Torque Sensor vs Throttle

netrat

10 µW
Just found out.. 350w bafang max motor throttle doesn't kick in till 6mph but to counter this evelo tech said you set the computer in turbo mode and as soon as you add pressure to the petal the torque sensor sends the motor to full throttle?

If thats the case..do the other manuf's also operate this way? I've been specifcally shopping the cruiser types for the Bafang BBS02 with full throttle, Evelo Galaxys only option is the 350Max with torque sensor?

If these torque sensors operate this way..then I'll also include other motors besides Bafang. Help

Would you really want the motor to go full power as soon as you start to pedal, anytime you put pressure on the pedals?

It'd kinda defeat the whole point of having a torque sensor at all, since cheaper PAS systems already do this. (and are hard to control because of it).

good point, I can see where the sensitivity on the torque sensor would certainly need to be adjusted to stop accidental launches. my hub drive btw has a throttle and quite frankly..its a sweet option which I love. Anyway, the bike I'm currently very interested in (Evelo Galaxy- gates belt,nuvinci harmony) only comes with Bafang 350max with throttle at 6mph so the tech mentioned overcoming this with the TS. Hopefully someone here has this motor with built-in TS.

Well, if it works the way you said up above, then right now you have your own throttle control above 6MPH, but entering "turbo mode" disables your own control of the throttle entirely, as well as any control you'd have via torque sensor in the pedals, and it simply always goes full throttle as soon as any pedal pressure is detected. That doesn't seem like a very controllable method, even with as low a power as 350W.

While not having throttle control until 6MPH might be annoying, it'd be a lot better to be able to control the power via the pedal torque up to that point, and then be able to use either pedal torque or throttle to control it above that point, than to not have any control over it at all, other than full on or completely off, especially for such an expensive system.

Where would one program out the 6 mph thing? I am looking at the program fields and do not see anything like this. I am very interested in the Galaxy if I can get rid of this. Using the throttle from a dead stop is big help for old people.

Back