No Valid Forward Hall Combinations

Controller works fine on another motor, motor works fine on another controller. I have three valid reverse hall/phase combos, but no forward. From a valid reverse combo, I swapped two phase wires and then went through the hall combinations. There is one that slightly spins, but it is not valid. From there, I went through all of the combinations and found two more valid reverse, but no more valid forward combinations.

Last edited:
Most likley the motor has halls installed slightly offset from neutral timing. The original controller either tolerated it or was designed for it (if it came with the motor), and the new controller just doesn't, so it works in reverse but not in forward. Something like Burtie's Timing Adjuster would fix that, but it'd probably be cheaper and/or easier to get a different controller or motor. Or you could mod the motor to move the hall sensors clockwise or counterclockwise (as a complete set) just a bit to change the timing.

Some controllers still have a reverse function even if ti's not wired up. You could open the controller and check the PCB for unused pad pairs. Usually the signal gets shorted to ground to activate the options. IIRC, on the old XC controllers I've had, "X3" was the reverse pad.

Searching ES for "Xie chang reverse" finds quite a few posts and threads, many not relevant; this one
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29047&p=418768&hilit=xie+chang+reverse#p418768
describes some of the pad functions on that version, hopefully yours is the same.

Interesting, I never considered timing to be an issue with a controller's ability to spin the motor. I've had several motors with pretty advanced timing and no major issues before now.

Regardless, thanks for the lead on the reverse function! It took a little probing, but I found it and got it to work. Even regen functions correctly, which was a surprise.

Maybe this one has retarded timing instead?

Or maybe the halls are not all the same relative timing to each other.

Or maybe the signals are not as "clean" as this particular controller "needs" them to be.

Lots of possibilities...but the timing thing has been a problem with various motors and controllers before.

Is the motor installed correctly? If yes, remount the wheel so that your wheel spins forward. (spin the axle 180 degrees.)

:D :bolt:

Back