Kilowatt Bag Holds Over 2 KWh of LiPo or 18650's $80

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Kilowatt Bag Holds Over 2 KWh of LiPo or 18650's $80

Post by teslanv » Jan 24 2015 3:35pm

PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA

Price: $80 + Shipping. Continental USA is flat rate $10. Email me for a quote for anywhere else in the world.

Here is a Video of the latest batch:

Written Description:

The Kilowatt Bag is NOT steathy, stylish or ergonomic. Its sole design considerations are to mount as easily as possible and to hold a LOT of LiPo batteries. It is Utility, pure and simple.

The design is a "Top Tube Saddle Bag" that sits in front of the rider, mid-frame for good weight distribution.

The bag is made from 1000 denier Cordura on the exterior and Genuine Nomex Fire-resistant fabric on the interior. The compartments are lined with 3/8" thick closed cell foam to provide some protection to the batteries. However in the event of a crash, there is potential for battery damage unless the user provides additional rigid structure to the batteries. 1/8" Masonite may be a good solution for those interested in additional cell protection, and should not add significantly to the weight or volume.

If you already have a Falcon EV triangle frame bag or EM3EV triangle Frame bag, or other similar triangle frame bag, the Kilowatt Bag can strap over and around the Triangle Frame Bag.

The bag has large compartments on either side. The interior clear dimensions of each compartment measure approximately 3" wide x 8 7/8" Long x 7 1/2" Tall. This space was optimized to fit a wide range of common HobbyKing LiPo (Multistar) batteries, as well as an array of up to 11 x 11 18650 cells per size, for up to 242 Cells total.

The Kilowatt Bag hangs low and may collide with your front wheel, depending on the size and geometry of your bicycle. There is some adjustment on the front strap to allow rear movement of the bag towrads the bicycle seat. Users should mock up the bag dimensions on their bike frame prior to purchasing.
The bag is fairly wide and may rub the riders legs when pedaling. The purpose of this bag is to allow for ample battery capacity so that riders will not need to pedal.
While the bag does have top flaps, to keep rain out, it is not completely sealed against weather, so some water intrusion is possible when exposed to prolonged or heavy rain. Wire management & routing (by others) may also contribute to water intrusion. It is recommended that users remove the batteries and air-dry the bag after a wet ride.

This bag is currently crafted locally in Seattle, Washington using quality materials, by a professional seamstress.
Last edited by teslanv on Jan 11 2017 4:18pm, edited 7 times in total.
DD Hubs, Batteries, Controllers & Custom Ebikes.
http://westcoastelectrics.com
West Coast Electric Cycles
Bellevue, WA
USA

arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW

Re: Kilowatt Bag - Holds Over 2 KWh of LiPo $80 Shipped.

Post by arkmundi » Jan 24 2015 3:48pm

Curious whether you'll be offering similar as a rear rack type bag? Difference being is that the mid-flap is wider to accommodate the rack.

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Jan 24 2015 3:56pm

arkmundi wrote:Curious whether you'll be offering similar as a rear rack type bag? Difference being is that the mid-flap is wider to accommodate the rack.
If there is enough interest, I could make a few different sizes. That could include Rear Rack Versions, as well as smaller Top-Tube versions. Since I am going with 20S LiPo, I may develop a bag sized perfectly for 5 each per side of the 4S-10Ah Multistar Packs.

For the initial production run, I will need to stick to the size listed above.
Bellevue, WA
USA

BikeFanatic   1 kW

1 kW

Post by BikeFanatic » Jan 24 2015 4:10pm

Teslanv,
That is an incredible design, as well as a great contribution to the Ebike community. I like the idea of the triangle bags, I have plenty , but they do not fit most of my bikes. This is similar to the additive frame bag from Germany, I have one and was thinking of getting another, but they are about 160$ delivered from the group buy. You can count me in for Two, and thank you very much for developing and producing this.

arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW

Post by arkmundi » Jan 24 2015 4:13pm

teslanv wrote:
arkmundi wrote:If there is enough interest, I could make a few different sizes. That could include Rear Rack Versions, as well as smaller Top-Tube versions. Since I am going with 20S LiPo, I may develop a bag sized perfectly for 5 each per side of the 4S-10Ah Multistar Packs.

For the initial production run, I will need to stick to the size listed above.
Why not talk it over with your seamstress to see if you can get 2 types of bags? Maybe she'll be willing. In any case, I'll post my exact sizing needs. My MAC/Trek build has a rear pannier style bag for two A123 AMP20 8s bricks. I'm looking to rack four, so as to get 48V 40ah on it, a redesign that you would greatly simply.

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Jan 24 2015 5:01pm

It seems like there may be a more preferable bag size. I need your opinions to make my production decisions.

Tell me what you want, fellas!

Please respond to Poll here for your pack configuration and bag size preference.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =5&t=66394
Bellevue, WA
USA

eleven6   10 W

10 W

Post by eleven6 » Jan 25 2015 5:49pm

Didn't see the option for voting, but I would like to fit 4 5S soft packs on each side with the option to expand to 6 packs on each side.

So this one - 5S-5Ah Turnigy 20C soft packs: 6 each side for a total of 12 packs. 1110 Watt-hours, 15S-20Ah, or 30S-10Ah

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Jan 25 2015 5:58pm

eleven6 wrote:Didn't see the option for voting, but I would like to fit 4 5S soft packs on each side with the option to expand to 6 packs on each side.

So this one - 5S-5Ah Turnigy 20C soft packs: 6 each side for a total of 12 packs. 1110 Watt-hours, 15S-20Ah, or 30S-10Ah
OK. I will note that. That would be the 10"+ bag.
Bellevue, WA
USA

eleven6   10 W

10 W

Post by eleven6 » Jan 26 2015 10:21pm

After giving it some more thought I voted for for the 8" Medium bag, prioritized extra space for knees over future battery expansion. Anyway, the carrying handle and and fire-resistance material is awesome, nice video btw. Question: how's the lateral stability of the pack when loaded with batteries? Does the front and rear straps keep the bag in-close with the frame during turns? Just wondering if you had a chance to test that.

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Jan 27 2015 1:22am

eleven6 wrote:After giving it some more thought I voted for for the 8" Medium bag, prioritized extra space for knees over future battery expansion. Anyway, the carrying handle and and fire-resistance material is awesome, nice video btw. Question: how's the lateral stability of the pack when loaded with batteries? Does the front and rear straps keep the bag in-close with the frame during turns? Just wondering if you had a chance to test that.
Still need to test that.
Bellevue, WA
USA

dbaker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by dbaker » Jan 27 2015 7:26am

Very nice work :mrgreen:

eleven6   10 W

10 W

Post by eleven6 » Feb 01 2015 5:16pm

teslanv,

Couple thoughts I had about the attachment strap that loops around the bike frame headtube:

1. with bag cinched tight/forward against the headtube, rubbing on the finish over time may be a concern with the hard plastic buckle mounted against the frame. What are your thoughts regarding changing from a buckle to a velcro loop that retains adjustment ability?
2. depending upon how tall the bag ends up and how thin some bike frame top tubes are, placing the buckle at the lowest point on the bag might not clear or may interfere with the bike fork again with the bag adjusted forward. It might be a good idea to bring the buckle & loop for the headtube midway up the bag.

Anyway, eager for a finished product here!

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Feb 02 2015 12:32pm

eleven6 wrote:teslanv,

Couple thoughts I had about the attachment strap that loops around the bike frame headtube:

1. with bag cinched tight/forward against the headtube, rubbing on the finish over time may be a concern with the hard plastic buckle mounted against the frame. What are your thoughts regarding changing from a buckle to a velcro loop that retains adjustment ability?
My original design did have Velcro, but at the request of a reviewer, the buckle was preferred over the Velcro, and I concurred. - The buckles will be placed close to the Ends of the bag, so it should not contact the bike frame in most cases. Also, I had intended for the buckles to be on the exterior of the bag, so this should correct this condition altogether. The latest prototype was not made properly. :roll:
2. depending upon how tall the bag ends up and how thin some bike frame top tubes are, placing the buckle at the lowest point on the bag might not clear or may interfere with the bike fork again with the bag adjusted forward. It might be a good idea to bring the buckle & loop for the headtube midway up the bag.
The Straps & Buckles are about 1/3 Up from the bottom of the bag.

Final Bag Size determination:

With respect to the Bag Size, I have decided on the following as the "Standard" Size:

Bag compartment dimensions of 3" wide x 8 7/8" Long x 8" Tall. This will make the bag about 1 1/2" shorter than the original design, while still allowing the following Pack Configurations:

(5+5) 4S - 5AH Hard Case packs (20S Voltage) and 740 Watt-Hours of Energy
(6+6) 4S - 10AH Multistar packs (24S Voltage) and 1776 Watt-Hours of Energy
(4+4) 6S - 10Ah Multistar Packs (24S Voltage) and 1776 Watt-Hours of Energy
(5+5) 4S - 16AH Multistar Packs (20S Voltage) and 2368 Watt-Hours of Energy
(3+3) 6S - 16AH Multistar Packs (18S Voltage) and 2131 Watt-Hours of Energy

The Belts/buckles are about 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the bag.
Bellevue, WA
USA

KalSteve   1 W

1 W

Post by KalSteve » Feb 09 2015 11:42pm

Interested an a 6x6s multistar bag, posted to Australia.

Cheers
Steve

cwah   10 GW

10 GW

Post by cwah » Feb 16 2015 2:16pm

Any way the horizontal space stretch from 55mm to 68mm? I need this space in order to fit 18650 cells properly.

And don't dismiss 18650 cells because it's the future ;)

Thanks
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Feb 16 2015 2:21pm

The Saddle is 3" inches wide, and is designed specifically to fit around a Loaded EM3EV frame Bag. So yes. you can have 68mm between the compartments with ease.
Bellevue, WA
USA

cwah   10 GW

10 GW

Post by cwah » Feb 16 2015 3:07pm

teslanv wrote:
The Straps will be long enough that you can shift the bag towards the seat to avoid collision with the handle bars. However your knees will likely hit the bag when you pedal. It really isn't an ideal bag for someone who wants a PAS type of system. It's more of a "Ride it like an Electric Motorcycle" kind of bag. You should be able to cinch the straps down tight enough to keep it pretty stable on the bike.
I'm answering here so I don't pollute his thread.

Have you considered having a slightly longer bag but not as tall so it can go just about the fork? That way it wouldn't touch the fork when turning and at the same time it makes it possible to pedal
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Feb 16 2015 3:12pm

Yeah, we have gone through a few samples. The size we now have seems best suited to the widest variety of needs and wants. But always looking for feedback as well. If there is enough demand for a certain size or shape, we will certainly look into it.
Bellevue, WA
USA

liamcaff   1 kW

1 kW

Post by liamcaff » Feb 16 2015 5:53pm

Love the bag :)

Have a question/observation too. If you have 20s2p made up from 5 x 4s Hardcase HK LIPOs per side, how does the bag accommodate the wires connecting the 2 sets of 5 batteries together?

Looking at the bag it seems (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that each compartment is completely self contained. So the harness creating the combined storage of all the batteries will have to run out of one flap (near the velcro) and around to the other side. As I'm writing this I'm guessing this isn't an issue as the wires just run under the crossbar of the bike.... So I guess I'm just thinking out loud but wondering if anyone else has thought about this? Probably one of those things where there is no issue... you just run the cables...

Looking forward to ordering one of these for my foldup eDahon.

L

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Feb 16 2015 5:58pm

liamcaff wrote:Love the bag :)

Have a question/observation too. If you have 20s2p made up from 5 x 4s Hardcase HK LIPOs per side, how does the bag accommodate the wires connecting the 2 sets of 5 batteries together?

Looking at the bag it seems (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that each compartment is completely self contained. So the harness creating the combined storage of all the batteries will have to run out of one flap (near the velcro) and around to the other side. As I'm writing this I'm guessing this isn't an issue as the wires just run under the crossbar of the bike.... So I guess I'm just thinking out loud but wondering if anyone else has thought about this? Probably one of those things where there is no issue... you just run the cables...

Looking forward to ordering one of these for my foldup eDahon.

L
Each side is a 20S-5Ah half. The two halves parallel together for a unified 20S-10Ah battery. And yes, the wiring just routes around. You can kinda see the wiring on the photos of the bike.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 8#p1007490
Bellevue, WA
USA

liamcaff   1 kW

1 kW

Post by liamcaff » Feb 16 2015 8:15pm

See it clear as day now :)

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Feb 20 2015 12:54am

Just realized the new bag size will handle 18650 cells quite nicely.

You can configure a massive pack on each side in 11P11S or 13S9P configurations for 121 or 117 cells per side. That is up to 242 cells in total.

With Samsung 25R cells (3C Continuous) , that would give you up to 2.24 KWh, 22S11P, 81.4V Nominal x 27.5 Amp-Hours, 82.5 Amps continuous

With Panasonic NCR18650B cells (1C Continuous), 2.94KWh, 13S18P, 48.1V Nominal x 61.2 Amp-Hours, 61.2 Amps Continuous.
Last edited by teslanv on Feb 20 2015 10:45am, edited 2 times in total.
Bellevue, WA
USA

ridethelightning   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ridethelightning » Feb 20 2015 7:58am

this is really cool

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Feb 20 2015 10:07am

The Kilowatt bag will also hold one of these in each compartment (2 Total), from EM3EV:

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route= ... uct_id=128
Bellevue, WA
USA

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Feb 20 2015 11:37am

Nice work! Thanks for offering this well thought-out product. It definitely meets a need that we have
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.