Tangent Motors RC mid drive kit

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Re: Tangent Motors RC mid drive kit

Post by Ham » Apr 14 2016 5:14pm

I have another thread on here but wanted to share my first experience with Daves Tangent Motors Drive kit now I've being playing for a couple of days...here is what I wrote on another thread:

It's on and is a hoot...a torque monster hoot!

Still some tinkering to do with the CA3 I think but first impressions are:

First and foremost, it is brilliant fun...although I should add that I have zero ebike experience before this but I do have 27 years of thrashing and crashing dirt bikes from 2 stokes to 400 4 strokers, muscle bikes, sports bikes and the infamous Vmax so I am cool with big power on 2 wheels....

The starting torque on this unit is hilarious...never have wheelies been so easy.

The kit is plush, right out the box every bit looks and feels lovingly hand made and incredibly solid.

The installation was smooth once I had the right tools and understood how each part interacted with another.

Cabling is simple and intuitive.

The lack of noise is something to get use to for sure....a small whine and whir is worlds apart from a thumper dirt bike...the feedback from an engine makes it feel faster...this is Tangent Drive kit is stealth power in a few kilos of future fun right here.

I've been testing, running back and forth to work and basically having a ball for 2 days now...albeit probably only about 2 hours in total so far and have not needed to recharge the two 6s 16ah lipos....I have 4 for 2s2p 50v 32ah that I've not even hooked up yet....I estimate about 10-12 miles of run time at this point. so maybe 15 out of 16ah which may well turn to be 30 miles from the 32ah pack....I should point out again that this is for the 3220 Astro kit with hv160 controller and not the standard kit Dave sells with the smaller 3210 motor and hv80 controller which will be more "fuel" efficient.

Sunday will tell more when I go out with the boys on their dirt bikes for our usual offroad route.

On a private road I've topped out at 39mph so far with the two batteries down to about 46v and about 300wh left, running the amps to 150 max but have only peaked at 133 thus far....not sure what I have to do to draw more as the motor was given some abuse to get that....I'll find a way no doubt.

Of note to others.....don't let people without motorbike or high power e bike experience ride this...2 tried today and despite my setting lower power and giving instruction...both flipped it out from underneath them. No non bikers from now on unless it is tamed waaaaay down.

General note: tuck trousers into to socks so you don't have to call for a knife to cut your mangled trousers off your leg before being able to dismount....ahem...

And a little snap shot tease before the videos roll....
Stomp.gif
"STOMP"
http://www.HamsFitness.com Strength, Conditioning & Diet

millzy555   100 W

100 W

Post by millzy555 » Apr 14 2016 6:08pm

Nice, clean build!, hanging out for the video :D

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Apr 16 2016 5:33am

Video soon....

I am looking for more speed than my current gearing offers (39MPH) me and am undecided as to which sprocket to swap out for best results:

motor output to bigger or...

crankset motor receiver to smaller or....

crankset chain wheel to bigger....

three ways to get more speed but not certain hoW this effects torque numbers...

Also need to refine the throttle response which Dave has been helping with but any other user experience of CA numbers is welcomed

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Apr 16 2016 12:17pm

HamsFitness wrote:Video soon....

I am looking for more speed than my current gearing offers (39MPH) me and am undecided as to which sprocket to swap out for best results:

motor output to bigger or...

crankset motor receiver to smaller or....

crankset chain wheel to bigger....

three ways to get more speed but not certain hoW this effects torque numbers...

Also need to refine the throttle response which Dave has been helping with but any other user experience of CA numbers is welcomed
Be sure CA's speed limiting is totally disabled by following the user guide instructions. The default settings made my throttle really jumpy, but after fixing that it's smooth.

Unless it's super important to you to be able to pedal along at top speed I'd scale up the motor output. It's got the most room to grow, and making gears larger reduces wear vs. making them smaller.

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Apr 16 2016 1:13pm

Cheers:)

I've just jumped to a 38t chainring and thats sees 42mph on a sagging battery of 45v.

Any advice on throttle output settings...playing with fast threshold now...seems a little more pokey now but your experience is appreciated

ls7corvete   100 mW

100 mW

Post by ls7corvete » Apr 27 2016 10:17pm

tangentdave wrote:It sure could. That motor is an outrunner so we'd have to modify how the housing holds the motor. Should probably cover the spinning finger death also, keep the dirt out. Something like an oiled dirt bike air filter could be perfect...

-dave
Have you built any with the 80100?

A kit without the motor and ESC would be interesting. I would like to try the VESC. If you are able to produce this I would be very interested.

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Apr 28 2016 3:23am

The video is up on Dave's build thread for those interested...

r3volved   100 kW

100 kW

Post by r3volved » Apr 28 2016 12:00pm

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Apr 28 2016 12:23pm

windtrader   1 kW

1 kW

Post by windtrader » Jun 11 2016 4:22am

Any updates on this kit, now that there should be plenty of ridden miles?

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Jun 11 2016 11:33am

I'm about 200 miles in and going well barring an issue with the lighter gears but Dave hooked me up with a new stronger set and they seem fine so far.

Kit is great fun and there is no hill I can't climb at 20+ mph.

Running the 3220 version
Last edited by Ham on Jun 11 2016 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

windtrader   1 kW

1 kW

Post by windtrader » Jun 11 2016 12:53pm

HamsFitness wrote:Kit is great fun and there is no hill I can climb at 20+ mph.
You did mean there is no hill I can NOT climb...?

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Jun 11 2016 2:13pm

windtrader wrote:
HamsFitness wrote:Kit is great fun and there is no hill I can climb at 20+ mph.
You did mean there is no hill I can NOT climb...?

edited :) thanks for pointing that out. Shouldn't post when I'm hungry!

dockers   1 W

1 W

Post by dockers » Jun 13 2016 5:28am

Taken me long enough but finally come around to the advantages of the mid drive. I love lightweight bikes and your setup seems to be the perfect astro solution I've been looking for.
The ability to mount within the frame is fantastic.

Are the discounted mount only kits for ES members still available or am I too late to the party?

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jun 13 2016 4:09pm

Hey Dockers. I'm only selling the kit through ES right now, so there's only one price. PM me or check out the website: http://www.tangentmotors.com

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

elementary   10 W

10 W

Post by elementary » Jun 25 2016 9:42am

Hbake.jpeg
Hbake.jpeg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Ok, I know it will be weeks before my Tangent Ascent is built, but could not stop myself from reading documentation links.

That started me thinking about installation... so I have some questions...

Here is my first...

Do you think this wiring (see drawing) will work for adapting the Luna hydraulic brake sensors to the CA3

Taking the 5v from the Auxiliary Potentiometer port, Ground from Ebrake Cutoff Port and EBK from the Sensor Lead?

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jun 25 2016 2:26pm

It's even more simple. Here's the relevant info from http://www.electricrider.com/v/vspfiles ... rGuide.pdf
pg23.JPG
pg23.JPG (111.77 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
An onboard pull-up means you don't need to supply voltage to the switch: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pull-up-resistors

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

elementary   10 W

10 W

Post by elementary » Jun 25 2016 3:46pm

Thanks,
If I see the colors correctly... only the blue and black are used on the hall effect sensor... the red is spare/unused.

So I trust that is tested, but I am curious how the Hall effect sensor is powered :?:

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Jun 26 2016 11:36am

The pullup circuit will power the hall sensor:

In our case the pullup resistor is inside the CA. Post this question in the 'ebike technical' forum if you don't get the switch working, more smart people prowl over there than the for sale section.

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Oct 22 2016 3:21pm

Just a little update on my Tangent ride:

the 3220 is holding up just dandy. I've recently managed to fry my shunt and ESC but no idea of the actual cause but I am now running the Talon 120 as per Dave's advice with amps limited down from 150 to 120 (although I haven't seen anything higher than 120 for a very long time riding this so that's no problem).

I have been experimenting with differing gearing and still haven't decided which set up I like :)

Now I am thinking I want a more bad arse frame to house this beauty and better battery set up too!

Any frame suggestions welcome?

I wonder, has anyone tried putting a Tangent in a dedicated ebike frame like a futr or other stealth style set up?

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Re: Tangent Motors RC vs stealth bomber b52

Post by Ham » Oct 27 2016 8:06am

I've just got off a stealth b52 bomber to see if enjoyed the hub drive set up...my full thoughts are here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84430&p=1235786#p1235786

But the cliff notes are:

Brilliantly built and solid. Lovely to ride. Suntour gearbox was hard to shift but nice once engaged.

A quiet ride that felt no match for the 3220 powered Tangent. Perhaps it is due to the weight...who knows.

It felt like a very light motorbike with less power. Overall very nice but i feel this mid drive kit is superior in nearly every way and once i figure out a stronger drive chain set up in the higher gears it'll be even further ahead in all possible ways.

Hard to say how good Daves kit is until you've compared it to something of equal power...but at 5 times cheaper and more power/stealth/off road ability...Tangent motors is well ahead of the most expensive "heavyweights".

If you're thinking about buying a Tangent Ascent set up...do it and enjoy the smiles for miles.

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Nov 27 2016 2:14pm

Another little update for anyone pondering the IGH question: Will they hold up to the power?

I now have an Alfine 8 set up and test rode it for just under 20 miles offroad today and what a different experience it is...held up fine to today's riding and hopefully many more miles.

A much easier and slicker set up for me personally with this. Very pleased but I have no clue how long it will last for :)

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Nov 27 2016 2:26pm

Ham wrote:Another little update for anyone pondering the IGH question: Will they hold up to the power?

I now have an Alfine 8 set up and test rode it for just under 20 miles offroad today and what a different experience it is...held up fine to today's riding and hopefully many more miles.

A much easier and slicker set up for me personally with this. Very pleased but I have no clue how long it will last for :)
Keep us updated! Upgrading to something like that in the future is appealing, though my derailleur is holding up okay for now.

Ham   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Ham » Nov 27 2016 2:44pm

Will do. My derailleur was fine too but I loved the simplicity and clean chain line the hub offers and once I have the twist shifter installed...the cleaner handlebars also.

Plus less cleaning of a mud clogged rear cassette :) So far so good. Very impressed and has only added to the blast that is Tangent

ElectricGod   1 GW

1 GW

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 27 2016 10:35pm

Cool kit...I have a couple of 3220's this would work with.
XB-502: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83302&p=1222730#p1222730

Currie scooter: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83830&p=1227407#p1227407

Benjamin Franklin - "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."