DA-90 motor

It's hard to tell too much without a seeing a torque-rpm curve, but a few thoughts do trail.
-At 10.5 kg, a peak power density of 2.4kW/kg isn't particularly impressive
-Seeing that there isn't any active cooling, I don't imagine the continuous power output being anything over 10kW
-For the price however, it might be worth exploring for some applications

Just my two cents.
-Ben

skeetab5780 said:
Im curious myself, looks like a pretty big paperweight until someone tries it out!

Denzel has been testing this motor on their Rush v3 supermoto electric pitbike (17" wheels front and rear).. videos on fb are looking pretty impressive so far..

Hi Guys,

I am interested DA-90 motor . Anyone with more information should kindly share ... thanks

Can you post the facebook videos here? because the video of this motor in action on the eastgem site seems pretty bad IMO

its slow, only shows it on mostly flat grade street and when they do let you hear the motor in the video it seems like its maxed out rpm's loud whine going roughly 35mph

Rideon said:
Hi Guys,

I am interested DA-90 motor . Anyone with more information should kindly share ... thanks

skeetab5780 said:
Can you post the facebook videos here? because the video of this motor in action on the eastgem site seems pretty bad IMO

its slow, only shows it on mostly flat grade street and when they do let you hear the motor in the video it seems like its maxed out rpm's loud whine going roughly 35mph

Denzel Rush 3 "Tornado" electric motorcycle with DA-90 induction motor is now available for pre-sale.. : https://www.denzelmotors.com/specs

facebook videos won't embed here so I could only post the link to it .. but many of their fb videos are probably also on the YouTube channel .. nothing too spectacular so far.. I would like to see the motor and bike tested off-road, since they have it mounted to a dirt bike chassis for testing and pre-sale..

Hi,

About the DA-90S motor on your website. Couple of questions hoping you can answer. Also for other interested users perhaps.
What is the best way to cool these motors for continuous use? Or is it 10 kW rated w/o the need of cooling ?
Is there by any chance a DCF file available for Sevcon controllers?
Commutation by hall or sin/cos?

Monstarr said:
Hi,

About the DA-90S motor on your website. Couple of questions hoping you can answer. Also for other interested users perhaps.
What is the best way to cool these motors for continuous use? Or is it 10 kW rated w/o the need of cooling ?
Is there by any chance a DCF file available for Sevcon controllers?
Commutation by hall or sin/cos?

I personally have no affiliation with denzel, eastgem, etc.. so try contacting them directly for product info, etc .. they have pretty good response on the facebook page : facebook.com/denzelbike/

That motor is huge for only putting out 10kw they claim a 42ah or 60ah battery, they don't specify the controller but knowing Alex they are using a Kelly so i'm thinking 72v 150A?? not really sure he may use 48-60v battery

edit: looks like they are testing it with Kelly KAC7230H controller so again we can assume 72v

the old briggs PM motors can take more than this, lets hope a really nice video pops up....hint hint

denzel eastgem has posted some specs and more information for their induction motor on ev nerds :
https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/other-cool-ev-stuff/worlds-first-induction-motor-with-combined-windings-is-on/

10kg for 3kw rated continuous is horrifically heavy for a shaft drive motor like this, compared to even very poor quality BLDC motors.
Efficiency is low for a motor of that size. Should be able to hit at least 93% peak.
Requiring a special controller is also a negative.

The fact that it free spins doesn't really make up for the fact that you have half the power density of a big hub motor, once you calculate that it's making the same power as a 8kg hub motor while spinning twice as fast as the hub.

I'm uncertain as to why they even bothered marketing it. Maybe more of a test to find out how many people will buy an underperforming product with the right marketing :p

So does anyone have any more info about this motor ? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

What information are you looking for? prior posts and links do a good job of outlining the critical details already.

It looks like although peak power and efficiency aren't noteworthy it has quite a large RPM range where it has decent power and efficiency. It has a new winding method made by some russians using parallel star and delta winding. The heavy weight seems to be as it is an existing motor with new windings, so it's probably based off a heavy industrial motor that wasn't designed with any concern for weight. For ebikes with only 1 gear ratio it might perform better than expected from the peak power.

The efficiency is pretty poor for a motor of this size. If it's peak is really 90%, then it's overshadowed by middle quality axial flux designs that peak at 92-94% efficiency. One example is the motenergy motors that have been around for over a decade.

Highly likely that this is a repurposed and remarketed windmill motor.

There are multiple missing specifications and attempts to mislead the viewer in the specifications that are present.

I couldn't find detailed motenergy efficiency graphs. I was looking at it compared to the 3kw golden motor axial flux motor. The DA-90 had almost 3x the peak torque at 0 RPM if you feed it enough current, at 4000 RPM the golden motor had lost over 50% of it's rated power and ceased producing torque at 4500 RPM, the DA-90 still retained about 60% at 4000 RPM and was still producing torque at 5500 RPM.

Assuming you only have 1 gear ratio the DA-90 should have a significant advantage, with the same reduction ratio it would have more starting torque and at least 20% higher top speed. If you changed ratios to have the same starting torque the golden motor bike would have 30% of the top speed or so.
da-90s-diagramm-2.jpg

Hi everyone.
Im new to the forum and new to EV stuff so i hope excuse any silly questions.

Has anyone used this motor yet?

its dimensions and power suit a project i’m planning but so far i a haven't been able to get a reply out of denzel about its availability and shipping to aus.

Id also like to know if anyone has pushed them a bit harder than the denzels specs.
Wondering if it could be pushed a bit further if it had active cooling.

Thanks

Joe

Back