Universal 3-Speed Switch (no programming,works w/any cntrlr)

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Sacman   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Universal 3-Speed Switch (no programming,works w/any cnt

Post by Sacman » Jul 03 2012 10:31pm

I'm gonna put the potted adjustment blob near the controller. There is normally a cluster of connector plugs about 5 inches away from the controller that I normally just wrap up in electrical tape to protect from dirt and moisture. I figure just putting that potted blob right there as well.
deVries wrote:Is there any ideal placement location thought of to put the potted adjustment part on the bike somewhere hidden or out of sight?

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Jul 03 2012 11:51pm

I plan on placing the potted mass in my battery box, if it will fit. If that doesn't work, sacmans approach seems to be the way to go. Camouflage the wirey mess with another wirey mess :lol:
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

methods   100 GW

100 GW

Post by methods » Jul 06 2012 12:56pm

Trackman417 wrote:Just ordered one. :D
How are they setup "right out of the factory"?
Any ballparks on the percent throttle in each position of the switch?
I dont know about that... you will have to ask Matthew.
Best bet is to jack up the ass end of your bike so that you can do some testing. I like to flip my bike upside down... but this can be dangerous :twisted:

I would raise up the rear tire, secure the potted module with a piece of tape, take a screwdriver in my left hand, twist the throttle in my right hand, and turn the pots while watching the speed readout on your ca.

Matthew has some rough numbers he can share... but the problem is that the circuit is dependent on your controller input resistance so any absolute percentage mappings he gives you will be skewed a bit. Just look at your freewheel speed, calculate your desired percentage, and tune to that speed. (if you want to get all scientific ) :mrgreen:

deVries wrote:Is there any ideal placement location thought of to put the potted adjustment part on the bike somewhere hidden or out of sight?

Thanks. :)
They are set up with a long whip so that you can put the control on the handlebar and mount the epoxy block right at your controller (with the other stuff that you dont want to get all that wet)

Anyway -
I suppose you guys have figured out that I put them up on the website. I have been working 13 hour days trying to dial in this new LVC_Breaker. There is one nasty mode where I can blow it by stalling out the bike. It is really kicking my ass :| I will get it tho - I always do :wink:

It is looking like I may possibly be able to have it act as both the HVC_Breaker and LVC_Breaker in one box - but that will take some tricky wiring and a lot more testing.

-methods
Increasing battery voltage and controller current limit will result in a non linear experience

Stochastic   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Stochastic » Jul 06 2012 1:05pm

methods wrote:
Trackman417 wrote:Just ordered one. :D
How are they setup "right out of the factory"?
Any ballparks on the percent throttle in each position of the switch?
I dont know about that... you will have to ask Matthew.
Best bet is to jack up the ass end of your bike so that you can do some testing. I like to flip my bike upside down... but this can be dangerous :twisted:

I would raise up the rear tire, secure the potted module with a piece of tape, take a screwdriver in my left hand, twist the throttle in my right hand, and turn the pots while watching the speed readout on your ca.

Matthew has some rough numbers he can share... but the problem is that the circuit is dependent on your controller input resistance so any absolute percentage mappings he gives you will be skewed a bit. Just look at your freewheel speed, calculate your desired percentage, and tune to that speed. (if you want to get all scientific ) :mrgreen:
They are not set at any particular setting right out of the factory right now. I did hook them all up to a bike and test them so they may be sitting at the maximum or minimum resistances for each trimmer pot.
I will have to look at my notes later to see what the exact percentages I found when hooked up to my bike.

-Matthew

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Jul 06 2012 1:43pm

methods wrote:
It is looking like I may possibly be able to have it act as both the HVC_Breaker and LVC_Breaker in one box - but that will take some tricky wiring and a lot more testing.

-methods
This sounds awesome.
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Jul 09 2012 3:49pm

Got the three speed switch today! :mrgreen:
The pots that are potted in epoxy are much smaller than I thought they would be. I can't wait to put these things to the test tomorrow morning and tune it up.
Thanks for the great innovation Methods and Stochastic :mrgreen:
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

Stochastic   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Stochastic » Jul 09 2012 4:08pm

Trackman417 wrote:Got the three speed switch today! :mrgreen:
The pots that are potted in epoxy are much smaller than I thought they would be. I can't wait to put these things to the test tomorrow morning and tune it up.
Thanks for the great innovation Methods and Stochastic :mrgreen:
Glad to hear that you like it!
Let us know how it performs on your bike :mrgreen: .

-Matthew

methods   100 GW

100 GW

Post by methods » Jul 10 2012 1:05pm

We toyed with the idea of installing larger 1-turn pots that you could adjust on the fly. In the end we figured folks would test and tune then pretty much leave it alone so Matthew went with the much smaller 10-turn pots that have more resolution and are less likely to get bumped.

We have 20pcs of 24fet kits on the way from China now. We also have 5pcs of 24fet sample about to go into production. These will have 7AWG wires, genuine IRFB4110 fets, retarded overkill on capacitors, TVS Diode protection on the fets, cleaned, conformal coated, power switches, etc. Folks are going to love these things... for guys currently pushing the limits of 18 fet controllers these will be ROCK SOLID reliable performers. After all the testing we have been doing we have a much better idea of how to protect and manage the mosfets. These controllers are going to be killer.

-methods
Increasing battery voltage and controller current limit will result in a non linear experience

gensem   100 kW

100 kW

Post by gensem » Jul 10 2012 1:08pm

expected price on the 24fet controller methods?
variable regen (soft start regen)?
Justin we really appreciate what you did!

methods   100 GW

100 GW

Post by methods » Jul 10 2012 1:30pm

gensem wrote:expected price on the 24fet controller methods?
variable regen (soft start regen)?
The batch of 20 are programmable - Not familiar with soft start regen - link?
The batch of 5 will not be programmable and regen will be maxed out (perhaps unusable?).

Our final product will sell for $420 and will be rated for 420A (burst rating) and come with a programming cable. This first batch of 20 may sell for less if we start selling them before we get enough testing in to assure they will do what we want them to. Really wont know until we do some testing. The idea is to put out a controller that can either be super reliable for guys running 100V 100A or at least *capable* for guys who want to punch harder currents into CroMotors.

The other non-programmable units will be significantly less - but that price will end up being a percentage of our cost. Wont know until we test them and determine how much modding they need.

I am building prototypes today - in fact I am off to the electronics store in a few here to see what they have in the way of caps in stock. Screw Digikey - I am so sick of having to choose from 56,000 parts... I just want to pick from 3 :roll:

-methods

gensem   100 kW

100 kW

Post by gensem » Jul 10 2012 1:49pm

methods wrote:
The batch of 20 are programmable - Not familiar with soft start regen - link?
The batch of 5 will not be programmable and regen will be maxed out (perhaps unusable?).

-methods
I dont have a link either, its just something thats really needed when you have big power numbers, much like a progressive throttle (ie CA current throttle).
I think you ll lock the wheel quite often with max regen even without modding the shunt. Im using a bone stock 18fet 4110 controller and it does hit my moped tire very hard.

400 is a nice price... 40kw bursts looks nice also!
Last edited by gensem on Jul 10 2012 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin we really appreciate what you did!

methods   100 GW

100 GW

Post by methods » Jul 10 2012 7:47pm

A year or two back there were a bunch of Infineon type controllers that had variable regen. Ebikes.ca had a batch. Pressing the regen button would get you some small amount (like 20%) then twisting the throttle would increase the regen.

This is totally unsafe though on a powerful bike - if you keep that throttle pinned and let go of the regen button you get instant full throttle.

-methods

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Jul 16 2012 10:06pm

Jut got around to using the three speed switch today.... Well it's a two speed switch right now. It was too dark for me to adjust the tiny screws on the pots, so all I have is the medium and the high power modes to work with. But so far it is a great way to just tune down the power for other people to ride your high powered bike :mrgreen: . Definitely takes care of that initial kick you feel when you just want to feather the throttle. Will try to work out the low positions tomorrow when I get some more sunlight.
Great job GUYS :mrgreen:
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph

dan974   1 kW

1 kW

Post by dan974 » Feb 21 2014 11:31pm

does the switch are still available ? and so, would you share a diagram to make one plz ?

Falco   100 W

100 W

Post by Falco » Feb 22 2014 1:00am

dan974 wrote:does the switch are still available ? and so, would you share a diagram to make one plz ?
Methods is no longer in the ebike business sorry buddy. He sold all his stuff a while back and has left the forum for now.
Hopefully someone else can share with you what you seek.
2012 Giant Anthem SL0 Carbon fiber bike running BBS02, 13s4p Samsung 18650 25r, Di2 XTR shift kit.

nicobie   1 GW

1 GW

Post by nicobie » Feb 22 2014 2:58pm

I wish he would come back. I miss his weird sense of humor.
Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

Hobbit   100 W

100 W

Post by Hobbit » May 07 2017 4:59pm

*cough* Heya Methods Buddy, I have one of your 3 spd switches plugged into a Crystalyte controller. I get left switch 60% middle 100% right 60%, no matter how many turns of the pot clockwise or counterclockwise the power does not change. What am I missing ? This little doodad is great, I've just gotta get it to work...
Kannada!! Tetsuo!!