Problem with 10 inch hoverboard hub motors

countz

1 µW
Hi, this is my first post and I hope someone might be able to help me.
I am trying to run two 36V hub motors with sensored RC car ESCs on 2s for testing, before I buy higher voltage controllers.
No matter what phase/sensor cable combination I try, the best I can get is smooth operation in one direction and very rough running with a lot of vibration and unreliable start in the other direction. The ESCs have zero timing in both directions (blinky mode in RC slang). It seems to me like the sensors are not placed with neutral timing, but that would not make a lot of sense for a hoverboard, I guess. If anyone has an idea, what the problem might be, I would be very thankful.

Correct, those motors have to work in both directions so timing should be neutral. Does the ESC have a reverse function? How are you reversing the motor?

If you swap phase wires to reverse it, you also need to swap the hall signals.

The ESCs are programmable for Forward/Brake, Forward/Brake/Reverse, Forward/Reverse. I use them in Forward/Reverse mode for my robot. I now tested in Forward/Brake mode, to see which ESC direction causes the problem and it seems the hub motors do not like the ESCs reverse signal. If I swap the phase and sensor wires to get the motor turn in the other motor direction, both motor directions are smooth with the ESCs forward signal. I do not know, what the ESC does different for forward and reverse and the RC hobby motors I am using at the moment, do not have this problem.

That's an ESC issue. Since the motor runs fine both directions when rewired, the motor itself must be OK. It might have a non-standard hall configuration that doesn't play nice with the reverse feature on the ESC or the ESC has a funky reverse function.

Back