9 FET 72V Infineon Brushless Controller (LYEN's Edition) $89

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
electricridefl
1 kW
1 kW

Re: 9 FET 72V Infineon Brushless Controller (LYEN's Edition)

Post by electricridefl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 am

Yeah, I didn't want any lvc. I put in message...but, the controller work fine, but now I can't run 55v, because then I get twice the range. I mounted my controller in my basket, with some bubble wrap and wire tie. Controller does get a bit warm running 35mph for 10 miles. My motor was scorching after said ride. There is such a huge difference between 55v(22mph) and 96v(38mph). The difference is, the first I ride on more sidewalks. The second I enjoy the highway! I haven-t hit the 63v lvc with my 96v battery. I run my 72 cell nimh battery from 103v to 88.9v. At 88.8v, speed and power drop, and I flip switch for 2nd battery. Too bad I didn't have this controller before I built my batteries, or I would have used a123 to take advantage of the regen feature. Because what I really need now is an electric brake...This thing runs great! What a deal...$299 for a 72v controller...what a ripoff. Thank God for Lyen controller!
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG (125.08 KiB) Viewed 9 times

Rifle
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Rifle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:50 am

Do you have to have electronics knowledge to program this, or if you get the cable should you be able to figure things out? Where do you get the software for your PC?
2807 9c front hub. 48v 20ah Ping. 12s2p Lipo.

neptronix
100 GW
100 GW

Post by neptronix » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:57 am

If you buy the programming cable from lyen with this controller, he provides everything you need. You don't need electronics experience and it won't require soldering.
My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The wheelie machine: 20" Rear Magic Pie II on a Trek 4300 MTB

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."- Chinese Proverb

ValeryDV
1 µW
1 µW

Post by ValeryDV » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 am

I, too, became the happy owner of this controller. I couldn't resist, just looked inside. Really enjoyed the quality of the build. That's the way to do controllers for e-bikes. In the near time will set instead of the old monster (why I bought a kit with a controller ?).

stl_recum
100 µW
100 µW

Post by stl_recum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:31 am

Are there any of these left?

FastDemise
100 W
100 W

Post by FastDemise » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 pm

I am interested as well in a controller if you still have 1 available. :-)
21" Hardtail, Docs Torque Arm, Lipo 20s2p, ebikes.ca 9C 8x8 and Lyen 6fet (both Mineral Oil cooled)

wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Post by wineboyrider » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 am

PM Lyen and see if he answers he's the one that knows if he has any left. :D :D :D :D
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

Quajochem
100 W
100 W

Post by Quajochem » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Hi
I have a question, can I directly plugin this cycle analist to this controller?

"Direct Plug-in Model (CA-DP): This unit is designed to plug directly into a motor controller to get the appropriate signals, resulting in a tidy installation with minimal wiring. Most motor controllers have an internal current sensing shunt resistor that can be used for measuring current, as well as a hall sensor signal that can be used to detect the wheel speed in direct drive hub motors. The CA-DP is terminated with a 6-pin plug that connects directly to the modified Crystalyte, Infineon, and eZee Controllers that we have at www.ebikes.ca.
http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/photos/CA-LDP.jpg

Or should I use this one:
"Direct Plug-in with Speedo (CA-DPS): This is a variation of the CA-DP device for ebike setups that can't use the hall signals in the motor controller for the speed sensing. This would include DC motor systems which don't have hall sensors, geared motor setups like the eZee kits where the motor RPM does not match the wheel RPM, and mid-drive arrangements where the motor powers through the bicycle drive chain. It uses a separate speedometer sensor and spoke magnet like the Stand Alone device to pick the speed from your wheel."

Does the 9 Fet controller have a direct plug? (would be really nice)
(I don't really like the extra wires just for some stupid magnet on a spoke and an equally ugly thingy tie-ripped to my fork)
BUT my motor is a geared motor, WITH HALL sensors. (Looks like MAC motor)
Is the analis capable of deviding the motor RPM by a factor 5? So it can measure my speed via the signals in my controller?

How does this work?

Thanks

Quajochem

wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Post by wineboyrider » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:43 am

Does the 9 Fet controller have a direct plug? (would be really nice)
(I don't really like the extra wires just for some stupid magnet on a spoke and an equally ugly thingy tie-ripped to my fork)
BUT my motor is a geared motor, WITH HALL sensors. (Looks like MAC motor)
Is the analis capable of deviding the motor RPM by a factor 5? So it can measure my speed via the signals in my controller?
Yes, this controller has a direct plug in for the CA.
Direct Plug-in with Speedo (CA-DPS): This is a variation of the CA-DP device for ebike setups that can't use the hall signals in the motor controller for the speed sensing. This would include DC motor systems which don't have hall sensors, geared motor setups like the eZee kits where the motor RPM does not match the wheel RPM, and mid-drive arrangements where the motor powers through the bicycle drive chain. It uses a separate speedometer sensor and spoke magnet like the Stand Alone device to pick the speed from your wheel."
You have to use this one with the BMC as it is not a Direct Drive motor. AFAIK the speed only calculates properly with a DD motor. I know I have the CA-DP and wish I would have bought the CA-DPS as I like to use it with my 9c and my BMC setup. The CA-DP works, but the speed shows you as going much faster than you really are.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quajochem
100 W
100 W

Post by Quajochem » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 am

[/quote]
You have to use this one with the BMC as it is not a Direct Drive motor. AFAIK the speed only calculates properly with a DD motor. I know I have the CA-DP and wish I would have bought the CA-DPS as I like to use it with my 9c and my BMC setup. The CA-DP works, but the speed shows you as going much faster than you really are.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

The gears in a geard motor have a typical ratio of 5:1. So it should show you your speed x 5
Have you tried to feed in 1/5 of the true wheel diameter when programming the CA?
That should do the trick or not?
I cannot try it because I haven't got it yet.

And I am really curious if this might work!
:)

wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Post by wineboyrider » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Quajochem wrote:
You have to use this one with the BMC as it is not a Direct Drive motor. AFAIK the speed only calculates properly with a DD motor. I know I have the CA-DP and wish I would have bought the CA-DPS as I like to use it with my 9c and my BMC setup. The CA-DP works, but the speed shows you as going much faster than you really are.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

The gears in a geard motor have a typical ratio of 5:1. So it should show you your speed x 5
Have you tried to feed in 1/5 of the true wheel diameter when programming the CA?
That should do the trick or not?
I cannot try it because I haven't got it yet.

And I am really curious if this might work!
:)[/quote]
Clever! I will try it and post back! Right now I am using the mini motor?????????which is also geared!!! If this works it would be great, but isn't the freewheeling aspect a factor as well?

Quajochem
100 W
100 W

Post by Quajochem » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Good point! But what's the point of measuring your speed when freewheeling anyway? :wink:

Ykick
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Ykick » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 am

My #1 bike with the 9FET Lyen edition has been sitting about a month for wheel repair. (long story for another time...) So, 'been riding old #2 bike with what looks like a 12FET Conhismotor long housing controller.

#1 is back on the road and now being able to compare back to back, I gotta give mad props to this little 9FET Lyen edition. The thing is so smooth, it pulls strong when it should but doesn't draw excessive Amps and the throttle response is very linear throughout the entire range. The differences are night/day - stock Conhis controller doesn't even come close when used with basically the same motors/throttle.

I never thought there would be so much difference but it's there and whatever Lyen's doing to provide a better controller it's working!
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

Quajochem
100 W
100 W

Post by Quajochem » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:58 pm

Ykick wrote:My #1 bike with the 9FET Lyen edition has been sitting about a month for wheel repair. (long story for another time...) So, 'been riding old #2 bike with what looks like a 12FET Conhismotor long housing controller.

#1 is back on the road and now being able to compare back to back, I gotta give mad props to this little 9FET Lyen edition. The thing is so smooth, it pulls strong when it should but doesn't draw excessive Amps and the throttle response is very linear throughout the entire range. The differences are night/day - stock Conhis controller doesn't even come close when used with basically the same motors/throttle.

I never thought there would be so much difference but it's there and whatever Lyen's doing to provide a better controller it's working!
i haven't installed it yet, but
likE :D

chisixer6
1 kW
1 kW

Post by chisixer6 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:26 am

Lyen;

My setup..... Ebikekit gear hub on a 24" rear wheel. I will be running this at 48v, maybe later go up to 60v. I will be riding on flat ground. Will this controller work with my setup? Do you have any units left? Is there any other info that you need? Also want the CA anyalst setup too.

Jerry
Motobecane ..bafang front driver.. 42v
24" girls bike ..ebikekit 20" fwd..75v
24" Schweinn 9c 20"rwd 75v
26" Schweinn Yescomusa 48v 800watt dd
Easy Racer clone LWB.....24" rear e-bikekit 48v ..ready for testing
Hooligan clone , longer rear chain stay.. twin 20"...
fun bike...twin 16" wheels. small rear motor... ready for testing
convert my CLWB recumbent to a front bafung@48v..ongoing

pwbset
1 MW
1 MW

Post by pwbset » Thu May 03, 2012 12:16 pm

Just picked up a used 9fet and despite my efforts I'm not finding anywhere the default values programmed into this controller. My used one came with a programming cable so I'd like to experiment with it this summer maybe pushing up to 35-40A sustained with good, cold Montana airflow 8) , but apparently you can't read in existing controller values just blindly send new values. Previous owner states they're all still default as shipped from Lyen so 30A to the motor I assume. Anyone help out? Thanks!

methods
10 GW
10 GW

Post by methods » Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 pm

The community could probably help more if Lyen made his documentation public and did not make it available only to those who purchase controllers :|

You would also get a lot more support from the community on the software if it were available for all to see instead of distributed only to those who purchase controllers.

Disclaimer: I sell things similar to what Lyen sells so I could be seen as a "competitor". That aside - I am a member first and a guy who sells stuff second... and if you dont know me well... I am a guy who always speaks his mind (what I believe to be the truth) no matter whether it is appropriate or not. The fact is that I (and many others) worked together for a long time on this board to pioneer our understanding of how these "infineon" controllers operate and we have always shared our knowledge freely so as to help the general public.

I am aware that this is Lyens sale thread.

This is also a thread in a public forum where posters are asking for the help - from Lyen yes - but also from subject matter experts such as myself and many, many others. It only follows that we (those who help) should have as much at our disposal as possible.

I speak only for myself and not on behalf of anyone else or any group of people.

-methods
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

methods
10 GW
10 GW

Post by methods » Thu May 03, 2012 1:25 pm

pwbset wrote:Just picked up a used 9fet and despite my efforts I'm not finding anywhere the default values programmed into this controller. My used one came with a programming cable so I'd like to experiment with it this summer maybe pushing up to 35-40A sustained with good, cold Montana airflow 8) , but apparently you can't read in existing controller values just blindly send new values. Previous owner states they're all still default as shipped from Lyen so 30A to the motor I assume. Anyone help out? Thanks!
To answer your question... no you cant read values out and your best bet is to just re-flash the controller with known good values. Who knows what bits the last guy diddled.

I assume that you got a version of the software from the guy you got the controller from- along with the manual and programming cable.

-methods

pwbset
1 MW
1 MW

Post by pwbset » Thu May 03, 2012 1:32 pm

methods wrote:I assume that you got a version of the software from the guy you got the controller from- along with the manual and programming cable.
Yeah, got software/cable etc. Just looking for baseline values to start with. Didn't realize this was "closed" software. That's too bad. We'll see what the CA readings give me once I'm riding.

Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Ypedal » Thu May 03, 2012 2:54 pm

i have to agree here, i got few of these controllers on my hands and have not dared to hook any of them to my laptop for fear of turning them into a brick.. but i would like to and will soo need to do this as my trike will be using regen, the chopper needs tweaks and i have a general curiosity of how this works......

There must be a few threads floating around ES ??? no ?

Is there a feature to perform a backup of existing parameters if you want to create a restore point? even if you canot read what values are set ?
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com

methods
10 GW
10 GW

Post by methods » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

A few threads?
Try a few hundred.

We have beaten the infineon controller to death and discussed it ad nauseum. The problem is that every few weeks Infineon (who XIE Chang or whoever it is this week) releases a slightly different version of the chip or the software interface or the circuit board... so there is no way to make a wiki or anything that will be of any value over time. It really just boils down to staying on top of it and sharing what we find.

There are about 10 guys on the board who are always rolling up their sleeves and translating their way into the latest releases to get things working - but those threads are buried pretty deep in the technical section.

-methods

nicobie
10 MW
10 MW

Post by nicobie » Fri May 04, 2012 2:04 pm

When you install Lyen's software then chose your controller (12 fet,18 fet etc.) a screen pops up that shows the values that can be changed by the user. I always assumed that the numbers shown were Lyen's default values.

But I could be wrong... :mrgreen:

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701

randel24
10 mW
10 mW

Post by randel24 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 am

Hey guys, I have been building my second bike for about 8 months,(been taking care of my mom, Long road),anyway, I have last years Ampedbikes rear dd motor and Edward Lyen's 72v 9 fet controller, Edward has been very helpful to me with possible controller and phase combo's, but I am leary of trying them, I am not sure if the setup is MXUS or 9C or other motor. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I am trying to avoid any unnecessary steps if possible! To avoid ruining anything. Also, I need to know how many poles this particular motor has so I can calibrate my DP Cycle Analyst,also from Lyen. Thank's I want to get this wired up this weekend and this will be my main tranportation when I retire my test mule! I tried to start a new post for this , pardon my noobie'ness. Randel

miuan
100 kW
100 kW

Post by miuan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:13 am

randel24 wrote:Hey guys, I have been building my second bike for about 8 months,(been taking care of my mom, Long road),anyway, I have last years Ampedbikes rear dd motor and Edward Lyen's 72v 9 fet controller, Edward has been very helpful to me with possible controller and phase combo's, but I am leary of trying them, I am not sure if the setup is MXUS or 9C or other motor. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I am trying to avoid any unnecessary steps if possible! To avoid ruining anything. Also, I need to know how many poles this particular motor has so I can calibrate my DP Cycle Analyst,also from Lyen. Thank's I want to get this wired up this weekend and this will be my main tranportation when I retire my test mule! I tried to start a new post for this , pardon my noobie'ness. Randel
There are only a total of 36 combinations of hall and phase wires, actually 3 times less genuine ones if you take it relatively. Try different combos with a light brief throttle pull to see if the wheel turns without ill effects. If it turns in reverse direction, swap 2 phases and equal colored hall wires to reverse it back to normal direction. Don't be afraid to try, just don't do it with full throttle or extended time, before you find the correct combo.

999zip999
100 GW
100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 am

Thanks works great on a 2810 plus A123 20 ah 24s. 30amp only ? perfect. 2260 watts and strong
Maybe 40 amps, Lyen is it limited ? Lots of hills maybe to warm at 40amps ? No small S.F. stuff and don't want to walk my bike up ricearoni hill..