Cheap hub sink?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

I noticed that there are companies who sell those aluminum heatsinks to go on the hub itself while being locked to eachother with screws to make a 360 degree circle.

The problem is that they charge like $70 for them.
Is there an alternative? like a business that sells something similar but for another industrial use so we can buy it cheaper?
I don't want flat ones and they need to be with horizontal screw holes to be able to get locked to eachother.
It's also important that the radius of the curve is as close as possible to the motor that if any adjustment needs to be made that it will be only a slight bend to make it sit flush on the hub.

The member here on ES that designed and makes those has a sale thread for them.

You can look it and his development thread up and see what hte alternatives are.

rg12 said:
Hey Guys,

I noticed that there are companies who sell those aluminum heatsinks to go on the hub itself while being locked to eachother with screws to make a 360 degree circle.

The problem is that they charge like $70 for them.
Is there an alternative? like a business that sells something similar but for another industrial use so we can buy it cheaper?
I don't want flat ones and they need to be with horizontal screw holes to be able to get locked to eachother.
It's also important that the radius of the curve is as close as possible to the motor that if any adjustment needs to be made that it will be only a slight bend to make it sit flush on the hub.

In your own post, you have describe the reasons that it costs $70: Don't want a flat one, need horizontal screw holes, correct radius.

Ask yourself how much it would cost you to make a set that would work, even if you bought ready-made aluminum extrusions at wholesale. The current cost of the ubiquitous CPU heatsinks are around $5 for a small square of just a few inches.

I think you are too used to the prices of mass-produced imported goods from China. This is a product made and designed by member here. He put a lot of time and energy into his original idea. He's shared massively with the community and deserves each one of those dollars.

I wasn't sure until now that it was developed especially for hub motor cooling and thats why I asked if there was a cheap alternative that works like that because it was MAYBE taken as is from some already mass produced product intended for other uses.

If it was just for myself then I wouldn't mind the $70 but I have a business and thought about selling these for 3kw hub motors but it's a bit expensive for a resale as after importing from (probably) the US + shipping + import tax would make me have to resale them at a very high price and I don't like selling stuff at a price I myself wouldn't pay when the customer can just browse the internet for it.

So cheers to the guy who made these, that's a great idea.

I have ordered Hubsinks and Statorade from the creator to support them.

Even if you use an alternative for the hubsinks, you still need to add a ferrofluid like Statorade to transfer heat to the heatsinks. When it comes to the ferrofluid it is difficult to find the correct ome in small quantities except the Statorade brand. Without a ferrofluid inside the motor, the heatsinks outside is nearly useless.

If you really cant afford the heatsinks by hubsink creator, you can use 19x19x24mm heatsinks around the motor. You would need about 35 of them. Use thermal pads/glue. Then run a metal string (the kind used for jewelery making) through the heatsinks to secure them.

Here I've done the search for you.
REMEMBER: YOU STILL NEED STATORADE TO TRANSFER HEAT TO THE ALUMINIUM SINKS

Heatsinks:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXQ5ZYL

From a review on aliexpress:
Screenshot_20200713-224257_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200713-224502_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200713-224523_Gallery.jpg

Metal string:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282772755122

Thermal pads:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTYHNQn

Thermal tape:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6QSVSn

if you have a wood miter saw with aluminum blade it is pretty easy to do. heck one could even do it with a grinder or a hack saw (your arm would be super tired!)
buy some aluminum tube with about 1/8" thick walls. Make sure it is 6063 alloy not 6061 (does not bend easily)
Lets say you use 1x1" square tube. Cut 3 of the sides (but not the bottom side) every 1/4" and you will get basically a flat heat sink that looks like this:

bend it around the hub motor and run a nut and bolt and probabably washers depending on tube size, through the 2 ends to secure them together. this is called kerf cutting.

I've not done it yet, but should work easily in theory. And yes it's very easy to bend this and get it through spokes on a bike wheel. You can even add heat sink compound for a really good contact.

I personally will be using 4 pieces of 1x0.5" tube side by side to make a heat sink that is 2" wide.

I'm guessing making it yourself costs about 1/5 the cost of those custom extruded things.

Back