Motor sounds like a faucet at low RPMs

I have a Sevcon Gen4 Size 6 with a ME1304 (PMAC) motor, and whenever I give it any throttle, under load or not, it makes a sound like a faucet running. If it is under a lot of load, I will also get a slight screeching noise.

It seems to be giving me a bit less power than I was sold, and is spinning the wrong direction, but this sound seems kind of odd. I've never heard it from an electric motor before.

Has anyone else heard this from their motors, and if so, is it indicative of something incorrectly done?

If it is spinning in the wrong direction then it is wired improperly. Wire it to spin the right direction and then see if it is still making noises.

Also, did you over heat the motor? If you did then a magnet may have come loose in the motor and is rubbing on the stater. Or it might be a bearing.

First get it wired properly. Second, if the sound is still there, check the simple things like a rubbing break part. If it is still making the sound, and nothing on the outside is rubbing, then it is internal like a bearing or magnet problem.

The sound is there at 0rpm, when nothing is moving, so I don't think it is a bearing or magnet.

I'm not entirely sure how to get it spinning the right direction; I read somewhere it is accomplished by swapping M1 and M3 wires and the Sin/Cos wires. I'll do some more digging later, I'd like to understand what I'm doing before I do it!

Back