MXUS 45mm 3000W Motor Winding & Rim Options

Which Winding & Wheel (Rim) Size do you Prefer?

• I will mainly use this motor for Off-Road riding, and would prefer a larger wheel/tire & slower spee

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I will mainly use this motor for street riding, and would prefer a smaller wheel/tire and higher spe

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • I want the fastest motor, and I want to build the wheel/rim myself

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I wand the highest torque motor and want to build the wheel/rim myself.

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

teslanv

1 MW
I am looking to get a production run of MXUS 3000W 45mm DD Hub Motors made, with Lacing in Downhill Bicycle Rims for the USA market.
I would like to know how you plan to use the motor/rim.

got a taste of the poison and now you're ready to dive back in? :p

That's awesome. The more hubmotor dealers (and variety of hubs) we can get in the USA, the better. The options now are limited to only a few big players, keeping the prices high and selection low. Best of luck to you!

mlt34 said:
got a taste of the poison and now you're ready to dive back in? :p

That's awesome. The more hubmotor dealers (and variety of hubs) we can get in the USA, the better. The options now are limited to only a few big players, keeping the prices high and selection low. Best of luck to you!

I have big plans in store. 8)

MXUS motors, Farfle swing arms and/or whole bike frames, XieChang (Infineon) & Sine-wave controllers all at competitive prices. Instructional Videos and good documentation. All part of the master plan.

teslanv said:
I am looking to get a production run of MXUS 3000W 45mm DD Hub Motors made, with Lacing in Downhill Bicycle Rims for the USA market.
I would like to know how you plan to use the motor/rim.

Well good luck with it. I hope that you will distinguish yourself from the others by venturing off the beaten path a bit.

If my memory serves me, it seems that some in the past -(Methods?)-tried importing and recounted stories of having to open every box and check not only the motors, but wheels and spokes as well. And watching the pile of rejects grow.

I hope you can source quality wheels/spokes and not the typical cheap stuff. Be sure to give them all a spoke wrench that fits...

You yourself have chosen to run a 17" moped wheel on your MXUS build. Now seeing how a majority of folks are interested in smaller wheels/higher speeds for the street, what wheel sizes are you going to offer? Any prebuilt in a moped wheel?

Kent said:
Now seeing how a majority of folks are interested in smaller wheels/higher speeds for the street, what wheel sizes are you going to offer? Any prebuilt in a moped wheel?

It is a challenge to try and meet the various demands of individual buyers. I plan to offer unique solutions, so it won't be 1000W motors in 26" Rims. I can't do that any cheaper than yescomusa or ebay anyhow.

16X4T wind in a 17" Moped Rim WILL be on menu, although perhaps not at first. It will take some vetting to get that right.

teslanv said:
Add to the Survey:

Regarding Moped Rims:

Would you rather have 7075 Aluminum or 6061-T6 Aluminum if it mean a cost increase of ~$30 per rim for the 7075 Alloy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6061_aluminium_alloy

I am happy that you are researching this.

Well one of the pluses with a moped wheel of course is the durability and long term life. It seems to me that if I were about to drop $500+ on a new build, I would spend the extra for the better grade as long as there was verification that we were indeed getting 7075.

Spoke quality?

Stevil_Knevil said:
+1 for higher wind hub motors in 17" moto rims.

Ride the myth :wink:

Haha, I went the myth route myself! Who'd have known? I loved the way my 4065 in a 26" rim.....off road and almost never got hot at 65 amps and 24s! Stupid axle!!!

6T with a 17" rim because I couldnt get an 18"

I'll either run it at 23s on a Max-E or 30s if some other awesome sin wave comes out before spring.

Tom

teslanv said:
Add to the Survey:

Regarding Moped Rims:

Would you rather have 7075 Aluminum or 6061-T6 Aluminum if it mean a cost increase of ~$30 per rim for the 7075 Alloy?

Great question!

A T6 moto wheel that is ~3/16" thick should have somewhere in the neighborhood of +/- 37,000 PSI yield strength, right? Seems to me that T6 would be adequate for all but the most demanding Mil-spec applications.

If colors are an option, I would vote for bare aluminum because I appreciate the reflective/safety properties of polished aly 8)

Rust never sleeps.

litespeed said:
Stevil_Knevil said:
+1 for higher wind hub motors in 17" moto rims.

Ride the myth :wink:

Haha, I went the myth route myself! Who'd have known? I loved the way my 4065 in a 26" rim.....off road and almost never got hot at 65 amps and 24s! Stupid axle!!!

6T with a 17" rim because I couldnt get an 18"

I'll either run it at 23s on a Max-E or 30s if some other awesome sin wave comes out before spring.

Tom

Hehe, Nice!

I would start with ~20s, wail it on a hill, monitor heat on everything, then sneek up on 30s after confirming thermal equilibrium.

There is a t h i n line between clever and stupid.

Have Fun! -Steve

teslanv said:
Black or Silver.

To keep costs down, we need to pick one color, at least to start.

You mean silver paint, not chrome?

Black.

What are your plans re spokes?

I am a little confused by the selection, but please enlighten me if I am missing something here.

I will mainly use this motor for Off-Road riding, and would prefer a larger wheel/tire & slower speeds
"I understand a larger wheel will make for a more comfortable ride when off road riding, but this would also be the faster wheel right?"

I will mainly use this motor for street riding, and would prefer a smaller wheel/tire and higher speeds "
" Again, here smaller wheel I would think lower speed higher torque?"

I am not trying to be a pain in the ass here, just trying to understand the thinking. I drive mainly on trails and roads, but I want the most speed possible since i have a very long commute, which is why I had gone with a 26" rim and tire combo before. At 48V I was able to get up to 37 to 38 mph, but I did also blow the motor, because of too much heat buildup. So I am hoping for a motor and rim combo that can do this for almost an hour straight without overheating. Currently have an axle and cooling kit on order from Linukas. Not sure how this will work out, but I will keep you updated. This could be something you could offer as an alternative for those who want to dump serious power into their setups.

Ed

I can swap out the stators in the 17" & 19" rims to suit whatever size rim you want with either wind motor. Faster speed with 19" rim or higher torque with 17" rim.
However, I think most will discover that with a smaller rim & tire, the speed loss is marginal vs the torque and efficiency gained. :)

Kent said:
teslanv said:
Black or Silver.

To keep costs down, we need to pick one color, at least to start.

You mean silver paint, not chrome?

Black.

What are your plans re spokes?

Silver painted motor & clear anodized aluminum or
Black painted motor & black anodized aluminum.

Spokes are by MXUS, in 10g size, and I believe they are stainless.

Got a bunch of sample Moped rims this week. I am quite optimistic, as they are insanely stout. 7000 series aluminum, with a very nice dark black anodized finish.

Next step is to send the favorite to MXUS and have them lace a V2 45mm Motor in it.

There will not be a better motor in a better rim for the price I can offer these bad boys. :D

teslanv said:
MXUS motors, Farfle swing arms and/or whole bike frames, XieChang (Infineon) & Sine-wave controllers all at competitive prices. Instructional Videos and good documentation. All part of the master plan.
So I heard this rumour that you might be selling Infineon 18 fet controllers optimized for the MXUS 3000? What's the price & how to order? :?: Thanks. :mrgreen:

What i would want is a street build with a 26 inch rim and a higher speed per volt ( 20-25mph at 36v ), but you don't have an option for that..

I will be testing out a 21X3T Wind V2 Motor for the test rig.

If I like it, I may do the 3T wind as the standard "Fast" motor, in both Laced 17" Moped Rims and bare hub motors.

If you want to special order neptronix, I can request whatever Winding you want in a 26" Power Circle P35D DH Rim.

arkmundi said:
teslanv said:
So I heard this rumour that you might be selling Infineon 18 fet controllers optimized for the MXUS 3000? What's the price & how to order? :?: Thanks. :mrgreen:
18x4110 infineon controllers with 10AWG battery & phase wires & 6mm hxt connectors for $200. Shipped. Also considering the Sabvoton sino controllers with field weakening, but those will be more than double the cost. Maybe $450 shipped.

Back