Solid State relays Controller?

Hello everyone,

Please forgive my noobness if this is a silly question, but I was wondering if, according to you, it would be possible to build a controller power stage out of DC-DC Solid state relays.
The point being that it would be very easy to swap those in case of problem, or even to upgrade them whenever needed. Plus they would be totally insulated from the brains since they are usually working with optocouplers. I can see many advantages using those instead of classic mosfets/drivers.

Does such systems exist? If not, any idea as to why?

Solid state relays are bricks made of mosfets and isolated couplers selected for a different purpose. Why is this better than mosfets and isolated couplers selected for the purpose of driving a motor?

I think they are generally too slow to be used in a PWM switching application. They do make IGBT and MOSFET modules that look similar but use a conventional driver circuit. Most of them are very expensive.

Dui said:
Please forgive my noobness if this is a silly question, but I was wondering if, according to you, it would be possible to build a controller power stage out of DC-DC Solid state relays.
Nope. They are specialized devices intended to turn DC power on and off fairly slowly. You want something that will switch a motor lead between two supply rails very quickly.
The point being that it would be very easy to swap those in case of problem, or even to upgrade them whenever needed.
There are plenty of monolithic H-bridge MOSFET devices out there. For example, the Microsemi APTM20AM04FG is a 2-MOSFET half-bridge good to 200 volts and 300 amps.

Back