Issue with PAS

Lagoethe

10 W
Hello,

I bought a non-working electric bakfiets (as we call).
The former owner had the cable from his PAS torn off, and he had no time to repair it.
He had only time to change the PAS, but the bike wasn't working anymore.

So here is where i am now:
- The controller:
-36VDC
-12A
-Speed set 1.1-4.2VDUAL MODE
- www.china.zipu.com (doesn't work)
- Brakes: Low Level
- Booster five power

- Motor: Hub 36V

- Display: s.widom

- Battery: 36V

When i plug everything (at least everything which was plugged when i bought it),
- I can spin, but i can't get assist from the motor + the display tells me that i'm running at 0km/h (=0 mph..)
- I can activate the walking function: makes the motor spin to a 6km/h

When i unplug the PAS:
- I can spin, but i can't get assist from the motor + the display tells me that i'm running at my actual speed.

I tried to switch the wires of the PAS. I got an error from the display + same result as "PAS unplugged"

I tried to switch the way the PAS magnetic disk was put: no change

I can access to advanced setting of my display(see below), i dind't change a thing from now...

P01 = 3 (Brightness display unit 1 = dark, 2 = middle, 3 = brightest)
P02 = 0 (Settings Km or Miles, 0 = KM, 1 = MILE)
P03 = 36 (Setting Voltage: 24V, 36V, 48V, 36V = default default)
P04 = 0 (Standby time: 0 = none, other numbers set the time after how long the bicycle goes on standby
Units = minutes)
P05 = 1 (Set support modes per mode)
0, 3Mode: 1Ver2V, 2Ver3V, 3Ver 4V, 4Ver 5V, 5LevelR6V
1, 5Mode: 1levelr2V, 2lever 2.5V, 3lever 3V, 4lever 3.5V, 5lever 4V
P06 = 20 (Wheel diameter at 20inch rims, unit = inch. Accuracy = 0.1)
P07 = 1 (Speed measurement by means of magnetic poles Number of magnetic poles: units = 1-100 number of poles
(do not change))
P08 = 25 (Maximum speed setting from 0-50 km / h)
(note: if the speed is greater than the defined speed, a signal will be issued to it
the engine. If the speed falls below the value, a signal will be given to the motor with a
deviation of + 1km / h. When the bike is configured to display miles, it will automatically
be converted.
P09 = 1 (Start setting from standstill (On / off): 0 = start, 1 = not start)
P10 = 2 (Drive mode setting)
0 = power handle mode
1 = electric PAS
2 = power handle + PAS (P09 is off)
P11 = 2 (Motor sensitivity setting, position 1-24)
P12 = 1 (setting for sensitivity of the electrical assistance at start 0-5)
P13 = 8 (Setting magnet plate (type 5 Sherwin grain, 3 types))
P14 = 14 (Setting maximum current lower limit for controller)
Setting options = 1 - 20 AH (12AH default)

SO i think that:
- Battery OK
- Motor controller:might be ok
- PAS...

First question:
Can a motor fail only by reading the pas ?

Second question:
Do the number of magnets on the PAS highly modify the working of the motorcontroller?

Thrid question:
Can a display modify the programmation of my motor controller : see paramater n°13 ... (much hope in it)?

Thanks by advance for your Help

Lagoethe said:
The former owner had the cable from his PAS torn off, and he had no time to repair it.
He had only time to change the PAS, but the bike wasn't working anymore.
Did you get the old PAS with the bike? If so, it might help you figure out either how to hook up the new one, or figure out why the new one doesn't work while the old one did.

If the old one is not a pulse-type PAS like the new one, that might be why it isn't working.

Or, if the old one is a reed-switch type pulse PAS and the new one is a hall-type pulse PAS, the controller might not have a power wire for the hall-type PAS, so it might not work.

If the old was hall and new is reed, then there might not be the right kind of pulse for the controller to read.

When i plug everything (at least everything which was plugged when i bought it),
- I can spin, but i can't get assist from the motor + the display tells me that i'm running at 0km/h (=0 mph..)
- I can activate the walking function: makes the motor spin to a 6km/h

When i unplug the PAS:
- I can spin, but i can't get assist from the motor + the display tells me that i'm running at my actual speed.
This almost sounds like something in the PAS plug is shorting out the power to the speed sensor...except if that was happening, the walking function couldn't be limited to a certain speed, as it wouldn't know what speed it was at. So that' cant' be the problem. :/

I can't think of something that would do what you are actually seeing.

First question:
Can a motor fail only by reading the pas ?
If you mean, can everything work except by PAS, then sure. If it has a throttle connector you could hook one up and see if it will move by throttle.

Second question:
Do the number of magnets on the PAS highly modify the working of the motorcontroller?
Not exactly--the more magnets, the "higher resolution" it can have, as long as there is a setting to adjust the number of magnets (poles). If there's no setting to change it, then more magnets means the system thinks you're pedalling faster than you actually are, by the ratio of the difference between the number of magnets it should have (is set to) and the number actually present.

Thrid question:
Can a display modify the programmation of my motor controller : see paramater n°13 ... (much hope in it)?
I don't know.

Thanks for your answer

Below a little update considering your answer:

The former sensor is a DH sensor
http://www.kingmeters.com/project/dh-sensor/
Apparently it's a doublehall sensor

On the new one I got only very few information cause i don't have the tool to dismount the crank housing/crank set (yet)
It's written "Power assisted / Sensor V series" on it. i can't read the back of the sensor(for the reason explained above)
It has 3 wires

So i'll try to find a doublehall sensor, or try to contact kingmeter (don't know if they deliver yet)

Last point:
This almost sounds like something in the PAS plug is shorting out the power to the speed sensor...except if that was happening, the walking function couldn't be limited to a certain speed, as it wouldn't know what speed it was at. So that' cant' be the problem. :/
Actually I don't think the walking function limits itself to a certain speed. I mean when i activate the walking function, the motor is activated, and i'm not sure that i can't go faster than 6km/h. But the power delivered is so low that may be the case.

How can i possibly check if the power is shorted ?
I have a basic multimeter, the 3 wires are black, green and red.
Is it something like black = 0V red = 5V green = value of speed ?

I explained before:
I tried to switch the wires of the PAS. I got an error from the display + same result as "PAS unplugged"
That is because the wire colors of the motor controller, where not "aligned" with the color of the PAS sensor
This information might be of any help.
Do different PAS sensor type have different wire order?

Much <3 to this forum

Back