LUNA CYCLE FAT CARGO BIKES FOR SALE

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Green Machine
1 MW
1 MW

LUNA CYCLE FAT CARGO BIKES FOR SALE

Post by Green Machine » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:16 pm

airport.jpg
The Luna Cycle fat bike has been 3 years in the making. I thought I was going to sell it as a complete ebike to the public but do not want to deal with the liability and warrranty support issues inherent to selling a high performance bike to an ebike ignorant public. So I am offering it for now as a kit for endless sphere builders :).
beach bike.jpg
Please look at this photoshow for more details on the bike with various motor installations: http://chessmonster.smugmug.com/Other/Luna-Cycles

The kit requires assembly. I estimate it takes 4 hours to assemble it into a rolling bike (not including electrics). We will assemble and pay extra shipping cost for an extra $150 to make rolling bike.

The kit comes complete with all parts to make a rolling bike, including 4 inch wide wheels inner tubes and spider tires ). One wheel comes built….the 2nd you have to build yourself or $100 for us to build it. The only part lacking is the bicycle chain. (. Besides for wheel set, most components are chinese and just decent quality. For a Complete list of parts click here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lsa ... 2D3-ak/pub

This frame was built from the ground up to be an electric bike, either hub drive or mid drive.
astrobikesmall.jpg
Expensive Custom tooling was used to make frame, forks, frame, front rack, rear rack fenders, handlebars and battery box.

As you can see from all the curves the tooling and welding on this bike is not simple or cheap…the rear rack cost me more than the frame did. Not that the rear rack isnt worth it...it was designed strong enough to hold an extra rider riding bitch.
unnamed (3).jpg

All parts are aluminum except for forks which are made from chromoly steel. Here is an example of the intricate welding...you do not see this very often on a bicycle frame ;)
luna cycle front rack.jpg
The drop outs on both the front and rear of the bike are built extra beefy, and were designed to handle hub motors...even beefy ones. Do you have an extra wide hub motor that wont fit in a standard bike frame? It will fit in this frame.

The rear drop outs are 140mm wide...this is to accommodate hub motors of all sizes including standard sizes and also so that you can run IGHs such as an Alfine 8 or even a Rohloff.

For buyers of this bike i will sale a brand new Rohloff kit for $1200., which is still pricey but makes the most amazing bicycle transmission ever a bit more accessible.

The rear drop outs have 2 inches of slide in them to give ample room for chain tensioning for maximum flexibility for mid drive installations.

The bike was custom designed to hold a mid drive between the rear fender and battery box, where there is a beefy plate for mid drive mounting. The fender keeps your motor dry and clean. The seat tub can be used for extra support. This bike has proven to handle a 8000 watt mid drive system.

Motomoto designed 2 mid drives for this kit...you can see them in the photo show: http://chessmonster.smugmug.com/Other/Luna-Cycles

Lightning Rods is in the process of developing a mid drive that should be available soon and it will be fairly affordable. It is a version of his big block kit custom made for this bike:

EDITED:
The status of this frames availabilty is quickly changing. The bike will be available soon as a complete bike. Right now it is available as a frame kit in my webstore here: http://lunacycle.com/bikes/

I might be offering a bare bones version of the frame in the same place.

Parts for the bike can be found here: http://lunacycle.com if you go to the parts section most of the parts are for that bike.

If you are thinking of buying one of these kits please look at the photo show and read the text for more information: http://chessmonster.smugmug.com/Other/Luna-Cycles

All these frame kits are available for immediate shipping. The vapor stop here. :)
Attachments
meandthebike.jpg
lunacyclerack.jpg
(142.47 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Last edited by Green Machine on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Re: LUNA CYCLE FAT BIKES FOR SALE

Post by spinningmagnets » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:23 am

I don't know what I'd rather have, the Lightning Rods big block mid drive, or the em3ev.com 2WD MACs. I'll be building one up to write about it. In the interests of full-disclosure, Eric owns electricbike.com. Also he has been very adamant that his web magazine not have ads, so we can be free to express our honest opinions.

dbaker
100 kW
100 kW

Post by dbaker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:31 am

What are the weights of frame only and complete bike?

NeezyDeezy
100 W
100 W

Post by NeezyDeezy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:39 am

This looks amazing!

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:32 pm

My cousin is in the market for a new bike for cruisin and eventually converting to electric. This is perfect. I am going to recommend that he get this and be jealous if he does. :D
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

visuthdy
1 W
1 W

Post by visuthdy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:58 pm

What is the rear dropout size and bottom bracket size of the frame? Thanks.

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:31 pm

I've seen these bikes in action, they work well. Fat bikes are better than most folks would expect at handling a wide range of terrain, from single track to sand to urban hooning.

I can vouch that Green Machines is an excellent seller and a nice guy.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

Green Machine
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Green Machine » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks LFP, I remember fearing my bike becoming the 2nd death bike when you were maneuvering the astro bike through swarms of people at the makers faire :P

I will check on the weight of the bike later....its around 65 pounds built depending on configuration and battery size. The frame is aluminum and suprisingly light. It looks heavy but only 5 or so pounds heavier than a regular mountain bike. That is great given the long wheelbase and the front and rear racks. I forgot to mention that this thing is basically a fat tired cargo bike with those large racks.

By the way the battery box is large enough to hold 40ah 48v. the inside dimensions are 160mm x 360mm x 100mm . There are holes cut for an on and off rocker switch i sourced at mouser and charge port.

The box is constructed to be thick enough to contain a lithium fire complete with vent holes :) I ride off road and have had my lithium fire while riding so no more wicker basket battery boxes on my bikes. :)

i had to ride my girlfriend home on the rear rack of my fat bike after the fire and her tiny asian ass bent the cheap topeak rack.....so i decided i wanted a rear rack strong enough to hold a rider in an "emergency" . It turns out riding with my gf on back was a lot of fun and i think every fat bike rider should try it.

nicobie
10 MW
10 MW

Post by nicobie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Very nice setup.

Amazingly low prices!

First time I ever saw a fat bike was watching your GF tooling around with one at one of the races (I think the Riverside one).

Hope you do well with selling them.

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701

j3tch1u
10 kW
10 kW

Post by j3tch1u » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:48 pm

hey eric, you should post those photos of us riding on the beach /w your cruiser and that hanebrink /w the big ass cromotor! guys, these bikes are pure fun. they even run well on woodchip paths ;) just remember to deflate your tyres to 50% when riding on dry sand.

Stevil_Knevil
10 kW
10 kW

Post by Stevil_Knevil » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:17 pm

I put together a little review of the Luna Cycle 1-1/2 years ago ->
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =4&t=50036

This is a seriously fun bike, with a unique - almost cartoonish - presence that seems to attract attention everywhere it goes.

If I did not already own one, I would be all over this deal.

Good luck with the sale, Eric!

Green Machine
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Green Machine » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks for all the support guys and thanks for all the fun rides. I literally spent way over 100k on this project....and realize i am better at buying things than I am at building and selling things ;). I am not rich and every extra dollar went into this project for 3 years. I dont regret spending all that money cuz i had some great adventures along the way, built electricbike.com in the process, plus a lot of the money stayed in the ES community.

I owe a lot of thanks to a lot of endless sphere sphere for helping me with this bike through these 3 years.....

Thanks to my x- girl friend Ruby, a literal rocket scientist who worked on the space shuttle main engine....and after nasa went kapooop her next task was doing the autocad work on my bike ;) . This took more time than i ever imagined...and getting a fat bike tolerances turned out to be super tough. She put more time into the project than anyone else cranking out endless 3d drawings and sketches...100 times more time consuming than we ever guessed to make a simple ebike.

At first our idea was ambitious....but the manufacturing cost of a 3d battery box and belt drive was ridiculous....if anyone has any ideas how to machine 3d battery box let me know :)
prototype.jpg
prototype.jpg (190.85 KiB) Viewed 12463 times
Gradually the bike was simplified to something simpler and cheaper to build although i still regret not having a 3d battery box.
luna cycle prototype 2.jpg
luna cycle prototype 2.jpg (196.9 KiB) Viewed 12463 times

Way off topic, but Ruby is kind of the heart and soul to the bike and did kinaa give birth to it....she is a young and cute woman genius who is also a mma fighter....a rare bird in the rocket scientist world:
20110725-DSC03438.jpg

Thanks to one of my best friends Mr Electric (Nick Rothman) who is a skilled builder and engenious micky mouser, and also test bike dummy. We did so many countless beach and mountain rides in our amazing neighborhood . Nick was there for a lot of the first test rides...and on the mid drives that could be a little scary:) We felt like test pilots. and luckily the long wheel base makes this bike very stable even with super high power drives.

nick.jpg

THanks to Brian Hall from Thunderstruck motors for his amazing friendship and consulting and use of his shop, his guys and welding equipment:

brianhall.jpg
Thanks To Matt Recumpence who did a lot of initial consultation on the mid drive in the beginning of the project. I am sorry i never got to meet him but spent hours on phone and we sent big packages back and forth. It turns out i needed a local machinest to make this dream a reality or i felt it was never going to happen. Plus i thought this bike deserved a custom built drive made just for this bike. Some of Matts innovatve astro ideas went into the mid drive motomoto eventually designed and built:
astro-2.jpg
astro-2.jpg (129.14 KiB) Viewed 12466 times
Thanks to RonZ for his hours of consulting, phone advice, and the desing of t the double free wheel and various electronic designs including his ingenius on and off switch that doesnt drain the battery. He loved the luna cycle and ended up getting one ot slap his own mid drive on. This bike is well suited for any mid drive, and the double free wheel i have for sale can be fitted to any mid drive.
ronz.jpg

THanks to Stevenkeneval for his buildsmanship and the fun rides. Stevenkeneval and i rode in the back woods of Santa Rosa in a late night (pitch black) drunken adventure hitting speeds of 50mph, testing my bike vs his hub powered Grayborg.
astro bike.jpg
Thanks to Justin for developing the cycle analyst v3 which without the astro bike would be very very difficult to manage. The v3 cycle analyst has built in RC throttle controls for RC controllers and very sweet throttle ramp features. In addition, the v3 came with temperature sensors which made any high performance bike more reliable if set up properly. Programming the v3 on a RC system is not an easy feat and Justin custom stopped by to San Francisco and programmed my cycle analyst and sweetened the ride. Basically the v3 cycle analyst makes it more possible for a small business to offer a high performance ebike to the public. Justins famous ebike grin was un-containable when testing the new bike:
justin.jpg
Thanks to Dan Hanebrink for being an inspiration, a consultant, and a really fun person to ride with. The Hanebrinks Dan Hanebrink builds for himself are beasts, and are worthy riding companions.
hanebrink.jpg

Finally thanks to Luna for being by my side through all this and putting up with daily sand bike rides on the beach in the wet and the cold of San Francisco. Before anyone (that i know of) had an electric fat tire bike, I wanted a way to get my dog to the dog beach 6.3 miles from my house and then 6.3 miles back. The acid test of bike and dog (easy for man on a reliable bike). Luna worked her heart out to keep up and blew out a leg ($4000 surgery to fix). The Luna Cycle is dedicated to her.

No cars....no road, no trails, just the open sand, my dog and my bike. Good times.... I never spent money on any better than getting my dog and on my bike. I had to spend a lot of money to get the exact bike i wanted, and needed a lot of help from some very special friends. :)
luna.jpg
luna.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 12466 times
Last edited by Green Machine on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:58 pm

By giving the Astro motor a high reduction, and also giving it the use of the bikes gears, this tiny and lightweight motor can really sing. If geared right, it can still kick ass as a left-side one-speed, but...I still remember being inspired years ago by an Astro through-the-gears:

https://www.electricbike.com/deecanios-astro-mid-drive

https://www.electricbike.com/roys-ecortina/

...and before anyone asks, this frame can easily accept a Lightning Rods big block.

Stevil_Knevil
10 kW
10 kW

Re: LUNA CYCLE FAT CARGO BIKES FOR SALE

Post by Stevil_Knevil » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:21 pm

Good times INDEED!

ATB right back at you, buddy :)

kudos
10 kW
10 kW

Post by kudos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:59 am

Are these only for sale in the US?

Or is shipping available to the UK?

Kudos
Build 1A Gary Fisher Wahoo Hardtail : Crystalyte HS3540 40A 49V : 31mph
Build 1B Gary Fisher Wahoo Hardtail : Mac 10T 30A 49V : 27mph
Build 1C Gary Fisher Wahoo Hardtail : Crystalyte HS3540 40A 82V :
Build 2 Mountain Cycle Fury FS : Mac 8T 40A 57V : Scrapped
Build 3 GT LTS FS : Mac 10T 30A 49V
Build 4 EEB : Mac 8T 40A - In Progress

999zip999
100 GW
100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:58 am

I remember that cute girlfriend of yours that didn't miss a thron on that fat bike at a riverside race. Nothing be stickers there. No pic's ? First time I saw a fat ebike 2yrs ago. Wow. Looked solid and fun. But looked as she needed a 20 in version.

Green Machine
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Green Machine » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:37 am

Yeah sure I can ship it anywhere as long as you pay the extra shipping cost.

Yeah she barely fit on the bike..she was like 5 6....i think for shorter rider 24 inch tires would be option, 20 inch tires would be bad ass except for peddles hitting ground on corners :)
ashley.jpg

Green Machine
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Green Machine » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:38 am

We got cnc throttles made for this bike which is pretty sick. It is all made in USA with linear bearings. Price for throttle = $100. it is the sickest thumb throttle i have ever seen and has really nice spring tension...feels like the real deal. Super click movement.
Attachments
untitled-8328.jpg

cwah
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cwah » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:44 pm

Is the battery quick release?

I think shipping to the UK would cost 2 arms.
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

Green Machine
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Green Machine » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am

no the battery box is not quick release.

i could help out with shipping costs to europe if i could get pics of the bike in a far out place ;)

liamcaff
10 kW
10 kW

Post by liamcaff » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 am

+1 Definitely look into shipping costs to Europe please :)

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:45 pm

My cousin doesn't ebike, but I'm trying to get him to buy one
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

snowranger
10 kW
10 kW

Post by snowranger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Great product! This is an excellent deal. I'd get one if I hadn't already built my yuba bbs02.
Electric: BBS02 / Nuvinci Developer Kit / 14s Li
Bike : Yuba Mundo
Accessories: 12 volt lighting, 48V horn
Miles: 300 mi

Mundo
100 W
100 W

Post by Mundo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:30 am

Are these frames still for sale?
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations"

Yuba Mundo V2 https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =4&t=15037