What kind of motor is this?

gotgraham

1 mW
Please pardon my motor tech ignorance lol. This is the parking pawl motor for a 2016 Nissan Leaf. It's marked 12v. Taking it apart:

- 12 coils
- Rotor is iron, non-magnetic.
- The coils are connected to a common wire.
- There are 3 drive wires for the coils. In the picture you can see how they're wired.
- There is a hall sensor board in the bottom - I'm assuming to detect motor position / speed.

Is this a brushless DC motor? Can someone direct me to some generic documentation for driving this type of motor?

original_IMG_4949.jpg

Thank you!!
Jacob

If the rotor isn't magnetic, wouldn't that make it a switched reluctance motor?

gotgraham said:
Is this a brushless DC motor? Can someone direct me to some generic documentation for driving this type of motor?
Yep. SRM motor, characterized by large, nonmagnetic salient poles on the rotor. No windings on the rotor. Are there separate (small) magnets for the Hall sensors? If not they will work when the motor is in operation but not when power is off, which can lead to problems with some controllers.

billvon said:
gotgraham said:
Yep. SRM motor, characterized by large, nonmagnetic salient poles on the rotor. No windings on the rotor. Are there separate (small) magnets for the Hall sensors? If not they will work when the motor is in operation but not when power is off, which can lead to problems with some controllers.

Yep! The case side of the rotor has small magnet(s) for the halls.

In case anyone is interested for future reference. I figured out the pinout:

Halls:

Orange - Direction
Green - RPM
White - Ground
Red - +5v

Coils:

Dark Green - Common
Light Green - Phase 1
Blue - Phase 2
Black - Phase 3

Here's what the dir and speed looks like. Both are 0-1v with 5v vcc.

Forward -
original_IMG_4964.JPG

Reverse -
original_IMG_4963.JPG

Speed -
original_IMG_4971.JPG

Back