Revolt RV-series motor review and comparisons

Electric Motors and Controllers
ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Re: Revolt RV-series motor review and comparisons

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 07 2019 5:39pm

larsb wrote:
Mar 07 2019 5:18pm
the revolt reviews are in my posts. Well documented, and i think you already wrote earlier that you read some of them.. In the rotor losses thread possibly.

The low copper fill, useless soldering of wires etc has been a general issue for Revolt. It was 22% copper fill in my motor originally..

And if the laminations are low quality like in Revolt case then it's not better with lower pole count.

Etc.
What outrunner would you use?

Now I remember your posts on the Revolt motors...not very thorough or detailed. Obviously I'm going a lot further with lots more detail than you did. no offense intended there, but this thread is intended to expose everything about these motors...good and bad.

I do honest reviews...show the good and bad for the benefit of everyone. I've already said several things about the RV-100-reg and RV-120-reg that I don't like. I also point out things I LIKE about them. I'd do that for any review.

Lower pole count plays several roles. What about motor eRPM? In an outrunner especially...like the 120 and 150 series AP motors...all those poles makes running those motors on typical EV controllers impossible because the eRPM is so high. Keeping eRPM down will also help with iron losses. I'll be posting test results from running this motor at various voltages to see how the iron losses play out. There's lots to cover yet...

I'll get the motor apart further soon enough and then I can post images and measure the lam thicknesses. They are probably no worse that the AP 12090 that I am comparing it with.

What do you expect from a cheap motor? I never expect perfection and you do get what you pay for.

This is far better copper fill in the 120-reg. There's still room for a bit more copper here, but I'd call this 80% full.

Than this on the 12090...where the stator teeth are 60% full.

Same here...the RV-100-regular has an 80% full stator.

While the AP C80100 is more like 60% full.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 07 2019 6:39pm

EG,

It's all about the stator steel. I have a strong suspicion, confirmed by high no-load currents on every motor they've put out, that our friends in Israel used the absolute cheapest stator steel they could get their mitts on to produce these motors. AFAIC it makes them not worth spending any time one, whether it's careful rewinding for better fill like Larsb did so beautifully, or spending time detail testing like you're doing. Thank goodness I only spent $300 plus a bit for international snail mail postage along with 3 months of patience for my original batch 120, because there's no way to overcome bad stator steel other than to spin it a relatively low rpm (ie low power) I'll certainly never use it, except maybe to use to build an electric weedeater.

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 07 2019 7:15pm

John in CR wrote:
Mar 07 2019 6:39pm
EG,

It's all about the stator steel. I have a strong suspicion, confirmed by high no-load currents on every motor they've put out, that our friends in Israel used the absolute cheapest stator steel they could get their mitts on to produce these motors. AFAIC it makes them not worth spending any time one, whether it's careful rewinding for better fill like Larsb did so beautifully, or spending time detail testing like you're doing. Thank goodness I only spent $300 plus a bit for international snail mail postage along with 3 months of patience for my original batch 120, because there's no way to overcome bad stator steel other than to spin it a relatively low rpm (ie low power) I'll certainly never use it, except maybe to use to build an electric weedeater.
Of course on lams your expectations are pretty high what with that stack of hubmonsters you have!

When did anyone else buy a motor from Revolt? Mine were made just 2 months ago. Things change and hopefully improve and get refined over time.

The lam materials may be terrible...don't know yet. This may be old news and they are now using better lam materials. Maybe the lam steel wasn't the problem. Maybe the insulation between layers was bad. Good lams with no insulation would be worse than super cheap lams with excellent insulation.

My hope is to dispel old information about Revolt and that they have gotten much better. The proof and testing will bear that out or not. In the 120-reg, there's some evidence indicating that motor quality is not overly good. The way the motor phase wires were attached to the winding ends was truly pathetic.

I'll know lots more soon...and whatever that is...it will get posted here. I have no qualms calling something a POS if it is. See my review thread on the Chargery C4012B. However, if it's usable at least equivalently to the 12090, then that's not really a POS. Average maybe, but not POS.

I'll be able to run it at 48, 66, 82, 96, 131 and 136 volts. If that's not enough data points I don't know what is. I can't do this with the 12090 as I don't have a controller fast enough to keep up with it's eRPM above 82 volts. I have a PV controller good for 150 volts, but it's limited to 50,000 eRPM. I have a couple of 82v FOC controllers that can do 90,000 eRPM. I may have to compare with the 12090 only to 82v. Anything higher will be results from the RV-120-reg only since it's eRPM will always be half of the 12090.

I'm willing to let the chips fall as they may. IMHO, this testing is worth the trouble. You can also be sure that I'll be telling Revolt my opinions of their motors. If they are making crap...I'll be sure to give them an earful! I already gave them feedback on the RV-100-reg back when I got it.

What you and Larsb say is not ignored, but I'll do my own tests and get my own results. Comparison of results is a good thing!

If there are specific things you guys want me to check. post them. I am open to making this as complete as possible.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 07 2019 8:18pm

2 months? This thread started last June. If you're talking about a newer motor, then yeah let's hope they're better. Just take a controller and spin it up and measure the current. That simple test will immediately tell you if it's worth any more time. I'm not going thru the whole thread, but I'm have a sense of deja vu, and really can't believe more money was spent.

BTW, not only do I have HubMonsters, I have over a dozen of their original beast, the MiniMonster (a 3 phase with a 150mm diameter by 50mm) that has the same expensive top quality Japanese laminating steel as HubMonster. I was selling them for a while on the forum after the factory discontinued their production for $200, but like all 3 models, foolish knowitalls tried to say they were too good to be true and very few were smart enough to snag one. Still no one other than CSIRO with their $10k+ 1kw hubbie for solar competitions has sold a hubbie with higher efficiency than any of the 3 Monster hubbies. With a rewind to a Kv of 30 or so, the diminutive Mini-Monster would easily be a 30kw+ motor even keeping rpm relatively low at a quiet 4krpm max.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Mar 07 2019 8:36pm

I encountered this company sometime around 2014 when they started spamming the endless sphere facebook page.

I remember thinking... okay, let's give these guys a chance because they're a small motor manufacturer and it seems like a cool item for ES users..

I asked for a standard dyno sheet and what size laminations were in the motor and they immediately started dodging questions.

I wrote them off as a shitty company and stopped paying attention and later banned them for violating our sales rules again ( ads belong in the sales group )

It seems that they are selling these low quality material motors in a misleading way. Peak power is probably quoted as continuous power. Because there is no way you can make that kind of power *continuously* without thin laminations and/or really high RPM at that size. Many people got fooled by this because they don't understand electrical motor engineering ( something a lot of very smart people on this forum have been trying to teach )

Hopefully some things have changed over there and they are no longer overselling mid 2000's motor designs with those thick 0.5mm laminations.
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 07 2019 9:08pm

The disappointing part with them is when they went to thinner lams, the motors didn't get any better. Since then I've always visualized them as some Israelis using ultra-cheap labor Palistinians to wind their motors. I could be wrong, but that's my impression until they put out a motor with what I feel is appropriate peak efficiency, which is the name of the game to achieve high power in a light-weight motor. In the meantime, I'd rather get the cheapest wound RC type motor from China that at least has decent lam steel and rewind it myself, since the loose hair thin type copper of Hobbyking motors that sing at speed and break copper strands or have missing or bad strands at least give you a reasonable base to build a good motor.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Mar 07 2019 9:36pm

John in CR wrote:
Mar 07 2019 9:08pm
The disappointing part with them is when they went to thinner lams, the motors didn't get any better. Since then I've always visualized them as some Israelis using ultra-cheap labor Palistinians to wind their motors.
Hmm... did they lie about the laminations? I don't see how the motors couldn't have got better.
It's a real shame because they are the perfect size for a single reduction rear.

Yeah, it's weird to see Israelis building motors, if they are at all. Probs just speccing out some motors and reshipping them.

It is sad how little interest there is in efficiency on ebikes. You could build the CSIRO motor of hubs and only two dudes would buy one. I've been trying to badger multiple manufacturers to sell me a DD with 0.27mm lams for use in a 20" bicycle wheel. Even offered to pay 100% of the R&D even if it means a single motor costs me 4x more than their retail price, just so that i can get a prototype and dyno it. No biters!
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 07 2019 10:41pm

They may have gotten a bit better after switching away from the .5mm steel, but the results speak for themselves in that the steel was crap. After the guy in Sweden did a great cargo ebike build based on a Revolt 120, and had nothing but heat problems and high wh/km, I wrote them off to being worse than the cheapest Chinese stuff.

To me efficiency is everything, and even moreso when it comes to hubbies. Not only does efficiency directly impact range, ie the size required of our most expensive part of any EV (the batts), but it also directly impacts performance limits. How else can an ebike hack like me get to enjoy the highest performance 2 wheel EVs? My little commuter scooter embarrasses anything but 1L or bigger sportsbikes leaving red lights, and they have to rev their engines before launch to not be bested out to nearly 1/8th mile. With my bigger machines, I can ride pretty hard (faster than all cars and motos that cross my path) during errands of 20+miles round trip, and the motors never get warmer than 70°C. Then for longer rides I can be conservative with the throttle and get close to 100mi or range... That's what efficiency does for you. Too bad the factory's claims were treated as too good to be true, otherwise many more on the forum would enjoy transportation like I have, and maybe we could have created enough demand to keep them in production. Oh well, at least I have enough for myself despite making them available to all at essentially cost.

larsb   100 kW

100 kW

Post by larsb » Mar 08 2019 1:30am

Now I remember your posts on the Revolt motors...not very thorough or detailed...
...This is far better copper fill in the 120-reg. There's still room for a bit more copper here, but I'd call this 80% full.
Read the thread on rewinding revolt motor..
When you guesstimate copper fill i weighed it and also calculate the fill exactly. 22% :shock:

I bet you a pizza, delivered to your house that you are not even close to the correct fill percent in your other guesses.. 80% is impossible to wind.

You still haven't learned a lot and continue to post misleading data.
Last edited by larsb on Mar 09 2019 7:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride on :D

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 3:04am

Hi folks,

I'm not saying you are right or wrong about Revolt motors.

For all I know nothing has changed and Revolt is making horrible motors like you have experienced. BUT, lets not forget that NONE of you have purchased a Revolt motor recently. How can you really know if what you are saying is still true or not. Old products may or may not be indicative of current products.

Admittedly, the RV-100-reg that I started this thread with never got tested hardly at all. The 157kv made it pretty useless for anything I would want. My intention was to rewind it for a lower Kv and then I could give it a real testing. I never had the time to do that.

The 3 motors I bought and arrived just a week ago are already wound for Kv's usable to me. So then starting with the 120-reg, it will get tested on the bench and on an EV. It's the "low end" of the Revolt product line. Hopefully it will be representative of their worst current products and hopefully that won't be terrible. We will see soon enough!

Let's wait and see before we judge Revolt as being what they were 5 years ago!!! They could have gotten a lot better. You don't know and spinning off track on this rant against Revolt based purely on a bad solder connection in a single low end motor is pretty useless.

I'll be making a motor base for the 120-reg in the next few days. Then I can spin it up and see how it does at various voltages. Tonight I finished up the halls and temp sensor work and now it's closed up again. I have the ability to test battery and phase amps with my clamp on meter. I will post my results and then I'll either agree with or rebuff these older motor issues.

How about we all hold off on what may or may not still be true until I can weigh in on some testing in the next few days. Actual tests on current product line have to prevail over what was made last year or 5 years ago! This is only logical.

The rest of the comments made...not worth commenting on. Really? Race and nationality bias? That's the best "reason" there is for how Revolt was making things in the past? I'm laughing at this illogical point of view!

emmgee   10 W

10 W

Post by emmgee » Mar 08 2019 4:36am

Let's not forget that we're all brothers in arms, fighting for the same interests and not against each other. I'm learning a ton from all of you, despite of (or thanks to) different approaches. Thanks a lot ElectricGod, Larsb, John, neptronix etc.etc.etc.!
Let's give revolt a chance to prove that they learned some lessons. I'm opting for a RV-160Es, so I'm very much interested in the tests of you guys.
Modified Scott Nitrous, 74V, MagicPieV2, waiting for Lebowski-Controller.
Quantya Evo1 and eScooter vRone, waiting for Lebowski-Controller and brushless motor.

madin88   100 MW

100 MW

Post by madin88 » Mar 08 2019 4:55am

ElectricGod wrote:
Mar 07 2019 5:39pm
You will never find out by just looking at them :mrgreen:
I must think about a situation where two people are standing in front of a painting and one says he likes it and the other one not.
I do honest reviews...show the good and bad for the benefit of everyone. I've already said several things about the RV-100-reg and RV-120-reg that I don't like. I also point out things I LIKE about them. I'd do that for any review.
If you do a comparison of two different motors, you should at least do PERFORMANCE relevant measurements what you have not done so far.
It is hard to believe for me too that you spent the money for three new motors without knowing if the first one you bought one year ago performs good or rather not.

larsb   100 kW

100 kW

Post by larsb » Mar 08 2019 10:27am

The problem at ES is that people here are fixing the manufacturers issues. The "single bad soldering" happened to other users and the motors just died since the solder melted. I am pretty sure user "dauntless" or "boisrondevens" had it, can find it if i look a little, One of my two motors had this issue.
If i ask like this: did they improve between 2014 and 2019? Answer is: not as far as we can see in their quality.

Please remind, that kind of issue is a stopper. It's fixed with some hassle for the diy guy but it's still not acceptable. Don't buy their crap..

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 12:15pm

larsb wrote:
Mar 08 2019 10:27am
The problem at ES is that people here are fixing the manufacturers issues. The "single bad soldering" happened to other users and the motors just died since the solder melted. I am pretty sure user "dauntless" or "boirondevens" had it, can find it if i look a little.

One of my two motors had this issue.
If i ask like this: did they improve between 2014 and 2019? Answer is: not as far as we can see in their quality

Please remind, that this issue is a stopper. It's fixed with some hassle for the diy guy but it's still not acceptable. Don't buy their crap..
I agree and disagree with you...LOL!

I'm a modder. I've been messing with hardware of all sorts since I was a kid. If the RV-120 was absolutely perfect, I'd probably STILL try modding it in some way. A direct example of that is is the hubmonster. It's already a very good hub motor. I have 2 of them. Once I finally use one of them in my next build, I'll be pushing it hard and despite them being really good hubs, I'll be modding it for an internal blower. Modding the RV-120-reg becasue it has a few flaws with soldering, does not bother me at all. I'd have probably done something like it anyway! So in this regard refusing to buy this motor for a bad solder job on some wires is NOT a show stopper.

However, the motor should have been made sufficiently well that the solder connections should not have been a problem. I DID say I was disappointed in this and I DID show pictures of what happened. I exposed this flaw in the motor and frankly Revolt ought to get better at this!

Would this one issue with poor soldering stop me from buying another120-reg? No it wouldn't! Especially not if that is the only issue I have with it!!!

However, I haven't tested the motor yet to see if it's a steaming pile of dog sh-t like you claim or a decent outrunner at least as good as the AP 12090.

That HAS YET TO BE DETERMINED!!! I'll let everyone know soon what my comparisons with the 12090 reveal.

Right now I have to emphatically say, STOP the hating...let's see what actual comparison testing reveals. You are NOT helping!!!

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 12:31pm

madin88 wrote:
Mar 08 2019 4:55am
ElectricGod wrote:
Mar 07 2019 5:39pm
You will never find out by just looking at them :mrgreen:
I must think about a situation where two people are standing in front of a painting and one says he likes it and the other one not.
If you do a comparison of two different motors, you should at least do PERFORMANCE relevant measurements what you have not done so far.
It is hard to believe for me too that you spent the money for three new motors without knowing if the first one you bought one year ago performs good or rather not.
I agree! That's why I'll be testing them!

You are more than welcome to spend your money however you choose. Obviously I'll do the same!

I wanted to know about Revolt motors and wanted to share what I found with everyone...so I bought motors. How is that a bad thing in any way? Do you know anybody else willing to do this?

larsb   100 kW

100 kW

Post by larsb » Mar 08 2019 12:32pm

I have my adress ready for when you send that pizza.

onlinepizza.se will deliver straight to my door and i bet they take US credit cards :D
Last edited by larsb on Mar 08 2019 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 1:20pm

emmgee wrote:
Mar 08 2019 4:36am
Let's not forget that we're all brothers in arms, fighting for the same interests and not against each other. I'm learning a ton from all of you, despite of (or thanks to) different approaches. Thanks a lot ElectricGod, Larsb, John, neptronix etc.etc.etc.!
Let's give revolt a chance to prove that they learned some lessons. I'm opting for a RV-160Es, so I'm very much interested in the tests of you guys.
Yes...exactly. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm not for or against anybody...including the posters here or Revolt. I do this thread becasue I personally find it useful and it helps everyone...including Revolt. That is my whole motivation for any thread I do on EV related things.

Hating doesn't help anyone or anything. It's just raw useless emotion. I choose to present lots of images, give opinions based on my observations and inspection of actual motors and do actual testing instead of hating. Anything I may say negative about these motors will be based in actual observations, inspections and testing.

What gets revealed in this thread from me will be done to show Revolt motors for what they are today. Some of those things may be good and some may not be good. I will do all of that based on observations, inspection of actual motors and testing.

So far, I don't find them to be inferior to Alien Power motors and in fact in several ways they are better. More to come soon!

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 1:43pm

Hi everyone,

This is a Revolt motor review thread. Lets stick to facts about the motors!

I'm going to ignore all the hating and non-relevant things posted that have nothing to do with actual Revolt motors. This is directed at everyone. What a waste of time!

Larsb,

I know you did a rewind of a Revolt motor some time ago.
I invite you to present some specific details here about that motor. Things that will be helpful and specific to this threads intent and purpose.

1. Post pictures!!! I'd love to see images of the bare stator and images of general motor build quality.
2. What motor did you rewind?
3. Why did you rewind it?
4. What benefit if any was derived from rewinding?
5. What issues did you have?
6. What caused you to draw the conclusion that the original motor wind needed to be replaced?
7. Post actual test results.

Thanks for getting back on topic!

larsb   100 kW

100 kW

Post by larsb » Mar 08 2019 2:18pm

It's in my threads, can't you find it?

Let's just agree that some of us including me were lied to through the inflated specs and poor performance. I paid total 500usd but couldn't get a warranty replacement when the hall sensors didn't work (which i had proof on)

The poor copper fill, soldering etc was equally justifying the replacement.

User wheazel had issues, boisrondevens,johnnydrive, me. I can't remember a single happy user actually.

I wouldn't want to support the same company again with my cash, but that is what you are doing. Please stop calling it hating.
Last edited by larsb on Mar 08 2019 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

larsb   100 kW

100 kW

Post by larsb » Mar 08 2019 2:34pm

neptronix wrote:
Mar 07 2019 9:36pm
I've been trying to badger multiple manufacturers to sell me a DD with 0.27mm lams for use in a 20" bicycle wheel. Even offered to pay 100% of the R&D even if it means a single motor costs me 4x more than their retail price, just so that i can get a prototype and dyno it. No biters!
Maybe it's time for a group buy? I'll be happy to pay for one motor in the 500 usd range later this year. Even though shipping cost would be less than optimal :D

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 3:11pm

larsb wrote:
Mar 08 2019 2:18pm
It's in my threads, can't you find it?

Let's just agree that some of us including me were lied to through the inflated specs and poor performance. I paid total 500usd but couldn't get a warranty replacement when the hall sensors didn't work (which i had proof on)

The poor copper fill, soldering etc was equally justifying the replacement.

User wheazel had issues, biosrondevens,johnnydrive, me. I can't remember a single happy user actually.

I wouldn't want to support the same company again with my cash, but that is what you are doing. Please stop calling it hating.
Since you have better familiarity with these other peoples threads than I do, WHEN did they have issues? Was it last week or was it years ago?

Things change, products hopefully improve, companies get feedback on their products and make improvements. What was true a year ago may no longer be relevant. Do any of those people have current experience with Revolt products made recently? If they don't, are their experiences still valid?

My oldest motor (RV-100-regular) is less than a year old. The rest are just 2 months old. Does anybody have experience with Revolt motors newer than this? My results and testing will be on current products. That HAS to take precedence over what was made by Revolt a long time ago!

I was hoping you would be more helpful than expecting me to find your threads. This is not about me finding your threads, but rather posting what you found here for the benefit of everyone. IE: Putting it all in one place! I'll be covering every Revolt motor I currently have and possibly I'll get a few more. This thread is dedicated to Revolt motor reviews! Good documentation...pictures, test results, measurements, etc are what I want here.

This is just statements about human behavior:
1. Most people like to complain, but they won't bother putting any time or effort into anything to present facts or to back up what they say.
2. Trying to push people into agreeing with you rarely works. Push harder and they agree with you less.
3. People are generally lazy. Readers of this thread won't spend any time hunting down mentions of people and other threads. They will look at the pictures first and foremost and then skim over the rest if it seems relevant to them.
4. Presenting things in clear terms that are quickly understood and easy to grasp always gets the attention of more people.
5. Pictures are an excellent teaching tool. I use them a lot as a result.
6. We live in a world of instant gratification. People don't spend time researching things. Make it quick and easy to understand or don't bother.

Any and ALL AP motor specs are hugely inflated! You will never run a 12090 at 18kw continuous and probably even instantaneous would be useless. How many motor controllers out there are sold by their peak specs instead of continuous specs? Aren't all of these lies? I'd prefer real continuous specs, but lets face facts, this is RARE. I always take whatever specs there are for a thing and reduce by 20-30%. Everybody lies! Why look at Revolt like they are special in this regard? They did what everybody else does...exaggerate their specs!

drc   10 mW

10 mW

Post by drc » Mar 08 2019 4:01pm

EG your passion and intrigue is admirable. Your past posts are a great read and stand out from many others on here. As an average consumer you get my vote. Anyway keep posting and disregard the non helpful comments, as it is only words on a screen. Nothing more. Others please feel free to comment on what i have said. I wont respond. I like the wealth of information that is available here as there are great minds and unfortunately the usual disruptive forum keyboard warriors.

EG please continue...................

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 4:38pm

drc wrote:
Mar 08 2019 4:01pm
EG your passion and intrigue is admirable. Your past posts are a great read and stand out from many others on here. As an average consumer you get my vote. Anyway keep posting and disregard the non helpful comments, as it is only words on a screen. Nothing more. Others please feel free to comment on what i have said. I wont respond. I like the wealth of information that is available here as there are great minds and unfortunately the usual disruptive forum keyboard warriors.

EG please continue...................
Thanks Daniel! I appreciate the support. And I will continue!

madin88   100 MW

100 MW

Post by madin88 » Mar 08 2019 4:52pm

When going through this thread it seems like you do not have much interest to do and share the measurements because so far it is only a discussion about what you like and what you dislike from the looking and some mechanical aspects.
This is a bit annoying as the thread says "motor review and comparisons" which should be changed then to something like "pictures of revolt motor internals".

I must say that i am with larsb as the work he had put into his RV120 review and rewinding was quite helpful for potential buyers (like me).
EG you mentioned that the latest batches of the Regular or PRO versions might be better as older ones... I dont think they are as every manufacturer would at least give them the name V2 then or something like that, but i still have hope that you do the measurements.

ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Revolt RV-120-regular

Post by ElectricGod » Mar 08 2019 5:03pm

So then back on topic...

I got the halls and temp sensor installation finished up. all I need to do now is make the motor base and I can start testing this motor. Better bearings for it will arrive in a few days.

The cardboard between the stator and magnets let me get the halls in there without needing to pull the bell off. Looks like a mess of wires, but it gets cleaned up.

All secured and ready to go.

The halls need a bit more thermal glue around them, remove the cardboard and that will get them set up permanently. For an initial bench test, this is OK for now.

I made a notch next to the phase wire to bring out the hall cable. Milling on my drill press isn't ideal, but loads better than any other option I have on hand. A 1/4" end mill made quick work with making this wire slot a bit bigger.

The halls and temp sensor come out to an IP68 6 pin connector. I use these connectors extensively. They are inexpensive and work really well. I have yet to have them every give me a moments trouble and they are water proof and secure.

Closed up and ready for testing after I have made the motor base. The halls have been tested multiple times before and after installation in the motor.