Compact Field Oriented Controller, ASI + Grin, limited run

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Compact Field Oriented Controller, ASI + Grin, limited run

Post by amberwolf » Dec 10 2019 10:19pm

Daveades wrote:
Dec 10 2019 6:31pm
I have an Ezee rear hub,
<snip>
In October the my original motor was replaced with a new Ezee
<snip>
What I am trying to do is get the motor to spin freely when the assist cuts out at about 50 kmh on the downhill sprints. I don't need the motor to sustain the speed but I need it to not the drag that is holding me back.
The Ezee is a geared hub with an internal freewheeling clutch, so when the motor is not being powered, it does not drag the wheel.

If it *is* dragging the wheel anyway, then the clutch is siezed, and would need to be serviced or replaced.

Flip the bike upside down, wheel off ground, and hand-spin the tire in the direction of normal travel. It should freely spin, not quite as freely as a regular bike wheel, but close.

Now hand-spin the tire the other way, backwards. It should have a fair bit of drag, because now it's spinning the motor inside, thru the clutch and the planetary gears.

If those are not the behaviors you see, something is wrong inside the motor.

I can't help with the Field Weakening stuff; don't know about it.

THe freewheeling option in the PR should be ablet to feed just enough current to negate the drag of whatever motor you use, but you don't need it with a motor like the Ezee that is already freewheeling internally.

Daveades   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Daveades » Dec 12 2019 3:26pm

Thanks, I know this is a geared hub with a clutch. This isn't a mechanical issue.

The issue is its RPM maxes out at 49ish kmh or it did. Putting the Amax from 23A to 30A helped. I lowered it 23A to help with my voltage sag issue.

Now I take the Satiator to work and charge at work so my resting voltage stays above 50v during the ride. By about 20 km I'm pulling it down to 48v 49v from 58.6v at about 44 kmh and can't get it to spin faster. I will need a higher voltage battery.

I ran it today with 33.3 max amps in the PR setting and 3A field weakening and 4x assist. At 54ish volts it spun up to 52 kmh on the flats and 55 kmh going down the IMB. Once it drops below 53v while riding the hub won't let me spin it up past 50 kmh. I'll try 6A field weakening tomorrow.

Ultimately I'm likely looking at a different motor and battery but still has to be able to climb. I did go up the IWMB yesterday at 45 kmh after charging at work. :mrgreen:

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

First Android Release

Post by justin_le » Dec 16 2019 3:00pm

justin_le wrote:
Aug 14 2019 12:13pm
and we're working hard to have an Android port sorted not long after that.
And so we have it! This is our first public release of a phone app and it's currently available on the Google Play store here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... twaresuite
PRSuite.jpg
PRSuite.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
This works with our standard USB->TTL cables as long as you a USB On-The-Go adapter cable which goes from USB A to the mini or USB C standard. These are readily available on amazon and elsewhere:
https://www.amazon.com/Sanoxy-Micro-Rig ... 11&sr=8-33
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-CableCre ... 190&sr=8-9
PR Android Demo.jpg
PR Android Demo.jpg (168.64 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Our plan for later in 2020 is to support a bluetooth connection with the app and have a tiny TRRS terminated bluetooth adapter that would just plug into the communication port of the Baserunner or Phaserunner and then there will be a wireless option. But at least we can get a head start since most people already have the USB cable and now can do the tunings and settings with a phone instead of rolling the bike to a computer.
PR App Screen.jpg
PR App Screen.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
We've got most of the functionality of the desktop app available with the exception that it doesn't have the default profile loading, and the dashboard view doesn't have a graphing/logging mode yet. Those are both being worked on for subsequent updates . The key things like setting parameters, running autotune etc. are present and we're interested to hear how this works out for people and if they find the interface intuitive enough. So let us know! And report any bugs too.
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

1N4001   100 W

100 W

Post by 1N4001 » Dec 17 2019 3:00am

This is awesome, Justin! Great for making adjustments on the go, when you don't happen to have your laptop with you :)

I do wonder, if you already have OTG and you're planning Bluetooth, wouldn't it be possible to use a smartphone app not only for configuration, but also as a dashboard? This way you could have simple throttle-only setups without a CA3, or in addition to a CA3. Many people have their smartphones attached to their bikes already, so this would make a great addition.

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Dec 18 2019 4:02pm

1N4001 wrote:
Dec 17 2019 3:00am
I do wonder, if you already have OTG and you're planning Bluetooth, wouldn't it be possible to use a smartphone app not only for configuration, but also as a dashboard?
Yeah, not just possible but also part of the plan :-) However for successful development it's best to focus on one thing at a time. First order of action is to get the setup and tuning utility fully functional since that's the most critical bit for usability, and then you can look forward to more and more features as time goes on.
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

kevinscargobike   1 W

1 W

Post by kevinscargobike » Dec 18 2019 4:55pm

justin_le wrote:
Dec 18 2019 4:02pm
Yeah, not just possible but also part of the plan :-)
Is an iPhone app part of the long term plan?

davideserin   1 W

1 W

Post by davideserin » Dec 27 2019 4:06am

kevinscargobike wrote:
Dec 18 2019 4:55pm
justin_le wrote:
Dec 18 2019 4:02pm
Yeah, not just possible but also part of the plan :-)
Is an iPhone app part of the long term plan?
This would rock my world :)

tomjasz   10 GW

10 GW

Post by tomjasz » Dec 28 2019 2:42pm

davideserin wrote:
Dec 27 2019 4:06am

This would rock my world :)
YES!!!! and Grinspector in osX!
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

hias9   100 W

100 W

Post by hias9 » Jan 07 2020 10:11pm

I have compared the noise of a Bafang G310 powered by an ASI BAC500 against a sinewave KT controller.

The result was that both subjective and measured noise level was clearly lower with the KT controller.
Measured (with an iPad, so don‘t take the values too serious) from about 70cm away at 200rpm: ASI 63dB, KT 56dB.

The reason is most likely that the ASI uses a PWM frequency of 13kHz which causes a loud (and not comfortable) noise. The 16kHz PWM frequency of the KT causes only a barely hearable sound. (16kHz is less loud for human ear and also less dB)

Besides of this point, I would definitely prefer the ASI controller.

Are there any compact FOC controllers available which allow a higher PWM frequency?
I tried to increase PWM frequency on the ASI, but since that I cannot connect to it any more (LED flashing 4 times)

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Jan 21 2020 9:01am

The app looks awesome!

I was thinking, as an interim solution would it be possible to get the raw BT-> UART feed through a display with an integrated Bluetooth radio, like the eggrider?

petrun   1 mW

1 mW

Post by petrun » Jan 28 2020 6:08am

Hi, anyone use the phaserunner with a bafang fat motor , G060? I have the 750w rear motor, I did the autotune but when I apply throttle the motor its juddering , feels like the power it's pulsating to the motor. I have the cycle analyst v3 for a few years and just updated to last version now, maybe some settings are affecting the throttle behaviour?
Justin suggest to try the settings for GMAC except KV and poles me, I will try that too when I get home