Smooth eDrive is a VESC compatible 12-FET ESC for ebikes. It's designed to be powerful without breaking the bank.
I've been using a VESC V4.12 ESC for my ebike for a year now. It's been a great controller and I'm a big fan of the FOC mode, but it's definitely undersized for an ebike.
I wanted to have a more powerful VESC for my ebike, but when I started this project there weren't many VESC variants available. I designed my own VESC-compatible ESC so that I could have the power and features that I want. If other people are interested in this controller, I will have enough parts to build more units.
PCB Renderings: Features
- Full FOC support, with current sensors on each phase
- Works with batteries up to 80V. Power stage is rated for 100V
- Highly customizable
- Uses open source VESC firmware
- Uses aluminum extrusion case for good heat dissipation
- MOSFET temperature sensing and protection
- Flexible wiring options:
- Analog throttle and regen inputs. Also has spare analog input.
- 12V enable, can be connected to a switch to turn ESC and 12V supply on/off
- Optional USB connection, for PC configuration and realtime data monitor/logging
- CAN bus support, multiple VESC controllers can be linked for 2WD setups with traction control
- Built-in 12V 3A power supply, to run ESC and external 12V accessories.
- Low power 5V and 3.3V to power hall sensors, throttles, etc
- Compatible with optional bluetooth module
- Field weakening
- Battery temperature monitoring and protection