Controller

Efu

1 mW
Hi
Have a scooter with 1500w motor and a 1000w controller.
It was kind of weak uphills so i thougt about to upgrade it.
I bought a 2000w controller that was plug and play for the scooter.
Upgraded battery 60v 12Ah to a Samsungcellpack 60v 27Ah. (50A cont/150A peak)
Installed battery first, made some difference.
Then i installed new controller, made no difference at all? (feelt almost worse)
Cycle Analyzer showed a diffrence in max amp by 0.2A from first controller.
Am i totally wrong when i think that the controller is the part that desides what
power is put out to the motor?
Shouldnt the 2000w controller put out more Amps, increasing strength/tourqe? (volt same, no speed increase)
Kind regards
Stefan

The controller does limit the power / current the motor gets, so if your usage is limited by the controller, if it's the bottleneck, then yes, it would help.

But if the system isn't being loaded to the point it draws more than the controller is capable of, then it won't make any difference, other than keeping the controller cooler by some amount because it isn't being pushed as hard, relative to the smaller one.

Since you have a CA on there, do you have it setup to limit current, power, etc? Or is it only monitoring the voltage and current?

(if the throttle connector only goes to the controller from the throttle, then it is likely the CA does not physically have the abilty to do limiting--but it can if the 6pin CA connector is used to connect it to the controller, and the controller is wired to allow this).

Thank you for reply:)
I only have CA for monitoring current and volt.
this is the answer i got from seller:

Hi, following is answer for you:
1. The controller only can use on connect the motor and battery. To let scooter workable. It can’t change the speed and power.
2. If you need increase the speed, you need buy 2000w motor not 2000w controller.

is that true?

As long as the load of the system is enough to require more watts, then you actually need to change both, *and* the battery (but you already did this). However, most motors are capable of more than their "ratings" (whcih are usually next to meaningless except under the specific conditions they were lab-tested at to get those ratings, if they *were* tested at all).

Generally you need a higher wattage motor if it is getting too hot while under the load your system puts on it. If it's not hot, higher wattage motor itself won't change anything.

As previously noted, it depends on your load, meaning how much work the system has to do.

If there is not enough load, it wont' demand more than a certain watts, and it won't matter how big a motor, controller, and battery you have, it will never go beyond those watts.

FWIW, if you post all the info that is on the label of the old controller, and all that is on the new controller, we might see something that indicates the problem. (probably not, but worht a shot). Usually the current limit is the most important thing, but any info might help.

The thing you might be running into, however, is a speed "limit", which effectively limits what you can do.

Sometimes this limit is the controller, where it actually has a speed limit on how fast it will allow the motor to spin. Usually this means it has a display or a computer-based programming utility that lets you set the wheel size (because without knowing that, the controller can't know how fast you're going). You can check with the seller or manufacturer of the controller to see about this.

Some controllers also have programmable current limits, and may not be set to their maximum by the factory. They may require you to hook it up to a computer and use the factory-provided software (whcih may not be avaialble to you) to change it. So while the controller is technically capable of more power, and is advertised as such, you can't actually *use* that power because of the settings you can't access.

Some controllers are advertised as a certain wattage, but stil have the same current limit as a lower wattage controller. This means that on the same voltage system, they wll both be the same wattage. It would take a higher voltage system to get the higher wattage out of the controller (assuming it is capable of a higher voltage).

Sometimes the wattage rating of a controller (or motor, etc) is just marketing, and isn't actually true.

More often, the limit is just the motor winding, meaning that for a given voltage it will only spin so fast. To get more speed (or power) out of it you'd have to increase the system voltage, meanign a higher voltage battery (and controller that can handle that voltage, along with anything else on the scooter like the DC-DC that runs the lights, etc).

Or change the motor to one meant to run at the speed you want at the voltage you already have.

Hi
Thank you very much for reply:)
Well i thought like this.
I have a motor 1500w 60V and aController at 1000w.
Max amp on CA says 29.4A with 1000w controll.
Im not after higher top speed. I want a bit more strength. Its bit slow/weak uphill.
Im not sure what you mean by load, but there should be more load on motor driving uphill.
Here i thougt i have 500w stronger motor than controller. It would be an upgrade with 2000w one. My new battery can handle the currens easily. But no change in current, not stronger uphill :(
I understan this will affect motor with heat if it hets to much power. My calculation:
Motor: 1500w/60v=25A cont 50Amax
controller:1000w/60v=16,6A peak 33a
Controller:2000w/60v=33.3A peak 66a
So with bigger controller i have to monitoring heat and so on.
Been asking for info datasheet from seller, but they dont have it...
The controller looks identical exept watt label.
stefan

Attachments

• 2000w.jpg
    2000w.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 674
Efu said:
I have a motor 1500w 60V and aController at 1000w.
Max amp on CA says 29.4A with 1000w controll.

What does the CA say for the 2000w controller in the same situation?

The controller looks identical exept watt label.

It may well *be* identical...and either just programmed differently, or even jsut labelled differently, and actually just the same controller, not really capable of what it says. It's rare, but there have been instances of that--presumably mistaken, rather than deliberate (but you never know).

But honestly, most generic controllers look about the same, other than their labels, regardless of source or "brand", so it's not a surprise that these two do.

Sometimes opening it up will show enough of what it is to tell why it's behaving that way (if it shows on the CA that it's the same current limit). But not usually...and the risk of damaging something while doing it is enough to not want to if there's no actual need to.

So first I'd just check what the CA shows for a current reading under the same conditions the other one reads 29.4A.

Regarding "load", that is just how much work the system has to do. So going up hill is a higher load than riding on the flats, which is itself a higher load than with the motor wheel held off ground.

Hi
CA shows a diffrence of 0.2A (29.4/29.6) between controller.
Speed medium uphill drops about 10km/h, same on both controller.
Here i wanted the 2000w controller to be stronger.
These controllers are plug and play, i mean.
Im building a trike with:
2 Qs 6kw 13" hubmotors V3
2 Kls 7275H
160ah 72V battery

Been wiring and programing these controllers etc.
V3 is a stronger motorbuild where i can push limits of currents and volt.
And there its the controller that limits what the motor gets.(correct me if im wrong)
So in my mind the 2000w controller should provide more current to motor.

Thanks for replys :)

If the labels are right, then yes it should make more power, and you should feel it unless the old controller was already driving the motor at saturation.... Is there a three speed plug coming out of the controller? If there is and it's not hooked up it defaults to medium power.

Hi
Yes there is three speed hooked up on scooter.
Same behavior on both controllers.

Back