Tangent Motors RC mid drive kit

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Tangent Motors RC mid drive kit

Post by tangentdave » Jun 08 2015 9:47pm

This thread is to discuss the sales for the kit found in our build log in the non-hub drive forum. Kits and additional information can be found here:

tangentmotors.com

I am offering 6 early production units to ES members at a discount for feedback and promotional purposes. PM me if you’d like access to the webstore. Please be willing to discuss your experience with the kit via email (or ES messaging) directly with me. Feel free to share your experience with other members via the forum (please do). All riding situations welcomed.

The kit is provided Ready-To-Run, just add your choice of batteries. Bare drive units will also available if you already have an Astro Flight 3210 and controls. The RTR kit is available at early adopter discount for $1400 and includes the following:

• Tangent drive unit, side mount plates and universal downtube clamp
• Astro Flight 3210 7turn
• Castle Creations HV80 ESC
• Cycle Analyst V3 w/ twist throttle
• Freewheel crankset with ISIS BB, 16t ACS Southpaw freewheel driving a 32T SS Surly chainring via KMC Kool chain
• Assembled, wired and pre-configured-- mount, connect batteries, go ride

Each unit will be assembled and tested by me prior to shipping. The retail price of these existing components is over $1000, I'm only asking $400 for my time designing, manufacturing and integrating the kit.

The pictures show the ESC mounted underneath the seat- your production units will tuck the ESC and shunt behind the drive unit on a custom mounting plate, hidden from view and damage. The drive unit uses two connections- one to the Cycle Analyst (handlebar mounted) and the second are the battery leads. Batteries are not included.

The drive unit features a one-piece aluminum housing with extensive cooling. Quality American made bearings throughout and a Chromoly geartrain ensure durability. A top mounted oil port provides easy maintenance. An optional skid plate will be available soon.

This mounting kit is designed to fit frame shapes with the downtube extending straight from the BB, but may be mounted in any location. Other mounting plate styles coming shortly. I can provide the housing bolt pattern if you’re keen on making your own custom mount. Right now the drive unit fits either 68/73mm BBs or 83mm BBs. Unfortunately the two widths aren’t interchangeable at this time. 100mm wide BBs will be supported in short order.

The housing and mounting hardware will be anodized flat black/gray. Hardware is stainless steel (unless it clashes with the anodizing).

I will be working with local stores here in the Seattle area to market this kit in addition to the online store. If you’re in the PNW, I’m sure I can arrange for a test ride. I’m out on this thing most days.

We’re just getting ramped up on our end, more kits will be available shortly.
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

giblet   100 mW

100 mW

Re: Tangent Motors RC mid drive kit

Post by giblet » Jun 16 2015 8:45am

That looks like a nice compact kit. What batteries do you recommend and what sort of performance are you getting?

DAND214   1 GW

1 GW
Location: About 1200 miles south of Chicago, in sunny/rainny Port Richey, Florida!

Post by DAND214 » Jun 16 2015 9:20am

"WOW"

Dan

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jun 16 2015 4:06pm

giblet wrote:That looks like a nice compact kit. What batteries do you recommend and what sort of performance are you getting?
I'm using LiPo batteries to get this much power but no reason this couldn't be used with any of the convenient frame mounted packs available, assuming less performance in trade-off. I've tried both 50C and 10C batteries, and honestly, HobbyKing offers a 16Ah LiPo 6S pack, the Turnigy Multistar series, I'd recommend. 700Wh for $250, simple charging, no fuss. High C packs give a bit more throttle response but at the expense of reduced run time (noticeable).

Performance wise? I limit the current to 65A; 45A on tight trails. I'm coming from a motorcycle and this is fun. Sure, you could run 200A through a hub motor and beat me in a straight line, on pavement. 20-25Wh/mi @25mph, no pedaling (30mph w/ light pedal). I'm able to hit top speed in any gear in about any situation...

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

ARod1993   100 W

100 W

Post by ARod1993 » Jun 16 2015 7:34pm

That's a really nice compact kit you've got there, especially when you consider that powerwise this could probably compete quite nicely with what LightningRods is working on (especially when you're selling drivetrain + motor + controller + Cycle Analyst for $1400; I know L-R's kit is $800 and motor + drivetrain only, requiring you to spend $11-1200 for comparable parts and assemble it yourself). Frankly, I think that kit is just begging for a custom stealth-ish frame built around it; you could build an oddly shaped BB-replacement unit to shroud the kit, add a Stromer-style oversized downtube and a somewhat oversized seat tube to house the controller and batteries, and you'd have a 3-4kW setup that could conceivably beat out Optibike in the "looks like a bicycle" department.

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jun 16 2015 8:16pm

I designed in a nice 5x100mm bolt pattern on the output side for adaptability. Super clean and easy for frame makers to integrate a way to hold this...
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

litespeed   100 kW

100 kW

Post by litespeed » Jun 16 2015 8:28pm

Very nice!

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jun 16 2015 8:33pm

Very cool. If i had the cash to buy one, i'd love to be a first adopter of this very light and powerful kit.
In lieu of that, i wish you the best of luck with your idea & dream.
-D
My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The wheelie machine: 20" Rear Magic Pie II on a Trek 4300 MTB

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."- Chinese Proverb

macribs   1 GW

1 GW

Post by macribs » Jun 18 2015 5:29pm

Surprised to see that no one has signed up for one yet. What a light and compact drive kit. And to par it with Astro motor is just freakin awesome.

Best of luck with your drive unit. Look forward to see various builds using your drive kit.

r3volved   100 kW

100 kW

Post by r3volved » Jun 18 2015 6:21pm

I would have signed up right away if it was the same time last year...I just finished my LR build
And don't have enough money to build up my new BMX addition to the bike family :(

ErnestoA   100 W

100 W

Post by ErnestoA » Jun 28 2015 2:28pm

neptronix wrote:Very cool. If i had the cash to buy one, i'd love to be a first adopter of this very light and powerful kit.
In lieu of that, i wish you the best of luck with your idea & dream.
-D
This exactly. If I had $1400 in the bank, it would likely be yours tangentdave. :)

The price is more than reasonable too. ;)

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jun 29 2015 10:19pm

Thanks for the support. I'm a builder like everybody else here and I'm trying to provide real value. Something tough that performs for a price that lets everybody share in the fun. I'm working on the website and product(s) that take advantage of the drive technology. Stay tuned.
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

stuntmanmike   100 W

100 W

Post by stuntmanmike » Jun 30 2015 11:55am

Hello Dave, I think I'm interested in buying one, that is if they're still available? Ive had most of the kits available now days & really like the simplicity and seemingly lighter weight of the this one.
Let me know.
Mike

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jun 30 2015 12:20pm

Hey Mike. There are 3 more drives from this first round that are unspoken for. Head on over to the webstore if you're keen, http://www.tangentmotors.com. I'm offering just the drive barebones, with an Astro Flight motor, or as a pre-wired kit. I suggest the 3210 but order the motors/ESC for each customer so the choice is still yours.

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jun 30 2015 9:03pm

$400 for the drive kit is insanely cheap. If you can't afford the whole rig right now, that's the way to go.
I so wish had the cash.

But you still deserve a cookie.

My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The wheelie machine: 20" Rear Magic Pie II on a Trek 4300 MTB

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."- Chinese Proverb

r3volved   100 kW

100 kW

Post by r3volved » Jun 30 2015 11:39pm

Your half-link is reversed in the images on your tech page...other than that it's sweet! Good job

goodgnus   100 mW

100 mW

Post by goodgnus » Jun 30 2015 11:53pm

r3volved wrote:Your half-link is reversed in the images on your tech page...other than that it's sweet! Good job
Actually, his half link chain is symmetrical, so there is no wrong or right.

However, I would reverse the direction that it travels, generally the outer link leads the inner link.
I unlock Bionx systems! Removes all speed limits. Find my service posted on eBay or PM me.

adriftatsea   100 W

100 W

Post by adriftatsea » Jul 09 2015 6:08pm

I just placed my order! :pancake:

This kit is amazingly well designed and Dave has been really helpful with answering questions.
[Santa Cruz Heckler] - Tangent 80:1 RC mid-drive, 12s 16ah, 44t, clutched derailleur, Fox 40/dhx5, Hope mono6ti. Pic: http://imgur.com/XAt85di
[e-kart/buggy thing] - ME1003, Alltrax 7245, 400a, 20s60ah (leaf modules), CA3. Pic: http://imgur.com/ZOpCJ6I
[Bad Boy Buggy XT] - Dual DC motors, Curtis 1268 @ 400A/ea, 14s120ah leaf modules, CA3

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Jul 09 2015 10:30pm

After taking the prototype bike for a test ride, I just placed an order myself. It really is a beautiful, clean, compact bit of engineering. Definitely not silent, but still quiet compared to any combustion engine.

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jul 13 2015 12:34pm

Just a pile of parts headed to the anodizing shop...
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

John Bozi   1 MW

1 MW

Post by John Bozi » Jul 13 2015 3:58pm

mmmm looks fantastic well done.

Although the sound would be safe not needing a bell, honestly though the sound would probably p*&^ trail sharers off from quite a distance.

Having said that I'd be still interested in this as a secondary motor to use when I think there's nobody around.

I love the super high mounting point with amazing ground clearance.

How well does this freewheel, does it drag at all?

Can the motor run Counter clock wise? I am looking for something to run through the disc brake side for a massive granny gear..... would prefer a mounting solution directly to the swing arm near the part that usually takes 26" tyre, put putting 20" wheel on... looks the right sized motor for that. I climb stuff near 40 degrees off road....

Well done though and best of luck with sales. There's definately a market out there for some people...

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jul 13 2015 7:05pm

The unit can be driven either way- the freewheel on the output is set up for clockwise. Would need to change the threading to right-handed to accept a normal freewheel. BTW, the freewheel means no drag.

I doubt you'd need a granny gear unless you're running single speed. This much torque through the low gears of a cassette is enough to pull you up a tree.

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Jul 13 2015 8:21pm

Beautiful array of parts! Thanks for the update.
John Bozi wrote: Although the sound would be safe not needing a bell, honestly though the sound would probably p*&^ trail sharers off from quite a distance.
It's not that loud. I haven't ridden one on a quiet trail, mind, but to a bystander it doesn't stand out above the background noise on a city street.

John Bozi   1 MW

1 MW

Post by John Bozi » Jul 13 2015 11:20pm

thanks for the info.

I have the most common v3 ca already the one used for a hub motors... do I need yours?

I am fond of SS, so please entertain me for a second, what top speed could I expect with 48t rear sprocket in a 26" wheel?

It's not the short burst of tree climbing any hub can do, it's climbing a whole mountain range of roughly 30% that I can do now with my gearing I want to do with out overheating... and still have a reasonable top end speed.

I am very interested and make a lot of youtube videos that would serve your business well ;) over a hundred now....

I reckon your bracket looks similar to my downtube width too.... mmmmmmmmm

giblet   100 mW

100 mW

Post by giblet » Jul 15 2015 8:43am

adriftatsea wrote:This kit is amazingly well designed and Dave has been really helpful with answering questions.
+1- Kit looks awesome, and Dave has been really helpful answering lots of my stupid questions. Will definitely be purchasing in future.