Custom made #219 pitch sprockets?

brumbrum

100 kW
I have an lmx161 and want to soften the chain and sprocket noise by enlarging both front and rear sprockets. The front 12t sprocket is the noisey one but if I want to keep the same gearing 1:7.8 I will have to enlarge the rear sprocket too.
The rear sprocket is go kart fitment, but sprockets mass produced only my go to 99tooth (as far as i have seen), I will need more. The small sprocket attached to the 14mm lmx motor shaft I want to increase from 12t to say 15t. I cannot find any with the right bore size or tooth count. Closest I’ve found is on the Lighteningrods website which is 15mm bore hole.
Are there any forum members fabricating such needs? Or any company’s preferably in U.K or Europe or even in the U.S that could custom make what I need?

http://www.rocketsprocket.net/rocket2018_007.htm

This is a US company so shipping might be painful but they do sell up to 105 teeth. They will also do custom for $1 per tooth I think. They also offer mini sprockets in uncommon low sizes like 50tooth.

If you buy from them MAKE SURE YOU EMAIL AND ASK FOR A NON-SPLIT SPROCKET!

Im not yelling at you. Just making sure I dont repeat the situation from a couple years back where I referred a bunch of people there and they missed the part about specifying non split. I think Lightning Rods ordered a bunch and they were 2 piece.

As for the front, i think you are going to need a machinist to make you an adapter or a sleeve for the 14mm. I've never seen that shaft size in an off the shelf sprocket.

DanGT86 said:
http://www.rocketsprocket.net/rocket2018_007.htm

This is a US company so shipping might be painful but they do sell up to 105 teeth. They will also do custom for $1 per tooth I think. They also offer mini sprockets in uncommon low sizes like 50tooth.

If you buy from them MAKE SURE YOU EMAIL AND ASK FOR A NON-SPLIT SPROCKET!

Im not yelling at you. Just making sure I dont repeat the situation from a couple years back where I referred a bunch of people there and they missed the part about specifying non split. I think Lightning Rods ordered a bunch and they were 2 piece.

As for the front, i think you are going to need a machinist to make you an adapter or a sleeve for the 14mm. I've never seen that shaft size in an off the shelf sprocket.

Thanks man! Really helpful. Yeah, i aint seen anything with a 14mm bore hole, its hard enough finding any kind of small sprockets for 219 size chain. Lightenrods has them but with largrr bore hole and adapter they sell is wrong size. I need a 15t front sproct and a 117t rear to keep the same gearing ratio as i have at the moment.

https://www.accelerationkarting.com/kartmasterprdenginesprocket.html

These come with a 14mm adapter but are made with a threaded locknut type mount. However, that leads me to believe there is a common kart shaft in 14mm that other companies might make things for.

If space permits it on the motor, you should have an adapter made that use these bolt flange type. Basically make a top hat for these to slip on and bolt to with a 14mm hole through the center to mount on your motor.

Alternative would just be a sleeve thats 14mm ID and 3/4" od with a stepped key through it so you can buy off the shelf 3/4" bore sprockets.

If you were closer I could make it for you. Shipping overseas would probably make it not worth our time.

DanGT86 said:
https://www.accelerationkarting.com/kartmasterprdenginesprocket.html

These come with a 14mm adapter but are made with a threaded locknut type mount. However, that leads me to believe there is a common kart shaft in 14mm that other companies might make things for.

If space permits it on the motor, you should have an adapter made that use these bolt flange type. Basically make a top hat for these to slip on and bolt to with a 14mm hole through the center to mount on your motor.

Alternative would just be a sleeve thats 14mm ID and 3/4" od with a stepped key through it so you can buy off the shelf 3/4" bore sprockets.

If you were closer I could make it for you. Shipping overseas would probably make it not worth our time.
sprocket.png

Yes, A 14mm adapter sleeve like this is all i would need, with 4mm keyways http://lightning-rods10.mybigcommerce.com/12mm-sprocket-adapter/

I have no international shipping experience whatsoever. How much do you think it would cost to have one sent from the middle of the US to you?
I'm in zip code 63116

DanGT86 said:
I have no international shipping experience whatsoever. How much do you think it would cost to have one sent from the middle of the US to you?
I'm in zip code 63116

Not much, If sent by normal airmail in a padded jiffy envelope. Probably only 10 or 15usd

Hi, I recently had this problem when building up a go kart to test a few motors on.
Usually I'd make, or get made a sprocket (machining, wire cutting etc) but this can be expensive. As I wanted to test two motors and use #219 pitch with 20t and 30t on the motor the number of combinations would be cost prohibitive.

What I ended up doing was laser cutting stainless steel 4mm sheets. The motor's spline was unknown so it was measured that up and looked up the critical dimensions for #219 sprockets (easily found after a search on the internet). I did a simple 2D drawing and got the DXF laser cut at a local firm. the total cost was about 60 GBP.

I layered up the plates and tapped that inner most plate, the result was a kind of layered sprocket. the chamfer was simply filed onto the teeth.

The reason for stainless steel is because it cuts very well on fine detail with a laser.

View attachment 1
IMG_7179.jpg

Back