Universal 3-Speed Switch (no programming,works w/any cntrlr)

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
methods   100 GW

100 GW

Universal 3-Speed Switch (no programming,works w/any cntrlr)

Post by methods » Jun 28 2012 10:45pm

Matthew has come up with an awesome new product. He has created a 3spd switch that is totally independent of the Infineon X1/X2/X3 programming. Instead it has two potentiometers for setting the Medium and Low percentages.

They are potted in epoxy and plug-n-play ready for any ebikes.ca or Crystalyte controller that uses the standard 3 pin JST-SM black connectors. He already did a production run of 15pcs and they are ready to ship (as soon as I get back to the shop). We will put them up on MethTek.com this weekend.

The switches are marked in awesome Chinese - which btw... we are looking for some creative translations for :wink:

Matthews company is Custom Link Technologies

No website yet - he is too busy working on his CroMotor setup :twisted: but his contact info is there. Matthews shop is way WAY nicer than mine... he already has a 500W solder pot, ultrasonic cleaning station, hot air setup, work stations.... When I went by there the other day they were rigging up some little kids electric go-kart to do like 25mph :D Teach um young.

I also saw a bunch of Emoli cells and it looked like they were building up packs - so if you are local to the Bay Area you may consider talking with them if you are looking for someone to help you complete a project.

I dont have any pictures - hopefully Matthew does and will post them below.

Anyway - This is a limited production run that took a long time to make and fool around with so I wanted to make sure you guys got first crack at them in case he does not have time to do a second run. They ain't going to be cheap - if you are cheap then put your DIY pants on and get to work :wink: I am sure that Matthew will be more than happy to share his design with anyone who is broke or interested in DIY.

I will post back up when they are available on the www.MethodsTechnology.com.

-methods
Increasing battery voltage and controller current limit will result in a non linear experience

heathyoung   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Universal 3-Speed Switch (no programming,works w/any cnt

Post by heathyoung » Jun 29 2012 1:51am

I'm guessing a resistive divider on the throttle output right? Nice. One good thing about speed rather than torque based throttles :)
GNG offroad build on Craftworks DHR with 12S2P lipo. Light, balanced, powerful, able to climb a tree.
Project Vectrii (2) - status - Finished. Nope. 38S Leaf cells are next. Now have 2 of them - Averages 50Wh/Klm

Sacman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Sacman » Jun 29 2012 2:29am

methods wrote:Matthew has come up with an awesome new product. He has created a 3spd switch that is totally independent of the Infineon X1/X2/X3 programming. Instead it has two potentiometers for setting the Medium and Low percentages.

They are potted in epoxy and plug-n-play ready for any ebikes.ca or Crystalyte controller that uses the standard 3 pin JST-SM black connectors. He already did a production run of 15pcs and they are ready to ship (as soon as I get back to the shop). We will put them up on MethTek.com this weekend.

The switches are marked in awesome Chinese - which btw... we are looking for some creative translations for :wink:
Universal 3-speed switch... Very nice! I could actually use 1 or 2 of these so I'll be looking out for them becoming available. I couldn't really tell from your description but does this plug in between controller and throttle?

scriewy   100 W

100 W

Post by scriewy » Jun 29 2012 7:27am

Good thingy !
i use 1 not to maw down pedestriens if something happens with throttle when on sidewalks
it's a pitty i wont stay to see the world crumble, u jedi Scum

clyte 405,
went through battle, bloody resurected Dewalts 4x28v 2s2p usable 2.7ah, 52v drops to 44v at 54kmh
78v 2ah Vdrop to 58v at max 66kmh.
72kg rider + 23kg bike.
keywin 20a 30-70v mod to 6 4110 as methods advised for noobs, shunted 38a
clyte 24-72v 40a mod 4310 to 4110, shunted to 77a
17.5.11 - 5000km
at 78v 4ah 72.7kmh Vdrop to 68v
10.11 - 82.1kmh
30.8.12-17000km

a place for lasers as ES is for e-vehicles - laserpointerforums.com

deVries   1 MW

1 MW

Post by deVries » Jun 29 2012 8:23am

scriewy wrote:Good thingy !
i use 1 not to maw down pedestriens if something happens with throttle when on sidewalks
That's a good idea. :)

Methods, you always mention Matthew working "the projects" you guys do together. Does he contract with you, or are you in some partnership business wise? At times it seems he's living at your place "cooking" circuit boards with you to some "mad scientist" hours of the night, etc. :lol: I'm just curious, idle curiosity, since you always talk about this mystery guy named Matthew. I say "mystery", since most ES people don't live nearby Santa Cruz or even in CA for that matter. :mrgreen:

methods   100 GW

100 GW

Post by methods » Jun 29 2012 11:56am

heathyoung wrote:I'm guessing a resistive divider on the throttle output right? Nice. One good thing about speed rather than torque based throttles :)
Basically you put an inline resistance between the throttle and the controller.
HIGH then gives you 100% throttle
MEDIUM switches a potentiometer to ground on the throttle side creating a voltage divider
LOW switches in a different potentiometer to make a different voltage divider

Now you can have 3 different settings - or scales - of the throttle.

deVries wrote: Methods, you always mention Matthew working "the projects" you guys do together. Does he contract with you, or are you in some partnership business wise? At times it seems he's living at your place "cooking" circuit boards with you to some "mad scientist" hours of the night, etc. :lol: I'm just curious, idle curiosity, since you always talk about this mystery guy named Matthew. I say "mystery", since most ES people don't live nearby Santa Cruz or even in CA for that matter. :mrgreen:
It is a little of both

I originally interviewed Matthew for a position at a company I used to work at. He was top of his class and we hired him. We started working on ebikes and when I left the company he started helping me at MethTek in his spare time. We still work together on projects - and since this is basically a 1/2 man show either of us could be doing anything from design work to populating boards to troubleshooting and repair. Anyway - my little shop got crowded quick and Matthew opened up his own shop. Now instead of us staying up till all hours sweating in my shop I basically give him a box of parts and he comes back with finished product :)

So we do work till all hours of the night cooking up mad brews in my Chemistry lab and we also do regular business.

-methods
Increasing battery voltage and controller current limit will result in a non linear experience

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Jun 29 2012 12:18pm

Any pictures of this nifty device?
What about an estimated price range, for those who are broke :?: :mrgreen:
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

methods   100 GW

100 GW

Post by methods » Jun 29 2012 12:54pm

Matthew went over to my shop to take some pictures today I think.

The price is going to be so staggeringly high that you will probably become lightheaded and fall over when you see it on MethTek.com. The reality is tho... that we spend tons of time making something like this available - we front all the cash, deal with the vendors, make the prototypes, test, provide customer support, warranty, eat the failures, eat shipping warranty.... so if we price these to make $5 and the inevitable happens we actually lose money and Matthew has to boil is boots to make soup.

This is all about the DIY revolution so if you are broke then dude... just make one!

I will let you wait to see the price :twisted:

-methods

cbr shadow   1 kW

1 kW

Post by cbr shadow » Jun 29 2012 1:39pm

I dont quite understand what this is.. Is it a 3 speed switch that can work with any controller, as opposed to the currently available 3 speed switches that only work with infineon controllers?
Thanks

Stochastic   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Stochastic » Jun 29 2012 2:16pm

Ok I got the pictures all together. This is the first batch of the switches.
FirstBatch.jpg
FirstBatch.jpg (181.23 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
UpClose.jpg
UpClose.jpg (174.15 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
UpClose2.jpg
UpClose2.jpg (184.67 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Switch.jpg
Switch.jpg (160.57 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
-Matthew

methods   100 GW

100 GW

Post by methods » Jun 29 2012 2:34pm

cbr shadow wrote:I dont quite understand what this is.. Is it a 3 speed switch that can work with any controller, as opposed to the currently available 3 speed switches that only work with infineon controllers?
Thanks
Yes - that is the idea.
Since none of the Ebikes.ca controllers work with 3spd switch - and since many people who have programmable controllers are not comfortable flashing them... this solves that problem by just doing it the old school analog way.

Speaking of which... we need to test one on a Lyen controller. From what I have heard he and Keywin are populating the throttle input with only a 2K pull down which is going to screw this up a bit. I wish they would use a 10K or 20K. I know they will work with a Lyen controller but the stated range percentages will change a bit with the lower input impedance.

-methods

hydro-one   10 kW

10 kW

Post by hydro-one » Jun 29 2012 4:47pm

I would set those pots and then pot the pots. who knows what will happen when i pour salt water on that thing!!! :mrgreen:

Iguess if its a divider, worst that could happen here is an unintentional , full range (normal throttle). so should be ok!!
Pro ebiker
28s hk lipo
3ooA kelly/cromotor 17"
sana cruz bullit

snellemin   10 kW

10 kW

Post by snellemin » Jun 29 2012 8:04pm

Nice, I want one to mess with on my ebay controller and Lyen sensorless controllers.
Silent speed Racer

Sacman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Sacman » Jun 30 2012 12:54am

methods wrote: The price is going to be so staggeringly high that you will probably become lightheaded and fall over when you see it on MethTek.com. The reality is tho... that we spend tons of time making something like this available - we front all the cash, deal with the vendors, make the prototypes, test, provide customer support, warranty, eat the failures, eat shipping warranty.... so if we price these to make $5 and the inevitable happens we actually lose money and Matthew has to boil is boots to make soup.

This is all about the DIY revolution so if you are broke then dude... just make one!

I will let you wait to see the price :twisted:

-methods
I don't have any problem paying people for the work they put into developing a specialized and useful product. If it works right they should get paid.
methods wrote: Since none of the Ebikes.ca controllers work with 3spd switch - and since many people who have programmable controllers are not comfortable flashing them... this solves that problem by just doing it the old school analog way.

Speaking of which... we need to test one on a Lyen controller. From what I have heard he and Keywin are populating the throttle input with only a 2K pull down which is going to screw this up a bit. I wish they would use a 10K or 20K. I know they will work with a Lyen controller but the stated range percentages will change a bit with the lower input impedance.
-methods
I'm thinking about using one on my brother's ebike with an analog Crystallyte controller, and also with a digital 18-FET BMC controller. But I do have a new Lyen controller I can try it on and let you know.

rojitor   100 kW

100 kW

Post by rojitor » Jun 30 2012 11:22am

I'm down for one just in case i can afford it.

nicobie   1 GW

1 GW

Post by nicobie » Jun 30 2012 1:57pm

That neat having the pots adjustable. This way we can set what we want for 1st & 2nd speed.

Awhile back, at methods suggestion, I made one of these to go on the throttle wire to control the range of the throttle. Works great.

Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Jun 30 2012 2:14pm

nicobie wrote:That neat having the pots adjustable. This way we can set what we want for 1st & 2nd speed.

Awhile back, at methods suggestion, I made one of these to go on the throttle wire to control the range of the throttle. Works great.

Looks great too :lol:
Great ingenuity :wink:
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

Sacman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Sacman » Jun 30 2012 3:10pm

nicobie wrote:That neat having the pots adjustable. This way we can set what we want for 1st & 2nd speed.

Looks good Nick! Pretty minimal and can be placed next to the controller. But since there's no remote switch to mount on the handle bars I guess you can't change the speed on the fly... you have to stop, get off the bike in order to switch it right?

Methods gave me some similar info on how to make a universal cruise control but I never got around to making one. :cry:

nicobie   1 GW

1 GW

Post by nicobie » Jul 01 2012 12:37pm

It's not made to do what methods unit does. It just fine tunes the throttle range to get rid of dead spots.

Methods unit is the real deal.
Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Jul 02 2012 12:10pm

Hey Methods!
What happened to posting these things up on your site this weekend :?:
That was, quite literally, the highlight of my weekend. Forget all the July 4th fire works and party's that was going on :mrgreen:
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph

JoramsWeapon   100 mW

100 mW

Post by JoramsWeapon » Jul 02 2012 12:15pm

I'd be very interested in getting this 3-speed switch plus throttle assembly and I hope you put them up for sale soon!

Stochastic   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Stochastic » Jul 02 2012 2:32pm

I'll have to remind Patrick to put the switches up when he gets a chance.

This first batch is limited but if there is enough demand I can start working on another batch :mrgreen: .

-Matthew

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Jul 03 2012 9:12pm

Just ordered one. :D
How are they setup "right out of the factory"?
Any ballparks on the percent throttle in each position of the switch?
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph

deVries   1 MW

1 MW

Post by deVries » Jul 03 2012 9:27pm

Is there any ideal placement location thought of to put the potted adjustment part on the bike somewhere hidden or out of sight?

Thanks. :)

Sacman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Sacman » Jul 03 2012 10:26pm

I just ordered on as well. Gonna be interesting to see how it tames down the twitchy-ness of the throttle on one of my higher speed ebikes. Thanks again for developing these Matthew! :mrgreen: