Speed

Realbucks

1 µW
I just purchased and installed a kit on a 29 inch shimano cruiser. 1500w motor, 48v controller. Can’t get more than 25mph out of it. Have the P settings for the 1500w motor correctly set. Any suggestions?

What kind of kit is it?

You are pretty close to what you can expect for 1500W. Wind resistance will equal motor power and that's all you get. Downhill or tail wind it should go faster. There may be some kind of speed limitation in software that holds it back. This would depend on the model of controller.

Another test is to put a speedometer on the rear wheel and lift it off the ground and see what kind of no-load speed it gets.

"1500W" means nothing; it's only a rating. If you can determine voltage and current at your max speed, and what percentage of your motor's free speed that is, you can reckon roughly how many watts are getting to the ground.

My guess is that the 29" wheel is limiting both thrust and efficiency versus what your motor is potentially capable of.

25mph is plenty for a cruiser (too much for the usual brakes on most of them). Do you really want to push it until you get hurt?

fechter said:
Another test is to put a speedometer on the rear wheel and lift it off the ground and see what kind of no-load speed it gets.

Yup..

I've seen some companies selling 1500w motors these days wound to do 40mph on 48v with insufficient amperage set in the controller to reach the crazy speed per volt.

It's the stupidest setup ever because there are very few batteries out there capable of putting that power out, and of course the vendor kinda skips over that part.. :lol:

If he has one of these and an insufficient battery for delivering the 40-60 amps of continuous current needed, the no-load test will tell the truth..

Chalo said:
If you can determine voltage and current at your max speed, and what percentage of your motor's free speed that is, you can reckon roughly how many watts are getting to the ground.

Dear SIR, how do I determine voltage and current at my max speed?

I have an electrical bike with control display LED model 810. Battery is 36V 21A, hub mounted motor 36V/350W and on controller is write 13+/-1A, 120'. The bike is limitated electronical at 25km/h. What can I buy for increase the speed (a new controller 500W unlimited or a new control display model 810/880/890 or another thing)?
Can I use some LCD display for seeing the speed also? What kind of display?

ravjohn said:
Chalo said:
If you can determine voltage and current at your max speed, and what percentage of your motor's free speed that is, you can reckon roughly how many watts are getting to the ground.

Dear SIR, how do I determine voltage and current at my max speed?

You use a measuring device.
Here's one example:
http://www.amazon.com/Watt-Meter-Power-Analyzer-Measurement/dp/B071ZK3CKW

I have an electrical bike with control display LED model 810. Battery is 36V 21A, hub mounted motor 36V/350W and on controller is write 13+/-1A, 120'. The bike is limitated electronical at 25km/h. What can I buy for increase the speed (a new controller 500W unlimited or a new control display model 810/880/890 or another thing)?
Can I use some LCD display for seeing the speed also? What kind of display?

Your battery is rated 21Ah capacity, or 21A maximum current?

It sounds to me like you could go faster with a controller that carries more current and doesn't have electronic speed limiting. Some such controllers include an LCD display, though this option increases the cost substantially.

If all you want to know is your speed, a simple cycle computer will tell you that, plus miles traveled, average and maximum speeds, etc.

Back