12 x 4110 MOSFET Extreme Modder Controller LYEN Edition $129

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Re: 12 x 4110 MOSFET Extreme Modder Controller LYEN Edition

Post by Lyen » Aug 03 2010 12:19pm

turbobass wrote:What settings should i use in the software (phase...rated...low ... high ... tol ... speed mode design ..... i have no idea what to start with .... i have front hub GM 1000w and 48v sla) my lifepo4 bms is gone ordered one from ping ... i want base settings like i had with a 1000w controller .... no regen etc .... )
Hi Turbobass,

The link I have emailed you yesterday already comes with the program. There are already preset profiles in the program. Please read the manual for the detail description for the parameter settings. Please send me PM or email me know if you have any questions for further support since this is a sales thread. Thanks. :)

Regards,
Lyen
Items For Sale
Please sign up here and donate your marrow to save life.

turbobass   1 mW

1 mW

Post by turbobass » Aug 03 2010 4:21pm

Hyena wrote:You need to switch the blue and yellow phase wires for the GM hubs.

So

Green - Green
Blue - Yellow
Yellow - Blue

I can't remember the hall wiring, I suspect it may be the same but that narrows it down alot for you. Mine is soldered and headshrinked so I can't check but thats definitely the right phase combo for Lyen's 12 fet and a GM hub.
Works Great with Conhish (GM) ... switched phase and hall to this and works !
Conhish Motor 1000w front , 9C 500w rear , Lyen 12fet 4110 prog. controller for rear , Headway 40160S on it's way ,

Goethe   10 W

10 W

Post by Goethe » Aug 12 2010 8:50am

Hi!

Any body knows the shunt resistance?

/Goethe

Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lyen » Aug 12 2010 5:49pm

Hello Goethe,

I have sent you a PM for the information you need. Thanks for asking. :)

Regards,
Lyen
Goethe wrote:Hi!

Any body knows the shunt resistance?

/Goethe
Items For Sale
Please sign up here and donate your marrow to save life.

aaronski   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aaronski » Sep 02 2010 5:59am

Thanks!

Lyen delivered the controller to my office so I could wire it up to get home. Did a little re-wiring(hal and throttle were backwards from my 9c) and away I went. Lyen was kind enough to wire in a 72v/36v switch so I can run it on both my batteries. I'm doing a 20 mile ride tomorrow with both batts.

Every city needs a Ebike ambassador like him. :mrgreen:
Wow I've been here 7 years! had a kid and took a break. Back on a Vector Ebike just for fun.
Broken bike and electric bits everywhere. Sometimes it's a bike and I ride it.
Broken too much crap. pulled 3kw from a 350 watt ebike kit motor, pulled 100c out of HK lipo. much melted wire and plastic. Amazed at the progress this group has made in ebiking.

icecube57   1 GW

1 GW

Post by icecube57 » Sep 02 2010 7:37am

Edward is an awesome guy with a heart of gold. So personal and very good attention to detail. Probably will be my main go to guy for controllers from now on. All I can say is Nice!

nicobie   10 MW

10 MW

Post by nicobie » Sep 02 2010 1:22pm

Anyone know if lyen's controllers will work with a BMC motor? Right now I'm running a clyte analog 48 -72v controller and it works fine @ 80v. However I am thinking of going 24s lipo and am afraid that the analog controller won't take the extra voltage.

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701

mwkeefer   10 MW

10 MW

Post by mwkeefer » Sep 02 2010 1:44pm

Lyens controllers should work fine with the BMC - Ive used them with the MAC, Bafang and e-bikekit geared hubs also 9C DDs :)

-Mike
Regards,
Mike

{My Rides]
2010 Dahon Jack - GNG v1 - LYEN 6FET - 20/40A - 18S2P10AH - Nom:66.6v,1332w
2004 Hard Rock Pro Disc - Recumpence ms eDrive v4 - Astro 3220 4T - 12S2P16AH - HV110 - Left Side Drive - Gearing: 38mph
Nominal Peak Power @ 60 seconds: 5328 watts - Maximum Power: 49.8v, 120A, 5872w
2010 Downtube 8FH - Stock GNG v1 Stock Controller - EB809XC - 12-16S
2012 Downtube Nova 7spd - Stock GNG v2 - 12S2P10AH - EB809 - 12S-16S - 20A/30A,Nom VCC: 44.4, 888w

nicobie   10 MW

10 MW

Post by nicobie » Sep 04 2010 1:28pm

Thanks Mike. I think the MAC and BMC motors are clones so I guess they would work with my BMC.

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701

aaronski   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aaronski » Oct 15 2010 1:14pm

I finally got around to setting up regen on this controller/bike. works like a charm. I"m getting 600Watts back into the pack on my way in to work. at around 20 MPH it regens 10 amps. I also picked up a programming cable and dc to dc converter from Edward and reprogrammed the Controller for 70 amps, still cold after climbing at ~2500 watts for 2-3 minutes. the phase wires are HOT though. I think I'm going to need to shorten them up.
Wow I've been here 7 years! had a kid and took a break. Back on a Vector Ebike just for fun.
Broken too much crap. pulled 3kw from a 350 watt ebike kit motor, pulled 100c out of HK lipo. much melted wire and plastic. Amazed at the progress this group has made in ebiking.

icecube57   1 GW

1 GW

Post by icecube57 » Oct 17 2010 11:22am

aaronski wrote:I finally got around to setting up regen on this controller/bike. works like a charm. I"m getting 600Watts back into the pack on my way in to work. at around 20 MPH it regens 10 amps. I also picked up a programming cable and dc to dc converter from Edward and reprogrammed the Controller for 70 amps, still cold after climbing at ~2500 watts for 2-3 minutes. the phase wires are HOT though. I think I'm going to need to shorten them up.

You are going to have to shrink wrap those bad boys all the way inside the controller. My phase wires with one of his controllers were doing the Twizzlers pull and peel. After a hard ride I could peel them apart. They were fused to each other. I took the phase wires and found matching heat shink. Heat shrink the wires all the way inside the controller. Havent had the problem since. The heatshrink is supposedly good to 300C for short periods. The phase wires on the motor were hot. I eneded up upgrading my X5 phase wires to 12G. They barely get luke warm and if you see some of my rides I give my controller the business. It makes a nice hand warmer. Im currently running 95A Phase and 37A battery. Which translates to 45-50A battery current.

The Mighty Volt   10 MW

10 MW

Post by The Mighty Volt » Oct 17 2010 2:32pm

icecube57 wrote:
aaronski wrote:I finally got around to setting up regen on this controller/bike. works like a charm. I"m getting 600Watts back into the pack on my way in to work. at around 20 MPH it regens 10 amps. I also picked up a programming cable and dc to dc converter from Edward and reprogrammed the Controller for 70 amps, still cold after climbing at ~2500 watts for 2-3 minutes. the phase wires are HOT though. I think I'm going to need to shorten them up.

You are going to have to shrink wrap those bad boys all the way inside the controller. My phase wires with one of his controllers were doing the Twizzlers pull and peel. After a hard ride I could peel them apart. They were fused to each other. I took the phase wires and found matching heat shink. Heat shrink the wires all the way inside the controller. Havent had the problem since. The heatshrink is supposedly good to 300C for short periods. The phase wires on the motor were hot. I eneded up upgrading my X5 phase wires to 12G. They barely get luke warm and if you see some of my rides I give my controller the business. It makes a nice hand warmer. Im currently running 95A Phase and 37A battery. Which translates to 45-50A battery current.

Hi Ice, do you think you could document the replacement of the phase wires in the X5 in more detail? It is a project I have had planned but have no idea how to go about.

any pics or technical advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

The Mighty Volt   10 MW

10 MW

Post by The Mighty Volt » Oct 17 2010 3:46pm

What is required to safely and adequately set up regen? I have the 18 FET version.

I absolutely know nothing about regen.....

icecube57   1 GW

1 GW

Post by icecube57 » Oct 17 2010 6:11pm

Ill do a writeup in a little bit,

The Mighty Volt   10 MW

10 MW

Post by The Mighty Volt » Oct 18 2010 10:59am

icecube57 wrote:Ill do a writeup in a little bit,
Sound. Thanks. :D

aaronski   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aaronski » Oct 18 2010 12:29pm

The Mighty Volt wrote:
What is required to safely and adequately set up regen? I have the 18 FET version.

I absolutely know nothing about regen.....

There's better threads for that topic around. I'm not doing it the right way, I'm just taking the + and - leads off the battery and using them for power instead of going through the BMS. I've given up on the BMS for this Lifepo batt. it's always balanced, and I never pull more than 6 ah out of a 10 ah pack, so eh, I'm shorting it's life, but oh well.

depending on the type of battery you have though, you can just do it my way. LnMn should be ok with it, as well as sla and NiMh. Lipo it's likely a big no-no, and Lifepo4 it's likely to shorten your battery life unless you use a balancer.

rektide   1 mW

1 mW

Post by rektide » Nov 03 2010 11:58am

may have just ordered the last one. crossing my fingers it was indeed still available.

shorza   1 kW

1 kW

Post by shorza » Nov 10 2010 6:15pm

Can anyone shed since light on how I can set my bike up to use the regen of this controller practically? I was thinking a small toggle button near my mechanical brake levers.

aaronski   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aaronski » Nov 11 2010 5:29am

for regen I used a tweezer shaped piece of copper mounted under the brake lever, then got tired of that and just jumpered it always on. now I'm either going or stopping. I like it. :mrgreen:

shorza   1 kW

1 kW

Post by shorza » Nov 11 2010 10:47pm

I see, so there is no problem with having it always on? I have tried to wrap my head around how it works but find it hard.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Nov 11 2010 11:25pm

At it's most basic and simplistic, regenerative braking (regen) works like this:

When the throttle is set to go faster than the motor is actually going, the controller applies power to the motor to try to get it as fast as the throttle says to go, speeding up the wheel or maintaining it's current speed.

When the throttle is set to go slower than the motor is actually going (or the brake input is turned on by your ebrake handle's switch, etc), then the controller stops applying power to the motor and instead pulls power from it forcing it to act like a generator, slowing down the wheel.

Not all controllers will try to slow the wheel down if you let off the throttle, as many only do it when you activate the brake input. Those that do try to slow it down when letting throttle off are called "demand-speed" controllers, because you are demanding a certain speed from them and they are trying to ensure you get only that speed. It's probably more common in brushed controllers than brushless, but I have at least one brushless controller that does this, too.

Some more complex aspects of regen include the ability of the controller to "Pump" the voltage up over what would be generated simply by wheel/motor speed, which makes it more efficient at recharging the battery from it, and probably does a better job of actually braking speed, too (havent' tested that theory yet). Some controllers don't try to do this, so as wheel speed falls, the braking effect and the recharging effect are minimized very quickly, as opposed to the ones that pump the voltage up.

Most brushless controllers don't seem to vary the amount of regen but rather have it as an on/off proposition--you're either braking full-on as if you were gripping your brake lever hard to the bars, or you're not braking at all. Some can modulate it in various ways, so you get variable levels of braking.

Lots of other possible variations and subtleties about regen, but that's the basics.

shorza   1 kW

1 kW

Post by shorza » Nov 12 2010 1:27am

Wow, thanks amberwolf. A great, informative description.

The Mighty Volt   10 MW

10 MW

Post by The Mighty Volt » Nov 12 2010 7:06pm

amberwolf wrote:At it's most basic and simplistic, regenerative braking (regen) works like this:

When the throttle is set to go faster than the motor is actually going, the controller applies power to the motor to try to get it as fast as the throttle says to go, speeding up the wheel or maintaining it's current speed.

When the throttle is set to go slower than the motor is actually going (or the brake input is turned on by your ebrake handle's switch, etc), then the controller stops applying power to the motor and instead pulls power from it forcing it to act like a generator, slowing down the wheel.

Not all controllers will try to slow the wheel down if you let off the throttle, as many only do it when you activate the brake input. Those that do try to slow it down when letting throttle off are called "demand-speed" controllers, because you are demanding a certain speed from them and they are trying to ensure you get only that speed. It's probably more common in brushed controllers than brushless, but I have at least one brushless controller that does this, too.

Some more complex aspects of regen include the ability of the controller to "Pump" the voltage up over what would be generated simply by wheel/motor speed, which makes it more efficient at recharging the battery from it, and probably does a better job of actually braking speed, too (havent' tested that theory yet). Some controllers don't try to do this, so as wheel speed falls, the braking effect and the recharging effect are minimized very quickly, as opposed to the ones that pump the voltage up.

Most brushless controllers don't seem to vary the amount of regen but rather have it as an on/off proposition--you're either braking full-on as if you were gripping your brake lever hard to the bars, or you're not braking at all. Some can modulate it in various ways, so you get variable levels of braking.

Lots of other possible variations and subtleties about regen, but that's the basics.
Hot Damn. That's a lot of information! Thanks for posting it up! :D

aaronski   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aaronski » Nov 14 2010 2:26pm

Lyen's controllers do "pump the voltage up' as well. If you're crusing with no battery, the wheel naturally will generate about 20 volts at 15 mph or so, but if you hit the regen switch, it jumps to 75v.

Also, it won't regen above 75v. does anyone know if there's a fix for this? I'd like to regen my 72v battery, but it spends a long time above 75v, in the 75-80 range.

europa81   1 mW

1 mW

Post by europa81 » Nov 30 2010 3:34pm

Edward, I received the Controller safely in Berlin, Germany a few hours ago.

Size comparison with a C'lite and a 9Fet Board 206 Cntrl:
Lyen_Cntrl03.jpg
Lyen_Cntrl01.jpg
Lyen_Cntrl01.jpg (225.69 KiB) Viewed 662 times
Thanks for your good service.

Getting ready to reverse the Earths magnetic field with a winter project now.