Ebike motor/controller hall/phase/throttle tester $29

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Ebike motor/controller hall/phase/throttle tester $29

Post by Lyen » Aug 31 2010 6:03am

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your purchase. The tester was shipped on 8/30/2010. I will add the tracking information in PayPal for you to track it. :)

The quantity status has been updated. :)

Best Regards,
Lyen
Herrsprocket wrote:Hi Lyen,

I took a chance that you still had at least one of the testers left in your inventory and sent you paypal moola last Friday. I saw that you had only 2 left way back in early August, but I didn't see any other updates since then, ergo, I made the order. Please check your paypal account and let me know if you indeed have one for me or if they are all gone. Thanks.

Tom
Items For Sale
Please sign up here and donate your marrow to save life.

Herrsprocket   100 W

100 W

Post by Herrsprocket » Aug 31 2010 1:04pm

Thanks so much, I feel lucky to get one. Can you send me the little instruction info that you sent Lesss? I would appreciate the extra "know how". You can send it to my PM here on the Sphere, thanks again.

Tom

Ypedal   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ypedal » Aug 31 2010 1:07pm

or post it right here.. cuz i could use it too !! :wink: ( I understand the hookups, but what will the led sequence indicate etc.. i have not tried it yet.. but will tonight ! )
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Aug 31 2010 3:33pm

EDIT 8/1/11:
======================================================================
THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW ARE COPIED FROM THE DRAFT LYEN SENT ME.

USER "GORDO" WOULD LIKE EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THE SECTION LABELED "WIRES" LISTS THEM OUT OF ORDER. IF FOR SOME REASON YOU STOPPED READING THIS THREAD AT THIS POST, PLEASE CONTINUE ON TO THE REVISED INSTRUCTIONS (3) POSTS DOWN.

AS WITH ANY TECHNICAL ANALYSIS, I'D HIGHLY SUGGEST READING TO THE LAST POST OF THE THREAD TO GET THE MOST COMPLETE AND CURRENT INFORMATION. NOBODY IS GONNA HOLD YOU HAND AND SPOON FEED THE INFORMATION TO YOU, SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK OR TOAST YOUR BUILD.
======================================================================
Ypedal wrote:or post it right here.. cuz i could use it too !! :wink: ( I understand the hookups, but what will the led sequence indicate etc.. i have not tried it yet.. but will tonight ! )
The tester is divided into 4 groups:

1. First three LEDs from the top left is for the motor phase wire (marked as A, B, C)
2. The second row is the motor hall sensor (marked as A, B, C)
3. The first LED on third row is for the hall angle. Lights on = 60 degree, off = 120 degree
4. The second LED on third row is the power on. It is not necessary to turn the power on when testing the motor phase wires and controller phase wires
5. The third LED on third row is for throttle. The color should change when the throttle is being turned
6. The seven LEDs on the right is for the controller phase rotation testing. The middle LED labels "5V" is for voltage from the controller to the hall sensor transistors inside the motor. It should light up when the hall sensor connector is plugged in from the controller.

Wires:
The left two sets of wires for to the motor.
The far left set (yellow, green, blue) is to the phase wires of the motor
The second set with five wires is to the hall sensor connector of the motor
The third is to the throttle (red=positive,black=negative,blue=throttle hall)
The fourth set (yellow, green, blue) is to the controller phase output
The fifth set with five wires is to the hall sensor connector of the controller

Procedure to test the motor phase wires.
1. Connect only the 3 phase wires from the motor to the tester
2. Rotate the motor in forward postition
3. Determine if all three LED lights blinks on and off
4. If all three LED blinks, then verify if they blinks in sequence. The sequence should be from left to right for forward motion/rotation

Procedure to test the motor hall sensors and wires.
1. Connect only the hall sensor connector from the motor to the tester (You may need to remove the white plastic connectors in order to test some brushless motors. To do so, pinch the pins from the holes to remove them. Also, you may need to use additon aligator clips to connect to wires to the motor.)
2. Rotate the motor in forward postition
3. Determine if all three LED lights blinks on and off
4. If all three LED blinks, then verify if they blinks in sequence. The sequence should be from left to right for forward motion/rotation

Procedure to test the controller
1. Connect throttle to the controller
2. Connect the phase and hall wires from the controller to the tester
3. Connect the battery pack to the controller
4. Turn the tester on
5. Verify the 5V led light is on
6. Slowly turn the throttle
7. Verify the rotation LED lights are on and rotates
Last edited by oatnet on Aug 01 2011 4:54pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lyen » Aug 31 2010 6:54pm

Thanks for letting my words out Oatnet. :)

Here is the preliminary instruction I made for the tester > http://www24.brinkster.com/lyen/product/tester/

For the motor phase test, you simply clip the tester on the motor phase wires and spin the wheel. You should see all three lights flashing when the wheel is in motion. :)

The only test that actually requires to use the battery is the motor hall sensor testing and for the throttle testing.

As for the controller testing, you are should see the 5V lights up in red. You then attach the controller hall & controller phase wire to the tester and a throttle attach to the controller. You then turn the throttle very slowly and then you should see the LED blinks in sequence. The sequences shows the timing or how it should rotates.

Here are some additional frequent asked questions & answers:

What do you see when a hall sensor is dead. Constant on light, constant blinking?
The LEDs will not light up when the hall sensor is dead or the hall sensor wire is cut.

What do you see with broken or shorted phase wire?
A broken phase wire on the motor can be determined if the LED does not lights up when turn by hand.

What do you see with broken throttle?
A broken throttle can be determined and the LED does not change color.

Here is the video recording for controller testing during troubleshooting a controller issue for a member due to incorrect wiring. I have bypassed the user's custom hall and throttle connectors and wires to narrow down the issue. This is how the LEDs rotate at 120 degree hall angle.

Regards,
Lyen
Last edited by Lyen on Sep 20 2011 11:54am, edited 2 times in total.
Items For Sale

Doctorbass   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Doctorbass » Sep 02 2010 11:12pm

Lyen, i'll take one!

PayMent sent :mrgreen:

Doc
CURRENT PROJECT: 2WD duo MXUS/Max-E ebike 32kW
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=65764
-Fastest speed record 117 km/h on flat
-Fastest 1/4 mile@ 114km/h on flat and 16.316 sec
-Succeded to haul a 19200 pounds schoolbus!
113kmh Gianthttp://www.evalbum.com/3406
Mongoosehttp://www.evalbum.com/1947
YOUTUBE---https://m.youtube.com/user/Doctorbasss
http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
I speak FRENCH and english

jateureka   10 kW

10 kW

Post by jateureka » Oct 05 2010 7:34am

I've used this tester a few times. Some additions/alterations to the procedures that I found:

The tester LEDs are divided into 4 groups:
1. First three LEDs from the top left is for the motor phase wire (marked as Y, G, B)
2. The second row is the motor hall sensor (marked as Y, G, B)
3. The first LED on third row is for the hall angle. Lights on = 60 degree, off = 120 degree
The second LED on third row is the power on. It is not necessary to turn the power on when testing the motor phase wires and controller phase wires
The third LED on third row is for throttle. The colour should change when the throttle is being turned
4. The circle of seven LEDs on the right are for the controller phase rotation testing. The middle LED labeled "5V" is for voltage from the controller to the hall sensors inside the motor. It should light up when the hall sensor connector is plugged in from the controller. The other 6 LEDs in the circle will light up either clockwise or anti clockwise to indicate motor rotation direction as the throttle is applied.

Wires:
The far left set is to the throttle (red=positive, black=negative, blue=throttle hall)
The second set (yellow, green, blue) is to the phase wires of the motor
The third with five wires is to the hall sensor connector of the motor
The fourth set (yellow, green, blue) is to the controller phase output
The fifth set with five wires is to the hall sensor connector of the controller

Procedure to test the motor phase wires.
1. Connect only the 3 phase wires from the motor to the tester, with the tester OFF.
2. Rotate the motor in forward position [Note. For MAC/CMA geared hub motor you need to rotate the wheel backwards]
3. Determine if all three LED lights blink on and off. If one or more LEDs do not light up then there may be a broken / open circuit phase wire. [Note. For MAC/CMA geared hub motor they may all light at once]
4. If all three LEDs blink, then verify if they blink in sequence. The sequence should be from left to right for forward motion/rotation.

Procedure to test the motor hall sensors and wires.
1. Connect only the hall sensor connector from the motor to the tester and turn the tester ON. (You may need to remove the white plastic connectors in order to test some brushless motors. To do so, pinch the pins from the holes to remove them. Also, you may need to use additional alligator clips to connect to wires to the motor.)
2. Rotate the motor in forward position
3. Determine if all three LED lights blink on and off. If one or more LEDs do not light up then the hall sensor is dead or the wire may be a broken / open circuit.
4. If all three LEDs blink, then verify if they blink in sequence. The sequence should be from left to right for forward motion/rotation

Procedure to test the controller and throttle
4. Turn the tester ON
5. Verify the 5V led light is on in the centre of the circle of rotation LEDs. If the 5V LED is off then the controller is NOT supplying 5V to the motor hall sensors.
6. Verify the throttle LED is green. If the LED is not green or does not light then the throttle wires or hall sensor may be open or short circuit.
7. Slowly turn the throttle
8. Verify the throttle green LED turns off at about 1/2 throttle and lights up red at WOT. If the LED does not change colour then the throttle is faulty.
9. Verify the rotation LED lights are on and rotate [Note. a pair of opposing LEDs light at a time as they rotate]
E-bikes: Bafang 8FUN; Mac; Ezee; FreeGo; Aprilia 7s LiPo; eLation V2; TerraTrike recumbent
E-motorbikes: ZEV 7100 LR scooter, 84V 60Ah LiFePO4.
ZERO 2011 S motorcycle, 51.8V 70Ah LiMno2, 2012 headlight, Kilovac EV-200 contactor
E-mower: EGO 56V mower & line trimmer

BLUESTREAK   1 kW

1 kW

Post by BLUESTREAK » Oct 05 2010 11:17pm

ORDERED (2) THANKS LYEN. :)

greenerwheels   10 W

10 W

Post by greenerwheels » Oct 07 2010 7:16pm

I just had the boss (wife) paypal you for a tester, this will be much cleaner than the mess of wires I've got strung across my work bench. Looking forward to the new toy..... I mean tool.

Thanks

Greenerwheels

greenerwheels   10 W

10 W

Post by greenerwheels » Oct 12 2010 7:43pm

I just got my tester today and I can say I am very satisfied. The packaging was excellent, I carefully cut the tape and turned the box right side out and I now have the original box it came it, very cool. With the instructions posted here (Excellent instructions, thank you everyone) I tested a box of hall throttles I had laying around. As soon I have time I'll test my spare controllers and motors, this is pretty darn cool, thank you!
Now the only thing left to do it come up with a decent connector to standardize my throttles and hall sensors with

Thanks

Greenerwheels

Kiwi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Kiwi » Oct 20 2010 11:09pm

Here is a picture to help using the tester.
E-bike-tester.jpg
E-bike-tester.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Last edited by Kiwi on Nov 27 2013 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Nov 13 2010 10:06pm

When testing my controller, the 5V LED flashes and continues to flash during the test. The LED's rotate with a bit of throttle but only light throttle makes them rotate. If I give it too much throttle, the rotating LEDs go out. Does this seem correct?

Also both my Crystalyte motors (408 and 5X) show reverse rotation (LEDs go right to left) when phases are connected colour for colour. Is this common with Crystalyte motors?
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
75 Volt 6 kW FUTR Beta 29'er: OFF ROAD

Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lyen » Nov 13 2010 10:25pm

Kepler wrote:When testing my controller, the 5V LED flashes and continues to flash during the test. The LED's rotate with a bit of throttle but only light throttle makes them rotate. If I give it too much throttle, the rotating LEDs go out. Does this seem correct?

Also both my Crystalyte motors (408 and 5X) show reverse rotation (LEDs go right to left) when phases are connected colour for colour. Is this common with Crystalyte motors?
Hi Kepler,

You are correct that some throttle will cutoff if you turn it up all the way due to design. The way I test it is turn 1/2 to 3/4 of the turn for testing.

As for the Crystalyte controller and motors, they do have difference wiring/color lining. See below:
Lyen Controller to Crystalyte motor wire color lining:

Tester: Motor:
HALL:
Yellow Yellow
Green Blue
Blue Green

PHASE:
Yellow Blue
Green Green
Blue Yellow

Regards,
Lyen
Items For Sale

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Nov 14 2010 3:03am

Thanks Lyen, explains why the bike wanted to go backwards. :)

Very handy tool. Found one of my hall sensors to be faulty. Shame I didnt have it earlier. Would have saved me a lot of time and money. Looks like I now have a spare controller :oops: . Not a bad thing though as I was looking for an excuse to put the Bomber on 125V :D
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
75 Volt 6 kW FUTR Beta 29'er: OFF ROAD

sabb50   1 µW

1 µW

Post by sabb50 » Nov 15 2010 10:46am

Nice Kiwi

I just got in some connectors from ebikes.ca to do the same addition

Lyen you should get some adaptors made to sell with these.

Stephen

Dieter   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Dieter » Jan 24 2011 6:47pm

Hello Lyen

Do you have any more of these tester available for sale or do you plan in getting more in the near future. I am in Canberra, ACT, Australia,
Thanks in advance

Dieter

Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lyen » Jan 24 2011 7:06pm

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your interest in the ebike tester. Yes, I still do have it available. PM sent.

Best Regards,
Edward Lyen
Dieter wrote:Hello Lyen

Do you have any more of these tester available for sale or do you plan in getting more in the near future. I am in Canberra, ACT, Australia,
Thanks in advance

Dieter
Items For Sale

karma   10 kW

10 kW

Post by karma » Jan 24 2011 8:19pm

dude your killing me with all these toys :twisted:

cheers

RallySTX   10 kW

10 kW

Post by RallySTX » Jan 27 2011 1:30am

Hi Ed, just a heads up, I will probably be sending you a PM in a week or so for one.
Brian L.
Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
Janesville WI.
2005 Schwinn Stingray Spoiler
2004 Schwinn Stingray OCC. The Stripper.
Build thread
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 4&p=322312
Web. http://www.wix.com/brian_larson/rallystx128hhj

karma   10 kW

10 kW

Post by karma » Feb 03 2011 2:48pm

just came in works well thanks again :wink:

cheers

Dieter   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Dieter » Feb 04 2011 4:35pm

Thanks Lyen. Tester arrived in safe and sound condition. Will now see if it can sort out the "stuttering" issue I have with my X408. Thanks again.

Dieter

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Feb 07 2011 12:08pm

jateureka wrote: Procedure to test the motor phase wires.
1. Connect only the 3 phase wires from the motor to the tester, with the tester OFF.
2. Rotate the motor in forward position [Note. For MAC/CMA geared hub motor you need to rotate the wheel backwards]
3. Determine if all three LED lights blink on and off. If one or more LEDs do not light up then there may be a broken / open circuit phase wire. [Note. For MAC/CMA geared hub motor they may all light at once]
4. If all three LEDs blink, then verify if they blink in sequence. The sequence should be from left to right for forward motion/rotation.

So where is power coming from to light the LED's? is this an induced voltage...ie the motor acting as a generator?

jateureka wrote:
Procedure to test the controller and throttle
4. Turn the tester ON
5. Verify the 5V led light is on in the centre of the circle of rotation LEDs. If the 5V LED is off then the controller is NOT supplying 5V to the motor hall sensors.
6. Verify the throttle LED is green. If the LED is not green or does not light then the throttle wires or hall sensor may be open or short circuit.
7. Slowly turn the throttle
8. Verify the throttle green LED turns off at about 1/2 throttle and lights up red at WOT. If the LED does not change colour then the throttle is faulty.
9. Verify the rotation LED lights are on and rotate [Note. a pair of opposing LEDs light at a time as they rotate]
My lights, ( with a Lyen 18 FE controller) only light when the throttle moves. As soon as you hold the throttle open in any position, the movement stops.
Is this correct?, or should they continue to rotate
:) Only Irish coffee provides in a glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat :)

Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lyen » Feb 12 2011 12:36am

Update 2/24/2011: sale resumed
Last edited by Lyen on Feb 24 2011 7:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Items For Sale

jateureka   10 kW

10 kW

Post by jateureka » Feb 22 2011 7:11am

I tried it on an 8FUN sensorless motor and it seemed that all LEDs light up when the wheel was rolled backwards but the blue phase didn't light up as much as the other two. Does that sound like it's still OK?

Can this also test a sensorless motor controller?
E-bikes: Bafang 8FUN; Mac; Ezee; FreeGo; Aprilia 7s LiPo; eLation V2; TerraTrike recumbent
E-motorbikes: ZEV 7100 LR scooter, 84V 60Ah LiFePO4.
ZERO 2011 S motorcycle, 51.8V 70Ah LiMno2, 2012 headlight, Kilovac EV-200 contactor
E-mower: EGO 56V mower & line trimmer

Lyen   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lyen » Feb 24 2011 7:40am

jateureka wrote:I tried it on an 8FUN sensorless motor and it seemed that all LEDs light up when the wheel was rolled backwards but the blue phase didn't light up as much as the other two. Does that sound like it's still OK?

Can this also test a sensorless motor controller?
Hi Jateureka,

I have sent you a PM with solutions. :)

Best Regards,
Lyen
Items For Sale