Kelly, CANBUS and Arduino

Electric Motors and Controllers
jumpjack
100 W
100 W

Kelly, CANBUS and Arduino

Post by jumpjack » Mar 19, 2018 3:53 am

My Kelly KHB72701C controller is equipped with CANBUS.
Any advice/tutorial/experience about connecting to an Arduino to read data?
Can I also *write* data, i.e. change controller configuration, using CANBUS? (i.e. damage it...)
I read about several CANBUS shields existing: is that all I need? A shield, two wires and an Arduino? It's not very clear to me how data are sent through CANBUS, which one I can read, how they are formatted...
When I connect my PC to controller via RS232, I can see an undocumented CANBUS configuration screen, any idea what is its use?

jumpjack
100 W
100 W

Re: Kelly, CANBUS and Arduino

Post by jumpjack » Apr 02, 2018 10:22 am

Anybody?

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Apr 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Kelly would have to provide you the specific documentation on each specific controller model and version's CANBUS info (what they support, what each thing that can be read is, how to read it / interpret the data, whether any data can be written and what it is, and what values are safe to write and what they mean, etc).

CANBUS is really just a data transfer standard / communications protocol--everything after that is up to the device manufacturer to come up with, so each manufacturer does different things with each device they make, and other than just poking around in there with sniffing experiments, and guessing, the manufacturer is teh only certain place to get that info (which they don't have to provide, sometimes will and sometimes won't).

jumpjack
100 W
100 W

Post by jumpjack » Apr 02, 2018 1:42 pm

thanks.
:(