only changed Out the controllers.

I think this LYEN is rated to handle 100 amps but I cant get over 70 amps out of it.

I guess you have set more than 70A batt in the programming software?

amberwolf said:
Phase amps are not battery amps

Oh, I thought phase amps setting was just another term for max amps setting. Lyen set the controller for 70 continuous amps and 95 max/ phase amps.

I'm only able to get a max of 70 amps out of it, but I know my battery can deliver 140 amps , cause it used to do it with my Kelly controller.

rumme said:
Oh, I thought phase amps setting was just another term for max amps setting.
Phase amps are the amps the motor itself sees at each phase wire. Common controllers like the Lyen can't actually measure phase amps, it can only approximately calculate them based on battery amps and a formula built into it's programming.

There are controllers like Sevcon, Lebowski, and I think Kelly, and other advanced ones, that do actually measure phase current on at least two phases (some all three), but the common ebike controllers don't do this (the hardware is more expensive than that to measure battery current, and requires different programming).

Lyen set the controller for 70 continuous amps
<snip>
I'm only able to get a max of 70 amps out of it,
Then you're getting exactly what the controller is set for.

If the controller is capable of it, you can program it (or have Lyen do so) to be able to draw more current (if the motor demands it).

But right now, it's doing what it's supposed to.

Thanks for the replies.

So it is currently set to 70 amps continuous and 95 amps phase. Does this sound like proper settings or should the phase amps be set higher ?

What does the phase amps impact ? Do phase amps make the ebike have more power ? I wrongly though that phase amps was another term for " max burst amps" .

Back