Best motor for hauling 150kg person

mitirino

1 µW
Hello,

I need to figure out what is the best hub motor (and battery) to use for this scenario:

• not assist, just throttle
  • up to 150kg person (in reality 100kg will be max)
  • starting from 0 km/h, and capable to maintain low speed even upslope
  • needs to climb up to 30 degree slope, but ideally even more
  • want to be able to go over obstacles at zero speed... so you put the front tire on the curb and power it over it
  • 20 km/h max speed is good (on horizontal surface, not upslope)
  • about 25-30 km range
  • rear drive
  • longevity is very important - for both the motor and the battery
  • cost is much less important than longevity
  • ideally quiet

If someone can give me a simple enough answer for a non-technical person it will be awesome... something like "X motor with Y battery" :)
But if a more complicated answer is needed, I'll try to follow.

If this is not the best place to post such a question in this forum, could you please point me to the best place?

Thank you!

Dimitre

30* slope is extremely steep. I doubt you could ride up 30*. Maybe you mean something else, like 30 in 1 gradient?

20kph top speed is extremely low.

Why is longevity so important at any cost? Is this thing going into space? The thing that will determine longevity is mostly the battery and beyond that the performance criteria. Any decent battery, managed properly will have longevity beyond what you are likely to keep the bike for (hundreds of cycles).

What are the crazy conditions this thing will operate in? More important, what's your budget? Nearly any decent ebike motor will fulfill those criteria if you gear it down to 20kph top speed.

Thank you!

What are the options to "gear it down"? Because I want it to be a hub motor so I will need to "adjust" its internal gearing.

I actually meant 30 degrees, but I agree it's steep.
But I was hoping the lower max speed will contribute to a more powerful setup that can climb steeper.

I actually need it for a wheelchair type of device, not a bike. That's why 20km/h is quite enough.

The longevity is again needed because I don't want to have to deal with it too often. I want to have peace of mind.

I tried with a 250W motor with a 36V battery, (I think 15A controller, but this goes beyond my comfort level with electricity :) ), and this setup works well on horizontal, but has trouble at low speed, especially when I want to start from a stop and upslope... the motor seems to stall and needs a bit of a push to kick in.

Back