Relation of motor watt power and torque. Can 250W motor be stronger than a 500W ?

I have a most probably a dumb question but i am very much confused about it.

I see some articles mentioning a 250W hub motor can create higher torque than a 500W hub motor. I assume they are different brands and have different builds but how come it happens ?

Doesn't the motor watt power show the power of the motor ?
Are there other factors ? or is it kind of marketing tactic ?

Nicolescarcliff said:
I have a most probably a dumb question but i am very much confused about it.

I see some articles mentioning a 250W hub motor can create higher torque than a 500W hub motor. I assume they are different brands and have different builds but how come it happens ?

A geared hub of a given size may deliver more torque at the rear wheel than a similarly rated direct drive hub, because the torque is multiplied by the (speed) reduction ratio.

So, a "250W" geared hub may be rated as such because of its limited diameter, or copper content or heat shedding capacity; where a "500W" direct hub, may be rated higher because it does not have that limitation.

The geared hub may produce less torque at the airgap than the direct hub, but deliver more torque to the wheel because of the gearing.

Nicolescarcliff said:

All very good questions...

Unfortunately, the answers aren't always that easy to understand because there are a lot of things in play that can be slippery to wrap your head around. I recommend you take a look at this page by Justin on the Grin Tech site (FWIW - he foots the bill for Endless Sphere and has written several research threads here):

ebikes.ca -- Motor Power Ratings

This page directly addresses your specific questions - it talks about the difference between torque and power, the difference between peak and continuous power, and the problems and methods for measuring all those things.

Anyhow - have at it and see if it helps.

Back