[SOLD] Sprocket Adapter for Converted Hubmotors

Place for dealers to post items for sale.

[SOLD] Sprocket Adapter for Converted Hubmotors

Postby crossbreak » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:03 am

This Adapter fits converted Bafang SWXH, SWXU, SWXB, BPM and BPM2 rear motors. Also fits the Goldenmotor MBG. I'm quite sure now the adapter will fit the front motors like the QBPM as well, but did not test this myself [Edit: Redesigned the spacer and butt plate, now it fits all front hubmotors, tested that with a front SWXB motor with short axle/shaft].

Converted motor means, the axle is used as a rotating shaft, the hub is used as stationary a housing and mounted as a middrive viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45245

The adapter is used to build a "dual freewheel jackshaft drive", with one chain from pedals to a freewheel on the motor shaft and one from motor to the wheel. This has several advantages which are stated there: http://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/E ... eel_Config
In difference to the drive shown in the Wiki, the Adapter allows to have both chains on the right side:

There are three versions, one for cheap but good quality Internal Geared Hub Sprockets, ranging form 16T to 23T: IGH Version

one for 4 bolt 64mm BCD chainring sprockets, ranging from 22T to 28T: CR Version
discontinued.png
discontinued.png (72.77 KiB) Viewed 5554 times

Both version use the smaller M30x1 threads for 13T-15T BMX freewheels. I suggest using a 13T 3/32" ACS freewheel:
Sprocket Adapter premade_sm.jpg
Sprocket Adapter premade_sm.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 5837 times

This is what it may look like in the end, one 13T freewheel for the pedals, one 20T sprocket for the chain to the wheel
sprocket_adapter.jpg
sprocket_adapter.jpg (71.78 KiB) Viewed 5815 times

Third version is for common freewheel crank drives, the FWC version. I do not recomment freewheel cranks, since the normal freewheels and pedal shafts are over-stressed if some power is pushed through. For low power setups they are feasible. The FWC Version looks the same as the others, it just comes without additional adapter for a second sprocket.
Freewheel cranks Version

Prices:

$45 for the 16T-23T IGH version, fits 6 - 9 speed chains when used with a shimano IGH sprocket as output
$60 for the 22T-28T 4-holes CR version [out of stock, wont restock]
$35 for the FWC version.

Shipping is $8 to the US.

Included parts:
1x Freewheel Adapter M30x1 with 6 M5 threads (high strength alloy)
1x special Nut, M12x1.25, only 6mm thick (stainless steel)
6x Torx screw M5x20 (stainless steel)
1x Spacer (alloy)
1x IGH (stainless steel) or 4-hole sprocket adapter (high strength alloy)
1x countersunk butt plate (alloy)

Not included:
A converted Hubmotor with 12mm axle, converted after this this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45245#p659472
A freewheel , for example the 13T 3/32" ACS, I can supply for $30 extra (they are quite expensive here, you better buy in a local store if you are in the US)
A sprocket, for example the 20T Nexus IGH or 22T 4-hole chainwheel shown in the pics I'll upload in a few days, I can supply for $10 extra (IGH sprocket) or $15 for a 4-hole chainwheel sprocket

Be aware that this Adapter fits ONLY the Bafang Motors , since they are made for 12mm axles. If you need a 14mm version for MAC/BMC motors, just ask

Update 8/12/13 one sold, 4 left, shopper from Kansas, USA
Update 8/12/13 two sold, 3 left, shopper from Maryland, USA
Update 8/20/13 three sold, 2 left, shopper from Sweden
Update 8/20/13 five sold, none left, shopper from Russia

Edit: I have ´5 more in stock now!!
Last edited by crossbreak on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 22 times in total. View post history.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Re: Sprocket Adapter for Converted Hubmotors

Postby Arbol » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:20 am

I subscribe myself to this post.

Questions:

- Is the installation involved? Or there is a step-by-step guide on how to proceed?
- Is it possible to use a 250W motor which is legal in Europe to do the installation?
Arbol
100 W
100 W

Postby cal3thousand » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Can I get a 14mm for the MAC? :mrgreen:
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.
cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Postby crossbreak » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:03 pm

@Arbnol: You can make any setup streetlegal using CycleAnalyst-V3 or the Forumscontroller

@cal: MAC version will be made after final testing of the 12mm version is done.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby cal3thousand » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:11 pm

crossbreak wrote:@Arbnol: You can make any setup streetlegal using CycleAnalyst-V3 or the Forumscontroller

@cal: MAC version will be made after final testing of the 12mm version is done.

Great! I'm still working on the conversion and my frame is not here yet, so I have time. It might work out just perfect :wink:
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.
cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Postby crossbreak » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:04 pm

If it's urgent i could make you a prototype in almost no time ;)
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby crossbreak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:06 am

sorry..shipping delay, still waiting for parts. Next week i'll start at least with the IGH sprocket version. 4-bolt version has to wait a few days more.

I can also supply a cheaper version for Freewheel crank drives that fits the Bafang shafts. It is $35 plus shipping. MAC version will be $45, but will be shipped not before end of September.
Last edited by crossbreak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total. View post history.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby crossbreak » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:45 pm

sorry to tell you that I wont the produce the 4-bolt version anymore. Just a lot too expensive to produce. Not possible to break even at such small lots.

Good news is, I will definitely make MAC adapters that also fit the IGH sprockets and the 13T-15T freewheels. I have redesigned the adapter, it uses only 4 M5 screws now, but will fit a 14mm shaft. All parts will stay the same, only the 30mm x1 threaded part will is slightly modified, so all parts of the Bafang adapter will also fit the MAC adapter. No one ever asked for a BSA threaded version, so I wont produce that one and go for this inter-changeable MAC version instead. There will also be a MAC FWC version.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby deVries » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:50 pm

crossbreak wrote:sorry to tell you that I wont the produce the 4-bolt version anymore. Just a lot too expensive to produce. Not possible to break even at such small lots.

Good news is, I will definitely make MAC adapters that also fit the IGH sprockets and the 13T-15T freewheels. I have redesigned the adapter, it uses only 4 M5 screws now, but will fit a 14mm shaft. All parts will stay the same, only the 30mm x1 threaded part will is slightly modified, so all parts of the Bafang adapter will also fit the MAC adapter. No one ever asked for a BSA threaded version, so I wont produce that one and go for this inter-changeable MAC version instead. There will also be a MAC FWC version.

Thank you for offering these MAC adapters. I'll study this a bit more and probably order some. :D
deVries
1 MW
1 MW

Postby crossbreak » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:24 pm

your welcome :) be aware that they wont be shipped before end of september!

AS said, the design is almost the same. Just a 14mm shaft instead of 12mm. Two of the 6 screws can not be used. Four are still more than enough. Of course prove this before I begin to stock them. You can still use all six screws if you own a file an can get rid of a tiny bit of screw head, it is less than 1mm hangover. ATM i have only a converted SWXB to test them, but i soon will have a converted BPM2 with a lot more torque. If all goes fine, I could start thinking about even selling complete converted BPM and SWXH inlucding a mount like the GNG. But that's future music.

Bafang+Goldenmotor IGH version (for comparison), note that some dimensions have changed during my testing process. The spacer got thicker (1.5mm now), also the IGH sprocket adapter is 3mm stainless steel now. Still it doesn't wooble, since the 2mm wide IGH sprockets got coined to 3mm. With the redesigned 3mm thick IGH adapter disc, it now is bullet proof... I am certain. BPM2 test will proove this ;)

and MAC version
Attachments
sprocket_adapter_MAC.png
sprocket_adapter_MAC.png (72.21 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
Last edited by crossbreak on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby crossbreak » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:28 pm

Arbol wrote:Questions:
- Is the installation involved? Or there is a step-by-step guide on how to proceed?

I will make a video, to show how to assemble and install.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby crossbreak » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 pm

first units are ready to ship, but I would like to make some minor changes. Problem is, the adapter is to thick to perfectly fit a short the front motor shaft, the nut is not properly engaged as you can see in the picture.

Spacer plates are 3mm thick alloy, will change this for 1.5mm stainless steel. Backplates are of 2.5mm alloy, I will change it for 2mm stainless steel. So there is a total of 2mm decrease in length, the nut will be properly engaged after these changes. Note that a 1.5mm washer is needed below the adapter, to keep space between motor hub/housing, didn't take this into account in the first place.

Tomorrow', i'm at Eurobike and cannot do much, will finally ship the first 3 adapters on friday, sorry for the delay.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Re: [Out of Stock] Sprocket Adapter for Converted Hubmotors

Postby cal3thousand » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:28 am

Will you be making MAC adapters in this next batch? :D

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Postby crossbreak » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm

I will make a prototype that so u can test it ;)
Last edited by crossbreak on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby cal3thousand » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:34 pm

crossbreak wrote:I will make a prototype that so u can test it ;)

sounds great

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Postby arcticfly » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:10 am

How much power can reliable you put trough these you think?
arcticfly
100 W
100 W

Postby crossbreak » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

150kW if you spin it at 10.000rpm is no problem :D it is not power that is limited, it is torque.

It is designed for Bafang motors, which cannot output much more than 100Nm. A converted BPM should output around 2000Watts if converted right, electrical power is around 2500Watt in that case,

It will last about 150Nm peak torque. You need a screwdriver to take it off if you use more than 90Nm, since the shaft eats somewhat into the adapter. This does not affect function. A suitable speed is 275rpm, so if you push in the full 150Nm that will be 4300Watts.
Last edited by crossbreak on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby arcticfly » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 am

As I am totally green when it comes to this ebike stuff.... 2000W on this system compared to 2000W on a GNG setup, will it be the same torque? will I need to change gears more or less compared to a GNG at the same rating? The Chain GNG is the alternative I am looking at. Is the Bafang more quiet?
arcticfly
100 W
100 W

Postby crossbreak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:53 am

the difference of this system is the overdrive feature. You can use larger sprockets on the wheel so max torque is increased. For further info reread the first post:

The adapter is used to build a "dual freewheel jackshaft drive", with one chain from pedals to a freewheel on the motor shaft and one from motor to the wheel. This has several advantages which are stated there: http://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/E ... eel_Config

A Hammerschmidt overdrive cranks have the same effect when used in a middrive, but they are heavy and expensive
Last edited by crossbreak on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby cal3thousand » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Do you need a deposit for the prototype MAC motor? I'm almost ready to be able to work on it.

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Postby crossbreak » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:13 am

need my new lathe and mill first, get them on sunday, then I think I can make your prototype adapter. Have a lack of good tools ATM.

Still I have to work out the dual-sprocket-front-derailleur adapter, Devil is in the detail, chain-line has to fit perfectly to make the chain last long. I will post a specification for standard 50mm chainline MTB frames to make fitting the the adapter and motor mount easier. This adapter will be shipped with 16T and 22T sprockets. This has the same gear spread as a commonly used 44T/32T MTB cluster, so it will fit the needs of most drivers. The crank to jackshaft gear ratio is the only thing that must be adjusted to the specific requirements of motor/bike/driver.

Possible crank-to jackshaft ratios range from

2.13:1 (32T cranks /15T freewheel), virtual chainwheel sizes are 34T and 47T
to
3.69:1 (48T cranks /13T freewheel), virtual chainwheel sizes are 59.T and 81T
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby izeman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 pm

hi crossbreak

are you gonna supply those for MAC anytime in the future? IGH is nice.

thanks
izeman
10 GW
10 GW

Postby crossbreak » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:01 pm

I dont think so... there is only very little demand. I can special machine one bafang one for you if you want. Just make the dia a lttle larger... 14mm instead of 12mm. You will be able to use only 4 srews but that is more than enough. Even one screw alone is capable of handling the torque ;)

the shaft dimensions of the MAC are the same as of the HS3540? I ask since i know you own both ;)
Last edited by crossbreak on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
crossbreak
100 MW
100 MW

Postby izeman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 am

ah ok. thought that as well. mass production is not happening :)
this is for the MAC definately. no way of installing a HS3540 as middrive (now).
great that you can make one for me. i'll email you about details. thanks
izeman
10 GW
10 GW

Next

Return to Items for Sale - New