Seal hub with silicone?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

Is it smart to seal the hub's side covers with silicone? I've seen it done but I learned that if something is 99% sealed it's worst than 90% sealed since the moisture that may get sucked into the hub when it's hot will have a harder time getting out (if ever).

rg12 said:
Hey Guys,

Is it smart to seal the hub's side covers with silicone? I've seen it done but I learned that if something is 99% sealed it's worst than 90% sealed since the moisture that may get sucked into the hub when it's hot will have a harder time getting out (if ever).

Don't seal. Drill a few Weep holes to let water out and prevent pressure differential. Otherwise Water WILL get in...

What he said ^^^^

Drill 1/16" hole so it is coincident with inner edge of case so water gets thrown out as wheel spins. While you're at it, center punch the case adjacent to the hole so you can restore the factory cover alignment when reassembling the hub after service.

My motors are dry even after fording streams with the drilled weep hole. But - the hole needs to be positioned toward axle if you are running with Statorade. That said, these holes are tiny and easy to epoxy up if you change you mind about Statorade.

I sealed (silicone RTV) and drilled a drain hole :D it stops most water getting in and what does has somewhere to get out as explained above.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm worried about the silicone being too weak. There is a lot of sheer force going through eighteen 1/8" screws. Is there a strong glue for this purpose? Silicon is pretty soft. Something between silicon and jbweld would be perfect.

evo1087 said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm worried about the silicone being too weak. There is a lot of sheer force going through eighteen 1/8" screws. Is there a strong glue for this purpose? Silicon is pretty soft. Something between silicon and jbweld would be perfect.

Just us some automotive gasket silicon sealant, that thing is made for extreme purposes. It doesn't matter how big the forces are because nothing should move in the first place if the screws are tightened properly.
Personnally I would seal the hub entirely, and do not forget the phase wires hole too.

@ Dui I’ll look for some grade 12.9 m4 bolts and seal it with silicone. I was amazed when I opened it and there was no rust after 10 years with frequent rain riding. Btw I posted a question to your moped thread.

Back