Throttle Tamer's for sale

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Interested in a throttle tamer?

Post by zombiess » May 19 2013 1:08pm

I have been working on a throttle interface to allow for better control of higher powered bikes. I'm finding out from my initial beta release that there is a wider application for it for even lower powered setups after getting some feed back from my beta users and also after putting one on my wife's bike yesterday to help her ride more smoothly.

The trickiest part of this device is adjusting the acceleration and buffer pots, but I provide instructions on how to do it. I managed to dial hers in after about 20 mins of test rides and adjusting. My own took me about an hour to get it exactly how I wanted it, but it was also the very first one I ever tried to tune.

The interface provides a huge adjustment rage that allows you to vary the throttle response from stock to a super slow acceleration with a huge throttle movement filter. You can use it to tailor your throttle to your riding style. You can set it up to have zero delay or lots of delay with the range I provide. The throttle ramp rate is controlled by how quickly you twist the throttle. If you twist it slow, the throttle ramp rate is slow, twist it fast and it can be just like stock, but this is all controller by how you adjust the acceleration 25 turn pot. The other 25 turn pot adjusts the throttle buffer. This feature averages your throttle movements to help you keep riding at a steady state without the bike getting jerky such as going over bumps. It can be set so it's just like stock to the point where quickly moving the throttle full on to full off has zero effect on your speed. Makes off road riding easier. I have also incorporated safety features to help prevent run away throttle situations if wires get shorted or ground connection is lost. It has been tested with common hall sensor ebike throttles which output around 0.8V when off. It will not work on a throttle that has an output of less than 0.3V when off because it will trigger a safety feature which shuts down the throttle output if no throttle is detected.

If you are curious to how the device functions I have an explanation video showing the throttle output on my oscilloscope on youtube you can watch that is very informative, but somewhat boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLEyISYfyZw

My design thread is here if you want to read more
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =2&t=32599

I'm thinking of releasing the first version of this device as is. I'm working on making improvements that incorporate acceleration by reading wheel speed from a hall sensor, but I'm still a little ways off on getting it working + testing it.

The cost of a completed device with throttle plugs that match Lyen style connectors would cost around $35 shipped USPS in the USA. I'm planning to build around 15 of these initially so if you have interest please speak up so I know I'm not wasting my time and money. I'm trying to find a suitable cheap enclosure to put them in right now.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Interested in a throttle tamer?

Post by spinningmagnets » May 19 2013 1:57pm

Sounds good, I'll buy one the second week of June.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » May 19 2013 2:01pm

Sign me up for guinea pig duty. I've got some high power motors headed my way.
My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.

bowlofsalad   1 MW

1 MW

Post by bowlofsalad » May 19 2013 2:45pm

I probably barely understand how the cycleanalyst (CA) works, but I am under the impression that to various degrees, it can do what your device can do. Forgive the newbieness of this question, but how does this work differently than the CA?

mushymelon   1 kW

1 kW

Post by mushymelon » May 19 2013 6:55pm

Put me down for 1

icecube57   1 GW

1 GW

Post by icecube57 » May 19 2013 9:56pm

This would work really well with my BMC motor if it ever gets running. I would be intrested.. snapping my nack when twisting through throttle dead zones isnt fun.

zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Post by zombiess » May 19 2013 11:00pm

This is a good sign. I'm going to go ahead and make a small production run. I have might have some cases that I think I can make work, I just need to redesign the PCB to fit in them. I'll start searching for solutions this week. Putting projects into a case and having it look clean has always been a weak point of mine. I love a clean sleek look (as do most people), I just lack the ability to pull it off most of the time :lol:

EdwardNY   1 kW

1 kW

Post by EdwardNY » May 20 2013 4:28am

My throttle issue is that I have to lift the throttle like half way before I get power then it seems the rest of my range is in that 50%-100% throttle.

Would this smooth out the throttle response so that I get power in that 0-50% range?

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Rodney64 » May 20 2013 5:02am

Ill take one.

stevetooke   1 mW

1 mW

Post by stevetooke » May 20 2013 6:04am

I'll take 2 thanks!

direland   100 µW

100 µW

Post by direland » May 20 2013 9:44am

i'll take one.

snellemin   10 kW

10 kW

Post by snellemin » May 20 2013 10:03am

Sign me up for another one.
Silent speed Racer

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » May 20 2013 10:15am

Sign me up.
Can you put JST-XH style connectors on?
Hate to be a pain, any pictures on how large the unit will be?
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Post by zombiess » May 20 2013 11:03am

My plan is to supply them in one of two ways.

1. just wires, add your own connectors (this is how I do all my own stuff since I don't use standard connectors for many connections).
2. with normal Lyen style connectors.

I'm looking for a good enclosure and should find one today, then it's just a matter of redesigning the PCB to fit it which will take maybe an hour.

Size right now is 1.3" wide by 1.9" long but that is subject to change, hopefully a little smaller.

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » May 20 2013 2:36pm

I'm interested in one for my 24S bike.
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

Geoff V   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Geoff V » May 20 2013 2:46pm

Add me to the buyers list, for one, if posting to the UK is acceptable.

GeoffV

zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Post by zombiess » May 21 2013 12:10pm

bowlofsalad wrote:I probably barely understand how the cycleanalyst (CA) works, but I am under the impression that to various degrees, it can do what your device can do. Forgive the newbieness of this question, but how does this work differently than the CA?
I have a CAV3 but I am only using it in legacy mode right now like my CA v2.3 that it replaced so I have not played around with the settings. I did read the guide on setting the throttle ramp limits to try and answer your question.

The CA V3 has the ability to control the throttle in many ways. From what I have read, none of the methods are the same as what my interface is doing. My interface only effects the throttle ramp rate, so the CA V3 throttle ramp rate is most likely the closest model to what I am doing.

As I understand it, in the CA v3 you set 2 ramp rates, a fast ramp and a slow ramp. You then set a current threshold where it switches between the two ramp rates. Below this threshold the fast ramp rate is used to allow for quicker throttle response, above the the threshold the slower ramp rate is used, this helps to limit large throttle inputs causing jerkiness.

My interface controls the throttle ramp rates based on two factors. A acceleration setting potentiometer that sets the throttle ramp rate in relation to how quickly you twist the throttle (The faster you twist the throttle, the faster the ramp rate). The second factor is a throttle averaging buffer which primarily controls how much jitter is filtered out of the throttle caused by small movements of it, secondarily has a small effect on the ramp rate, more buffer = slower ramp rate during very small throttle movements. I chose this method over all the others I tried because I found it allowed me to produce a smooth responsive throttle curve without zero sacrifice in maximum acceleration from any speed. I have the ability to quickly snap the throttle from low speed causing my bike to power wheelie so that I can pop the front end up a curb and still have extremely good low speed control.

Either the acceleration or buffer can be used independent of each other. If you want to only filter the throttle input, you may set the acceleration potentiometer fully clockwise (25 turns) so that throttle input = throttle output, but the buffer setting can be set so that small throttle jitter such as riding over bumps does not alter the throttle interface output unless it is intentional. The exact opposite can be achieved as well and any setting in between. Most people find the ideal setting is in between and those settings vary depending on the individual bike.

Both the CA V3 and my interface require end user adjustments to work well.

My device started out primarily as a project for myself but I saw it had a wider applications to others. Within the last week I found out it's even useful for my wife's lower powered ebike which I could ride without issue because I have excellent throttle control from riding my high powered bike which had a throttle of death in high power mode (don't even think of trying to start off in high power mode unless you want to be on your butt kind of power). She is completely new to e bikes. I tried setting the 3 speed switch and limiting the bike to 40% throttle (11mph) and turning the phase amps down to 60A, but she still complained the throttle was too twitchy for her, especially in the middle setting which is 75% throttle and has a top speed of 19mph. After installing and adjusting my interface she has become a lot more comfortable with riding and I was able to adjust the phase amps up to 80A with a 40A battery limit (50V setup) and she had no problems and now rides around in the middle 75% setting most of the time. I do have the interface set to ramp slowly and filter a lot, but the bike still has enough power to climb a 10% grade at 7mph in the 40% throttle setting with no pedal assist with her riding. I bring up her bike as an example because while it's not particularly high power, it's very light weight with her on it and has a 9c 2806 in a 20" tire. If she was able to ride a 26" tall tire bike (she can't as she is only 5'1 tall in shoes) throttle control would be much less of an issue.

zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Post by zombiess » May 21 2013 11:47pm

Fyi just did a redesign of the PCB for a specific enclosure and will be placing a pcb order this week. I should have around 30 units for sale in about 3 weeks. I will contact those who posted in here and also start a for sale thread.

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » May 22 2013 2:03pm

Nice!
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

justforfun   100 µW

100 µW

Post by justforfun » May 22 2013 2:54pm

Put me down for one please if posting to UK is OK!

zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Post by zombiess » May 22 2013 5:31pm

Worldwide shipping is not a problem, it's just going to cost a few $ extra for the postage.

zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Post by zombiess » May 22 2013 11:56pm

I have initially ordered 9 PCBs to verify they fit the cases I chose without much modification required. All parts are now ordered to do a decent size batch of these which will follow as soon as I verify the first few fit without major modifications. After that there will be a full production run of many units.

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » May 27 2013 10:15am

First of all Happy Memorial Day! :D

Second: anything new and exciting for the throttle tamer? I would really like to get 24Srunning on my bike without falling on my a$$. Hate to sound impatient but this is such a cool product to have :wink: .
Thanks for everything man, enjoy the day 8)
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

zombiess   100 MW

100 MW

Post by zombiess » May 27 2013 12:48pm

I have 3 demo boards left I can assemble. No cases. $25 each + post. Add your own connectors. Still waiting on the first 9 pcbs which fit the cases and on my connectors. Will be 1 to 2 weeks for connectors it looks like. Delays that are not my fault. I am ready to build. Pcbs and parts will be here this or next week. Once I check these first 9 pcbs I will order another 60 and cases. There will be no short supply of them just going to take a few weeks.

In other news I have been riding my bike a lot with the interface. I have completely adjusted to the way the throttle works and now found I can reduce the acceleration setting 1 full turn slower for even better control. There is a mental component to this as we are so use to the Ebike throttles sucking so bad they train our brains to expect a certain response. When I had tried this setting not long after installing it, the initial response felt laggy to me. Now it feels perfect with no lag at all. Its a muscle memory thing. I am going to add this to the documentation. For anyone worried about lag... don't as I have enough adjustment in the interface to make it just like stock to feeling like thick molasses.

Tyro65   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Tyro65 » May 31 2013 10:36pm

I would definitely buy one. Put me on the list.