MidMonster hi efficiency hi power mid-drive motor now $349

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

MidMonster hi efficiency hi power mid-drive motor now $349

Post by John in CR » Feb 08 2013 7:21pm

I managed to snag a one time deal for you guys. The best high power hubbie in the world has a slightly smaller brother named Mid-Monster, same 6 phase design with a slightly smaller stator and an all alloy shell. I had to post this ad prematurely, because I thought we had an extra 2 weeks but these babies are on a fast ship that's scheduled to unload in NY on Mar 12th. That means with a little luck we're clearing Customs in New Orleans the first day of Spring. The base price is $349 plus actual shipping from Louisiana.

We want to go the early commitment route to both keep costs to a bare minimum and be able to offer a turnkey plug-n-play solution to those not wanting to do the metal work. That means arranging drive sprockets, axle clamping motor mount brackets, and even ventilation for those wanting to run crazy power.

Not only are these high efficiency motors economical but they're inexpensive to drive too. For under $200 in controllers you can drive this baby to nearly 10kw peak input, and we're talking stock controllers and stock motor. Simple mods get you way past there.

Here's my son's thread. He's running the one he has in wheel. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=42531

Here's mine (a new one I cut off the rim) and those stateside are a bit dirty and scratched from sitting around the factory with busted rims, so they're a bit dirty and scratched with some marks from them cutting off the rims with a plasma cutter, but they're easily polished up with an angle grinder and lap disc:
MidMonster a.JPG
MidMonster a.JPG (59.17 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
MidMonster b.JPG
MidMonster b.JPG (32.39 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
MidMonster c.JPG
MidMonster c.JPG (33.83 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
MidMonster d.JPG
MidMonster d.JPG (38.86 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Note that I put the red marks with initial plans to take my motor straight to a max power set up. I decided it was better to run it in sealed form first to get good info on what it can take before more cooling is needed. The lines on the sprocket end are for slots I will cut to be able to mount interior blade/deflectors from the outside. Their purpose will be to create a more turbulent air flow at the stator and greatly improve cooling like I have used with success with my other vented motors, though the mount interior blades from the outside is an untested idea.

John
Last edited by John in CR on Dec 13 2014 10:26pm, edited 7 times in total.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

MidMonster hi efficiency hi power mid-drive solution $389

Post by John in CR » Feb 08 2013 7:24pm

The motor weighs 11.2kg as pictured (edited for corrected weight)

Kv is 14rpm/v (same running one controller or 2)

Phase-to-phase resistance seen by each controller is 0.089 ohm, so 0.045ohm for comparison to 3 phase motors.

No load current (same running one controller or 2)
1.8A at 1620rpm
1.1A at 1000rpm
0.72 at 700rpm
MidMonster with dimensions.JPG
MidMonster with dimensions.JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
other pics and measurements to come
Last edited by John in CR on Dec 10 2014 12:10pm, edited 2 times in total.

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Re: MidMonster hi efficiency hi power mid-drive solution $38

Post by grindz145 » Feb 08 2013 9:11pm

Wow, yeah bicycle chains need not apply... Sick motor and a sick price.

Know of any sprockets that will bolt up?

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Feb 08 2013 10:35pm

grindz145 wrote:Wow, yeah bicycle chains need not apply... Sick motor and a sick price.
Know of any sprockets that will bolt up?
I'd like to make 428 moto chain the standard, because it's cheap and readily available with easy to find driven sprockets. The ID required matches the 58mm of common driven sprockets, and with half inch pitch chain it looks like the minimum tooth count on the drive sprocket needs to be 26t, which doesn't seem to exist. The smallest I found down here was a 37t, which I'm pairing with a 56t on the wheel, both larger than necessary. Another issue is the 3 bolt disc brake mount vs 4 bolt sprockets. I had a machinist mod my drive sprocket to make it a 4 bolt mount.

The right answer is to get a bunch of 27t (odd for even chain and sprocket wear) drive sprockets made. Everyone will want to gear it down some to the rear to run a larger rear wheel. If they wanted a small scooter tire they'd leave it in wheel, and 27t drive gives all kinds of flexibility. Personally I want to have 2 wheels and chains ready for quick swapout on mine. Then I can gear it down to a 30-40mph top speed for trailing riding fun, and have a more steeply geared tire for the streets. Here all you have to do is follow any road up hill and it turns into a trail where the pavement ends, and pitifully I've yet to go exploring. All I have to do is finish some more folding lightweight solar panels to carry in my backpack and I won't even have to worry about running out of juice with an early morning start. :mrgreen:
Last edited by John in CR on Feb 08 2013 10:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

gensem   100 kW

100 kW

Post by gensem » Feb 08 2013 10:35pm

Really sick price... $389 delivered to Louisiana...
John, whats the motor size?
Justin we really appreciate what you did!

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Feb 08 2013 11:10pm

gensem wrote:Really sick price... $389 delivered to Louisiana...
John, whats the motor size?
The low price is just passing along my savings. The factory had a shelf full of motors with built on AL rims that got damaged with no way to fix, so essentially worthless to them. After seeing how much mine was like Farfle's custom motor, I just couldn't resist the price they gave me, so I had them verify that the motor itself was fine, hack off the rims, and put them in a crate.

As pictured it's 10kg and essentially the same shell dimensions as Hubmonster. My MidMonster is 193mm max diameter at the center and 102mm width at the perimeter. The edges of the motor at the axle are about 160mm, and flats are at 194mm, but those are easily modified. The aluminum shell is very thick, so there's space and weight to save. Also mine has a lot of empty width inside, so it seem the shell was made to accommodate a longer stator and magnets than the 54mm of laminations mine has. We're anxious to get them in and put on a scale. Typically us ebikers would be unhappy if they're heavier, but I'd be happy in this case, because it would mean a longer stator and actually more motor.

The design and materials are the same as Hubmonster but it's 10mm larger stator diameter and a 60mm stack of lams. Other differences are a 20mm axle with 14mm flats, and the 6 phase wires are the metric gauge almost 12ga vs Hubmonster's 25mm.

Today I was thinking that for a motor to be run sealed that we should grind the center diameter down as little as possible. Then even using the crude self lathe and grinder technique we can cut fairly deep and closely spaced channels around the perimeter to greatly increase the surface area for heat dissipation. A hubmotor with real heat sink fins will be another unique aspect of this motor. :mrgreen:

John

mauimart   100 W

100 W

Post by mauimart » Feb 09 2013 1:47pm

John in CR wrote:
John,

That's a nice looking motor. When you add more pics and data could you include:

- number of stator teeth
- number of poles
- schematic of winding scheme (trying to better understand 6-phase)
- number of turns and wire gauge
- pics of inside.

I'll assume the easiest way to power this thing is via two,3-phase controllers, or is there a single 6-phase controller available?

Thanks.
Martin

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Feb 09 2013 4:47pm

mauimart wrote:
John in CR wrote:
John,

That's a nice looking motor. When you add more pics and data could you include:

- number of stator teeth
- number of poles
- schematic of winding scheme (trying to better understand 6-phase)
- number of turns and wire gauge
- pics of inside.

I'll assume the easiest way to power this thing is via two,3-phase controllers, or is there a single 6-phase controller available?

Thanks.
Martin
Martin,
It's identical in layout as Hubmonster, 20 magnets (10 poles) 24 slots (12 for each 3 phase half). It's essentially two 3 phase motors wound on alternating teeth, so the timing is different by one tooth (15°). That's how it runs on 2 controllers without interference or sinc issues. The factory calls it 6 phase, and there are 6 phase wires, but the factory controller is just 2 controller boards in one case. After seeing a pic I took a gamble figuring it was a dual 3 phase and bought my test motor. If it was a true 6 phase with only a proprietary expensive and low power controller I wouldn't even be selling the motor. They cost as much as the motor. Good thing I can sort out the wiring of a 3 phase motor blindfolded, because these motors have 10 hall wires with nothing typical about the colors. 8)

The 6 phase wires coming out of the axle are the metric equivalent of almost 12ga. I don't know the turn count, but the bundle appears to be 12 strands of 20ga, so bigger than 10ga. It's hard to tell much because the area with all the terminations is slathered in some hard black stuff...some kind of high temp epoxy I guess. It's got a Kv of 16 and is designed to run a lead sled scooter 75kph running a 10" scooter wheel. Peak efficiency is in the low 90's depending what voltage is used, though it's a few points lower than Hubmonster. I take it that they had to add a turn to the windings to get the Kv the same and must have ended up with a lower copper fill %, or maybe the extra cm or so of empty width inside somehow affects efficiency.

It's got the same great stator steel with 3 lams per mm. The stator steel is already coated for corrosion prevention and it has a thermistor already installed with a 95°C trip point just like Hubmonster. All 3 motors in the lineup are a pretty big step up compared to other hubmotors I've seen. Maybe that's the Japanese influence, because they were designed by the Japanese and the stator steel is imported from Japan. Where we got lucky is that they're a scooter company who happens to make their own motors. If it was a motor company I have little doubt the prices would be a least double.

John
Last edited by John in CR on Feb 16 2013 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

LI-ghtcycle   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Re: MidMonster hi efficiency hi power mid-drive motor $389

Post by LI-ghtcycle » Feb 16 2013 4:58pm

Sounds great John!

Do I understand correctly that a standard E-Bike controller can be used with this motor? (I'm thinking a programmable Lyen controller and running between 37 - 74v gotta keep the local law happy for the sale to the public and let the customer mod from there for more power)

I would think this would be an easy hub to turn down the flange on the non-phase wire side, and bolt on a bicycle freewheel adapter (not to use free wheels, but thread on track cogs of course!) and I'm thinking at 16kv this would do just as good a job at the lower power spectrum as the min-monster for the "starter bike" with room to grow with more battery/amps through the programmable controller) from a hub.

what do you think?
Thank you Justin_Le for your selfless act of kindness! We all are in your debt.
Back on track E-Bronco! Now with Cro Motor Mid-Drive Goodness!
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=44997

Vision R40 w/3000w MXUS as mid-drive, NuVinci N171B rear wheel as transmission, Silent yet powerful, running 72v 11.6 ah (20s 18650 Li-Ion) to climb hills, tow trailer with zero pedaling when needed!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=75247[/size]

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Feb 16 2013 6:56pm

It's a 6 phase motor, so it requires two 3 phase controllers. The beauty is that not only does it result in a more quiet and smooth running motor, but very cheap controllers work well....potentially with enough money left over to pay for a CA3 to give you a feature set and fine control not possible for anywhere near the price. Plus the controllers are so lightly pushed at the kind of power you're talking about that you can go from modest to eye popping performance with the only change in equipment being additional battery to push enough juice.

John

LI-ghtcycle   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by LI-ghtcycle » Feb 16 2013 7:39pm

Oh that makes sense, hmm maybe I will try the min-monster for my cruiser then, and this will be something I might try for my own bike later, thanks for clearing that up! :D
Thank you Justin_Le for your selfless act of kindness! We all are in your debt.
Back on track E-Bronco! Now with Cro Motor Mid-Drive Goodness!
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=44997

Vision R40 w/3000w MXUS as mid-drive, NuVinci N171B rear wheel as transmission, Silent yet powerful, running 72v 11.6 ah (20s 18650 Li-Ion) to climb hills, tow trailer with zero pedaling when needed!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=75247[/size]

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Feb 16 2013 8:09pm

The 160mm width of the housing is about 6.3-inches, or a hair more than a dollar bill, diameter 7.6-inches. Its my understanding that most of these motors are used on a 48V street-legal scooter that uses a lead acid battery pack to run with traffic. Equal to a 150cc gasoline engine, but here the volts/amps can be raised much more than 150cc's worth.

In their efforts to squeeze out every last drop of efficiency, these motors have thinner laminations made from a higher quality of silicon steel, resulting in more of the battery being converted to work instead of waste-heat. The link above shows .029mm laminations instead of the .050mm that is normally found on most E-bike motors.

If I were converting a 150cc scooter to non-hub electric, or building a serious E-cargobike, I can't think of a better motor to use.

ls7corvete   100 mW

100 mW

Post by ls7corvete » Feb 16 2013 10:43pm

John in CR wrote:We want to go the early commitment route to both keep costs to a bare minimum and be able to offer a turnkey plug-n-play solution to those not wanting to do the metal work. That means arranging drive sprockets, axle clamping motor mount brackets, and even ventilation for those wanting to run crazy power.
Interesting...

Boeckstyns   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Boeckstyns » Mar 12 2013 2:32am

Hi John,

Did you receive these motors yet? I have asked you before of the shipping price of the hubmonster but I think I want to challenge my building skills a bit more than a hub build. Does it come with the rim removed as in the pictures? And which shipping rates would apply when you ship from the states(to Denmark)? Thanks.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 12 2013 7:35am

Boeckstyns wrote:Hi John,

Did you receive these motors yet? I have asked you before of the shipping price of the hubmonster but I think I want to challenge my building skills a bit more than a hub build. Does it come with the rim removed as in the pictures? And which shipping rates would apply when you ship from the states(to Denmark)? Thanks.
Hi Boeckstyns,

The ship is scheduled to unload in NY today, and then the crates go to New Orleans by truck to clear Customs there. There weren't any storms or strikes for that date to slide. I don't know how long the ground process takes, but one document said an expected date of the 27th and the other the 22nd.

Yes, the rims are already off, so we could fit more motors in a smaller volume, so they will be like the picture. I think with have some cleanup work to do where the rims were cut off, so we'll spin them up for some self lathing action. The aluminum is quite thick especially at the center outside of the steel magnet backing ring, so I was thinking we could cut heat sink fins at least into that dull colored center area to dress it up some. It could easily add several hundred sqcm of surface area. I came up with a 20-40% increase in cooling surface area depending how many we can fit, and a lot more if we go into the shiny area too. That's for those wanting to keep theirs sealed.

For those who want to go to high power, we'll can do centrifugal ventilation, and as part of that we can also take as much of the extra thickness of aluminum off of the outer shell. That with along with the cuts for ventilation should be able to remove at least 500g of material, and since that would almost all be at the perimeter of the spinning shell, that has added benefit past just the weight savings.

We still have 5 or 6 motors that aren't spoken for. I think we're out of the lower power controllers, but there's good news on that front. I have some newly available sine wave controllers for testing about to ship. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Apr 14 2013 8:50pm

MidMonsters have now landed in the US. We have just a little clean up of spokes where the damaged rims were cut off at the factory, and as part of that process we will spin them up and make sure all are functional with standard adapters. A soon as we have them all cleaned up we'll post pics of those still available with stateside shipping that looks to be less than $30.

VoKuS   100 W

100 W

Post by VoKuS » Apr 15 2013 2:03pm

Hi John,

1. How can I get my hands on one?

2. What are the stock controllers you are talking about in the first post and where do you get them?

3. I am in Rocklin CA, 95677, Can you ship to here?

4. I have access to a lathe, I can turn the outside to clean up the OD if needed, you can ship the motor the way it comes I am planing to turn the shell down anyway.

5. I am excited about this...
'The Hyena Industries GoPro A Team' ! :)

Whiplash   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Whiplash » Jun 30 2013 9:27am

I just wanted to say I am going to be using one of these lil beasties on my build and will be documenting any and all mods performed to the motor. If you are looking at getting one of these, you may want to check out my build thread and see how awesome it really is! I have yet to get mine so give it a little time and check back often! http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... &start=275

Thanks John for the killer setup!
Power is a fascinating thing, the more you have, the more you want, but the real power is having the restraint not to use it all at once...............Um...Yeah..

The harder you work.....The luckier you get!!

"People who say it can't be done are often interrupted by those that have already figured out how to do it!"

Email me @ currentcycles@gmail.com
OR check out http://www.CurrentCycles.net

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Jun 30 2013 5:22pm

VoKuS wrote:Hi John,

1. How can I get my hands on one?

2. What are the stock controllers you are talking about in the first post and where do you get them?

3. I am in Rocklin CA, 95677, Can you ship to here?

4. I have access to a lathe, I can turn the outside to clean up the OD if needed, you can ship the motor the way it comes I am planing to turn the shell down anyway.

5. I am excited about this...
These are stateside so shipping in the continental US or Canada is simple. We have 15fet controllers with irfb4110 mosfets for $149 for a pair. It takes are pair of them and we pretest and send them out plug and play with the motors. I got some 12fet sine wave controllers in for testing, also with 4110 fets, which I've already tested on the MiniMonster and works well. I'll connect a pair to my MidMonster and see how that works.

We cut off orders until my son gets back from vacation July 8th. I'll have him snap some pics, because these sat around in some unknown corner of the warehouse in China, some for a year or two or more, so they're not pretty and shiny like the pics I posted of the one I have. I dropped the price to $349. I don't want to have him clean them up with a grinder, since those going to Canada will save $ by looking ugly. Plus I'm not even sure of the best method to shine up aluminum. The material is thick, so some of the guys may want to add more cooling surface area by cutting grooves. I think Whiplash may hack the entire brake side off and fabricate a flat side cover to really narrow up the width at the axle. There's savings on the wire side too.

It will be nice getting some of these up and running as mid-drives, because I believe it is one of the best and easiest high power mid-drive solutions available. There's some great stuff that's smaller, but that means high rpm and more noise. Plus to keep them cool people at resorting to even noisier solutions like leaf blower motors. Plus 3 phase motors simply don't have economical controller solutions for high power.

John

Whiplash   100 MW

100 MW

Re: MidMonster hi efficiency hi power mid-drive motor now $3

Post by Whiplash » Jul 20 2013 11:34am

Yes, I will be modifying the motor yo make it as narrow as possible without re-designing the whole thing! For a mid ship build it needs to be a little narrower, but it could go in an extended swingarm quite easily!
Power is a fascinating thing, the more you have, the more you want, but the real power is having the restraint not to use it all at once...............Um...Yeah..

The harder you work.....The luckier you get!!

"People who say it can't be done are often interrupted by those that have already figured out how to do it!"

Email me @ currentcycles@gmail.com
OR check out http://www.CurrentCycles.net

mistercrash   10 kW

10 kW

Post by mistercrash » Mar 22 2014 4:18pm

John in CR wrote:It's got a Kv of 16 and is designed to run a lead sled scooter 75kph running a 10" scooter wheel.
That is the maximum speed I want my lead sled scooter to go, on a 10'' rim running on 20S so 74V. But mostly the maximum speed would be under 60 kph as this scooter is a city ride, no riding outside city limits. John are these motors still with the 10'' rim or are all the rims grinded off?

PM me for price of one motor with two controllers and shipping to Ontario, Canada please.

Thanks
I am so sorry that you are experiencing difficulty in your life, but if you send $10 at paypal.me/Ray1964
, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 23 2014 12:10pm

mistercrash wrote:
John in CR wrote:It's got a Kv of 16 and is designed to run a lead sled scooter 75kph running a 10" scooter wheel.
That is the maximum speed I want my lead sled scooter to go, on a 10'' rim running on 20S so 74V. But mostly the maximum speed would be under 60 kph as this scooter is a city ride, no riding outside city limits. John are these motors still with the 10'' rim or are all the rims grinded off?

PM me for price of one motor with two controllers and shipping to Ontario, Canada please.

Thanks
The batch of motors in this thread all have the rims cut off, so they're for mid-drive use. New with rim are only $35 more, but shipping costs from China will bite harder. I thought your vehicle had to deal with significant loads though...long hills and/or big weight. If so, I don't think MidMonster is the right motor.

While it will probably work fine, I'm not into selling people average performance. When someone uses a motor that is just enough for the job, that where problems and failures come into play, because it's easy to drive the motor into stress levels. Electric motors will kill themselves trying to obey our throttle commands. That why motor power ratings for industrial motors seem so much lower than we are used to, eg a 5hp motor may weigh 40-60kg or more.

mistercrash   10 kW

10 kW

Post by mistercrash » Mar 23 2014 2:23pm

Yes we have discussed plenty about what I would like to do with my scooter. 250 pound rider with 220 scooter. Hills yes, just about on every street in my town there is a hill to climb and you go down on the other side. But none of the hills are long, the longest would be 1 km long before it starts going down on the other side. Right now, a cheap 500 watt hub motor is doing fine with the max speed set at 36/37 km/h.

I was thinking that any motor that is rated at 2 kw or more constant with the quality of build and efficiency of the motors you sell would have no problems doing what the 500 watts motor has been doing but with a top speed set at 75 km/h. This scooter is a city rider and the speed limit is at 50 km/h with a couple exceptions of 60 km/h in my city. 75 top speed would be short bursts to show off if I want to. I'm not interested in going 150 km/h, I'm not ''brave'' enough to do that on a scooter with 10'' wheels. 50 to 60 km/h to ride around town is plenty for me.

We talked about your hubmonster before, but it was a bit sketchy to figure out if it could be fitted in a 10'' rim. I actually bought a 10'' Vespa rim to get the exact measurements from it and form what we talked about, with minimal machining, the hubmonster could be mounted on this 10'' rim. But I was hoping that midmonster would be strong enough, already mounted on a 10'' rim and most important, a couple hundred bucks less expensive. Midmonster with a 10'' rim is a bolt on option for the scooter I have, I just need to make a second bracket for a second controller.
I am so sorry that you are experiencing difficulty in your life, but if you send $10 at paypal.me/Ray1964

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Mar 24 2014 10:49am

With any electric motor you can't look at only the power. It's the torque that matters and that's even more important with a hubmotor, because the gearing is fixed. Our motors are all wound for speed, because the higher Kv means thicker copper so they can ultimately be run at higher power than slower wound motors due to our voltage limitations of controllers. You're talking about running a speed wind DD hubbie at low speeds, with a heavy load, and lots of hills. That's begging for heat problems, because the motor will stay in its low range of efficiency almost all of the time.

If you want to go slow, then the best thing is to gear lower, which is hard or impossible with hubmotors. The next best thing is to use a slow wind motor. It won't be able to handle as much current, but it will be happier and more efficient at lower rpms under load.

mistercrash   10 kW

10 kW

Post by mistercrash » Mar 25 2014 7:43pm

These motors you sell are scooter motors that were used on scooters. Big and heavy ones. And you tell me they won't do on my scooter because I don't want to go fast enough? Makes no sense to me really, I see you sell them to anyone willing to push the boundaries of these motors and drilling holes or grinding slots in them and putting wings on them like maxipads. I cringe at seeing what is done to these fine motors, compromising their structural integrity. Filling them with oil even though they were not engineered for liquid cooling. But what do I know.

All I want is a reliable commuter using one of these motors and according to you, the motors won't work for that purpose? Well John you're the expert so I will respect your opinion and thanks for your patience.