[AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

[AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jun 28 2019 7:19pm

Hi all,

I guess I better make it official since I've done a bunch of these already. Below you can see a few of the custom made packs I've made so far.

Here is a pack for a FUTR Beta:


Here is a large pack for a Stealth Bomber:


Here is one I built for an FUTR Alpha:


I also built this 2.5Kwh battery for my own Fighter:
Image
Image
Image

Pricing is calculated based on a lot of factors so can be a bit hard to predict, but as a rough rule of thumb add roughly $1250 on top of the pack Wh. It's more for larger packs and less for smaller packs.

Note: Along with everything else being crazy lately, so is my pricing which is largely dependant on wholesale prices for cells. I do my best to keep prices reasonable, but can only do so much and have to pass on any increases in wholesale pricing.

For BMS solutions I prefer to offer the packs with bluetooth capable BMS so you can actually see why it might have tripped if it does.
I can also offer a solution with balance leads and battery medics balancing solution as seen in some of my older builds.

Shipping within Australia is reasonable, but international shipping is out of the question due to ridiculous requirements and costs.

Because every build is different I don't have all the supplies ready to go and have to order them in prior to starting a build. This means the typical time from deposit to pack completion is 2-4 months.

Flick me a PM or email to ebikegarage@outlook.com or contact me via my website https://ebikegarage.com.au to talk about options.

Cheers
Attachments
DSC_5339 (Medium).JPG
DSC_5339 (Medium).JPG (143.49 KiB) Viewed 5638 times
Last edited by Cowardlyduck on Jun 02 2022 4:51am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10030
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Rix » Aug 09 2019 11:59am

Hey CD, I was just looking at your Fighter battery, that is alot of battery!!!! Did you have to modify the frame to fit that battery in there?

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Aug 09 2019 6:36pm

Hey Rick,

Nah the Fighter battery was built to the exact dimensions of the frame opening. Maximum possible capacity that can fit without modding the frame.
I'm not keen on loosing my lifetime frame warranty, so any drastic frame modding is out of the question.

The Beta battery above on the other hand did require some frame 'corrections'. I wouldn't say they were even mods as the only reason the battery wouldn't fit was because the frame had a lot of factory imperfections and the opening was far from square/straight.

Cheers

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10030
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Rix » Aug 09 2019 7:05pm

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Aug 09 2019 6:36pm
Hey Rick,

Nah the Fighter battery was built to the exact dimensions of the frame opening. Maximum possible capacity that can fit without modding the frame.
I'm not keen on loosing my lifetime frame warranty, so any drastic frame modding is out of the question.

The Beta battery above on the other hand did require some frame 'corrections'. I wouldn't say they were even mods as the only reason the battery wouldn't fit was because the frame had a lot of factory imperfections and the opening was far from square/straight.

Cheers
Oh yah, I totally forgot about the warranty thing. Im on the fence with my next build. Which is rebuild the Bomber or build up my Alpha. The Bomber battery will not fit in the Alpha frame without increasing the opening. I like the Vboxx which is why I am leaning towards rebuilding the bomber. But I got this Alpha frame in army green just sitting there. Decisions?????

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Aug 09 2019 7:16pm

Well you can copy what I did above for your Alpha and you'll get a 3.25Kwh battery. :)

Or if your keen, you could build 2 at once to save total time/cost.

I'm currently looking into cheaper international shipping options. I'm hopping I can get the shipping cost below $500AUD. If that's possible then I should be able to compete with Stealth on replacement Bomber/Fighter packs. :D

Cheers

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10030
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Rix » Aug 10 2019 10:54am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Aug 09 2019 7:16pm
Well you can copy what I did above for your Alpha and you'll get a 3.25Kwh battery. :)

Or if your keen, you could build 2 at once to save total time/cost.

I'm currently looking into cheaper international shipping options. I'm hopping I can get the shipping cost below $500AUD. If that's possible then I should be able to compete with Stealth on replacement Bomber/Fighter packs. :D

Cheers
Yah, shipping makes it a tough market. I ran into this problem back when I was importing Crystalyte 5404 motors. I was pigging backing on a friend who had a dealer license so shipping to me was cheap. However, re selling and shipping around the world, I was only making about 20 bucks a unit and wasn't worth the head ache to do it. I got out because of that.

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cowardlyduck » Feb 21 2020 6:43am

CJonaBttlrckt wrote:
Feb 21 2020 3:41am
From where do others in Australia source batteries?
Doesn't seem easy nor cost effective.
Correct, which is why I can build one for you instead:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... p?t=101045

Nobody ever guessed it before but I'm currently building this 20S12P pack for a Hurricane:
DSC_5909.JPG
DSC_5909.JPG (187.26 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
PM me if you want something made.

Cheers

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Cowardlyduck » Feb 21 2020 6:37pm

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Feb 21 2020 12:36pm
I was thinking about making my next battery but after watching all the work you have to do CD, it makes me feel a lot better about just buying a battery.
Yeah, it's a lot of work. People often baulk at the prices I quote, but they don't realise I'm actually paying myself bugger all for the time it takes to build them.
The main benefit I actually get is the bulk cell rates and supplier deals I get when I order huge cell quantities. Then I get to keep some for myself and all my own projects for very reasonable prices. :)

Cheers

Theodore Voltaire   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4760
Joined: Sep 26 2013 11:41pm
Location: Texas

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Theodore Voltaire » Feb 22 2020 12:00pm

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Feb 21 2020 6:37pm
Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Feb 21 2020 12:36pm
I was thinking about making my next battery but after watching all the work you have to do CD, it makes me feel a lot better about just buying a battery.
Yeah, it's a lot of work. People often baulk at the prices I quote, but they don't realise I'm actually paying myself bugger all for the time it takes to build them.
The main benefit I actually get is the bulk cell rates and supplier deals I get when I order huge cell quantities. Then I get to keep some for myself and all my own projects for very reasonable prices. :)

Cheers
I totally understand. I'm in the service business, and I know what I charge. If I charged the same as I charge now for all the work making a big battery pack my labor would probably be 5 times the price of the battery's.

User avatar
CJonaBttlrckt   100 W

100 W
Posts: 166
Joined: May 27 2013 5:44am
Location: West of Sydney

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by CJonaBttlrckt » Feb 29 2020 6:15am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Feb 21 2020 6:43am
CJonaBttlrckt wrote:
Feb 21 2020 3:41am
From where do others in Australia source batteries?
Doesn't seem easy nor cost effective.
Correct, which is why I can build one for you instead:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... p?t=101045

Nobody ever guessed it before but I'm currently building this 20S12P pack for a Hurricane:
DSC_5909.JPG

PM me if you want something made.

Cheers
Hi and thanks CD,
Maybe my next battery...we'll see!

I really only want about fifty cells, as I was hoping to get another year or two out of my relatively recently purchased battery, with a bit of cell replacement.
There seems to be a few parallel packs that aren't keeping up.
I'm not confident the BMS isn't the cause.

I directed said Hurricane owner to you for the new battery.
The Hurricane's in my shed being subjected to foot peg assembly replacement with a bottom bracket for single speed pedal setup.

Cheers,
Clinton

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Apr 22 2020 7:42am

Here is that Hurricane battery mentioned above being built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1rJSTVGx78

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10030
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Rix » Apr 22 2020 10:41am

SWEET!

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jul 06 2021 5:24am

Still making these dam things....even if there is almost no profit in it for me like with this one :roll:


Cheers

mark 324   10 W

10 W
Posts: 70
Joined: Aug 31 2018 3:02pm

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by mark 324 » Jul 07 2021 3:55pm

Hello I’m looking for battery pack builder

User avatar
spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 12785
Joined: Dec 21 2007 10:27pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by spinningmagnets » Jul 07 2021 8:17pm

What city are you located in? What vehicle will the pack be installed in? (pics would help)...

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jul 08 2021 7:38am

I can only ship to Australia due to lithium shipping requirements.

That being said I would be happy to have someone else arrange a freight forwarder for themselves and I can hand it over to them, but I can't take the risk on myself.

Cheers

Grautuefel   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: May 11 2016 5:24am

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Grautuefel » Jul 08 2021 5:34pm

Hey CD, awesome that there is a local making cool stuff (local is within three or four thousdan km :wink: ).

I'll see how the tax return goes and might hit you up for a custom split pack to go under the running boards of a yuba mundo, current battery location is more than a little top heavy. The missus needs a replacement for a dying 24v ping pack as well.

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jul 12 2021 7:48am

Grautuefel wrote:
Jul 08 2021 5:34pm
Hey CD, awesome that there is a local making cool stuff (local is within three or four thousdan km :wink: ).

I'll see how the tax return goes and might hit you up for a custom split pack to go under the running boards of a yuba mundo, current battery location is more than a little top heavy. The missus needs a replacement for a dying 24v ping pack as well.
Sounds good mate. Whether it's massive capacity, huge power, or weird shapes, custom packs are my main thing now so let me know when your ready. :)

Cheers

Grautuefel   10 W

10 W
Posts: 78
Joined: May 11 2016 5:24am

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Grautuefel » Jul 20 2021 11:24pm

Nice, I'll PM you for a quote

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jun 02 2022 4:42am

About time I posted an update on this thread. Yes I am still building batteries and yes, my prices have increased along with everything else lately. I still barely cover costs and pay myself below minimum wage to remain slightly competitive, as the biggest benefit I get out of it is the wholesale pricing on cells for my own projects and that still (barely) makes it worth it.

Here is my latest build. Enjoy!


Cheers

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10030
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Rix » Jun 03 2022 10:46am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Jun 02 2022 4:42am
About time I posted an update on this thread. Yes I am still building batteries and yes, my prices have increased along with everything else lately. I still barely cover costs and pay myself below minimum wage to remain slightly competitive, as the biggest benefit I get out of it is the wholesale pricing on cells for my own projects and that still (barely) makes it worth it.

Here is my latest build. Enjoy!


Cheers
If we every figure out a way to get your batteries to the US without super high shipping prices and drama, I would definitely give you some business, This coming winter, I am going to build up another Alpha. Nothing radical, but long range for sure.

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jun 04 2022 6:43am

Rix wrote:
Jun 03 2022 10:46am
If we every figure out a way to get your batteries to the US without super high shipping prices and drama, I would definitely give you some business, This coming winter, I am going to build up another Alpha. Nothing radical, but long range for sure.
Thanks for the kind comments Rix!
I miss the Alpha I made few years back. With the battery I ended up making for the new owner (3.25Kwh one above) it would have epic range...probably 200km+.

I have attempted several times to figure out a way to ship internationally with the last attempt even going so far as to investigate sending the battery contained within a cheap Ebike frame which didn't work out either.
So far I've investigated options through Fedex and DHL, but neither of those are possible for me as they require a business account, several day training course (which last I checked is only held a few times a year in Hawaii) and a passed dangerous goods shipping exam just to send anything lithium through them. And even then they still charge ridiculous amounts to do it.
The only other option is sea shipping, but my understanding is that only makes sense at scale. That is how China is able to make it work for the vast amounts of lithium batteries they export and also why it typically takes 2-3 months for large cell orders to arrive.

All that being said...if anyone knows some magical way to ship these things outside Australia for a reasonable price (<$500AUD) I am all ears and would love to know about it.

Cheers

Hummina Shadeeba   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2526
Joined: Apr 25 2014 10:26pm
Location: Sausalito

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Jun 04 2022 10:22am

Maybe it’s just your personal battery I’m seeing where you didn’t add O-rings on the top of cells. I fear after some time vibrating in a bike it’s not hard to cut through the shrink with the nickel strip like that.
I read you shouldn’t weld in the center of the cell bottom.

User avatar
Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3946
Joined: Jun 26 2011 8:41pm
Location: Australia

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jun 04 2022 11:12pm

Hummina Shadeeba wrote:
Jun 04 2022 10:22am
Maybe it’s just your personal battery I’m seeing where you didn’t add O-rings on the top of cells. I fear after some time vibrating in a bike it’s not hard to cut through the shrink with the nickel strip like that.
I read you shouldn’t weld in the center of the cell bottom.
Not sure where your seeing that....I put barely paper insulating rings on every cell in every pack I make as I fully understand the risks. Please show me where you think I didn't.

Cheers

Hummina Shadeeba   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2526
Joined: Apr 25 2014 10:26pm
Location: Sausalito

Re: [AUSTRALIA] Custom made 18650/21700 Batteries

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Jun 05 2022 12:03am

your other pics weren't showing and all i saw was this which looks like none. maybe theyre there but doesnt look like it. maybe i imagine too many possibilities that arent there.
Attachments
DSC_4271 (Medium).JPG
DSC_4271 (Medium).JPG (80.4 KiB) Viewed 975 times

Post Reply