Tangent Motors RC mid drive kit

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Re: Tangent Motors RC mid drive kit

Post by tangentdave » Jul 26 2015 2:21pm

No updates yet, elbows deep in aluminum chips and spring loaded chain tensioners. Soon though, software is loaded and waiting for me.
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

aCeMadMod   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aCeMadMod » Aug 10 2015 5:23am

all i pay for my barebone kit today and wait for tracking number , i number #00006
can the other plz post who pay for drive's and tell what number you have it help es useds thank you :)

adriftatsea   100 W

100 W

Post by adriftatsea » Aug 10 2015 5:32pm

aCeMadMod wrote:all i pay for my barebone kit today and wait for tracking number , i number #00006
can the other plz post who pay for drive's and tell what number you have it help es useds thank you :)
Dave sent me a tracking number over the weekend. I think i'm order #4.

Also wanted to drop a big 'Good Job' to Dave for getting an innovative product to market and dealing well with pre-orders. I know firsthand startups/small-business 'wins' like that often go unremarked.
[Santa Cruz Heckler] - Tangent 80:1 RC mid-drive, 12s 16ah, 44t, clutched derailleur, Fox 40/dhx5, Hope mono6ti. Pic: http://imgur.com/XAt85di
[e-kart/buggy thing] - ME1003, Alltrax 7245, 400a, 20s60ah (leaf modules), CA3. Pic: http://imgur.com/ZOpCJ6I
[Bad Boy Buggy XT] - Dual DC motors, Curtis 1268 @ 400A/ea, 14s120ah leaf modules, CA3

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Aug 10 2015 7:00pm

I got my kit assembled and working over the weekend. There were a few minor issues, which Dave has been very helpful correcting. At this point it's working great. Not exactly quiet even with the soft mount, but powerful, and lighter and more compact than any of the competition. Powering up 20% grade hills doesn't even stress it. It's possible to get the controller and motor both pretty hot by pegging the throttle, but you'd probably have to do that for minutes on end before anything will actually overheat. Throttle control is very smooth and precise, and it looks good to boot.

I'm running on 2 20C 5Ah 6s Turnigy packs, which seem to handle the load well. Probably upgrading to the 16Ah Multistars in the near future, as 5Ah doesn't give you a lot of range, although the freewheels mean that the bike works great as a bike, so it's easy to substantially inflate your range by saving the motor when you really need it.

jk1   1 kW

1 kW

Post by jk1 » Aug 10 2015 11:49pm

Not exactly quiet even with the soft mount, but powerful, and lighter
How noisy is it ? do you have any videos ? Also what is the total weight of this kit and peak power ?

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Aug 11 2015 12:39am

I don't have a decibel meter, so all I can give is vague comparisons. A bit louder than the sound of coasting fast on a smooth road? It's not remotely stealthy, but quiet enough that it won't draw anyone's attention if they're not already staring at you wondering how the hell you passed them, and even then they might not realize what the noise was. Of course, part of that is that the noise is all just mechanical sounds, nothing like what anyone associates with a motor.

I think the weight of the mechanics and motor combined is about 6 pounds. The electronics and motor are rated to sustain 3.75kW or so with sufficient airflow, though they get hot to the touch pretty quick even at 2.5kW. I have a lower current limit set in the CA that constrains me to about 3kW continuous, and on my 38t sprocket I have a difficult time finding a hill steep enough that pegging the throttle in top gear will allow me to get anywhere near that limit. And I live around a lot of hills.

edit: Peak rated power on the motor is 4.8kW, but the controller is only rated for 3.84kW. It's Castle Creations hardware so it'll probably survive being ran out of spec now and then, but you might be better off with a beefier controller if you want to squeeze everything you can out of the mechanics. I emphasize that it's difficult to actually draw anywhere near that much power, at least without a much larger sprocket.

aCeMadMod   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aCeMadMod » Aug 11 2015 8:25am

hi yes all Tangent users tell what motor they useing 3210 or 3220 ? to give a idear how well it works thank you

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Aug 11 2015 7:03pm

The standard motor is the Astro 3210. All complete kit owners, myself included, will be using that one. It works well.

handbaked   100 W

100 W

Post by handbaked » Aug 12 2015 7:15pm

This sounds like a great product. Already eyeing up a 2nd build after only just getting my first on the road!

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Aug 16 2015 12:38am

Been doing hard, daily on-road riding with this for almost a week now without a single issue. Definitely much quieter when you run in your top gear. I have yet to need to max out the throttle to get the power I wanted in any situation, even up a 20% grade, and that's just the way I like it. 5Ah of battery (strapped into a triangle bag) is turning out to be more than enough for in-city use after all, too.

It's difficult to overstate just how convenient a powerful ebike like this kit produces is. Having the freedom (and infrastructure access) of a bicycle in a traffic-clogged transit-poor city without being limited to your own power output is a wonderful feeling. I'm able to get out and visit friends and family more easily than ever.

adriftatsea   100 W

100 W

Post by adriftatsea » Aug 16 2015 1:25am

Nice.
Good to hear a small 5ah pack is usable - but I'm glad I bought a spare 16ah 'multistar' pack too. What kind of watt hours are you seeing? Pics?
[Santa Cruz Heckler] - Tangent 80:1 RC mid-drive, 12s 16ah, 44t, clutched derailleur, Fox 40/dhx5, Hope mono6ti. Pic: http://imgur.com/XAt85di
[e-kart/buggy thing] - ME1003, Alltrax 7245, 400a, 20s60ah (leaf modules), CA3. Pic: http://imgur.com/ZOpCJ6I
[Bad Boy Buggy XT] - Dual DC motors, Curtis 1268 @ 400A/ea, 14s120ah leaf modules, CA3

macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by macribs » Aug 16 2015 6:14am

Ralith wrote:Been doing hard, daily on-road riding with this for almost a week now without a single issue. Definitely much quieter when you run in your top gear. I have yet to need to max out the throttle to get the power I wanted in any situation, even up a 20% grade, and that's just the way I like it. 5Ah of battery (strapped into a triangle bag) is turning out to be more than enough for in-city use after all, too.

It's difficult to overstate just how convenient a powerful ebike like this kit produces is. Having the freedom (and infrastructure access) of a bicycle in a traffic-clogged transit-poor city without being limited to your own power output is a wonderful feeling. I'm able to get out and visit friends and family more easily than ever.
Impressive - can you tell us more about power consumption? Like watt used per kilometer? Or how many kilometer you can go with your 5 ah pack? It seems the Tangent mid drive kit must be highly efficient for you to rely on using only a 5 ah pack.

aCeMadMod   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aCeMadMod » Aug 17 2015 10:26am

4 more day i be first in au test world cup track go up .. i hope the poor gearbox can power of 3220. pry :shock:

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Aug 17 2015 12:16pm

Extrapolating very roughly from trip distances, it looks like I could manage something like 15km on a 5Ah charge? That's based on trips that were about half climbing 10-20% grade hills at 1-2kW, and half rolling back down them at no power at all (except when I get impatient), so it probably averages out. I pedal, but when I'm doing 30kph uphill the pedaling isn't going to have much of an impact. I'll see about taking some photos.

By the way, adriftatsea, I see in your signature that you've got a 34t chainring. You might want to consider going substantially larger than that. I have a 38t, which gives me a top speed around 47kph (up a slight slope), and still so much torque that I accidentally do wheelies when in my middle gears, and have no use whatsoever for the low ones. I'd go up to 40 or 42 if my frame had space for it.

adriftatsea   100 W

100 W

Post by adriftatsea » Aug 17 2015 12:44pm

Ralith wrote: By the way, adriftatsea, I see in your signature that you've got a 34t chainring. You might want to consider going substantially larger than that. I have a 38t, which gives me a top speed around 47kph (up a slight slope)
I spoke with Dave a while back and he said he runs a 32t up front - but was considering a 34t for a wider range....so that's what I went with.

I also opted for a 'narrow-wide' chainring after lots of dropped chains with my GNG kit. It looks like 38t is the largest 4-bolt 'narrow-wide' chainring I can get in a 4-bolt design.

My kit arrives tomorrow (yay!) and I'll check back in to let you know how long it takes me to get bored of 47kph. :)

Ralith   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Ralith » Aug 17 2015 1:10pm

I've got a narrow-wide too, plus a front derailleur fixed in place to act as a chainguide. No dropped chains so far. Haven't even managed to get the chain to skip on the 11t sprocket of my beaten-up old casette, so maybe I'm just not riding it hard enough, but it feels nice and secure anyway.

The 47kph top speed was with a 38t. You'll probably get a bit less, unless your bike is much more efficient than mine (quite possible). Still well into "should I really be going this fast on a bicycle" speeds, I admit.

aCeMadMod   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aCeMadMod » Aug 21 2015 12:27pm

hi my barebone i just got it,, i like too try a road bike for fun. change from 32 t ring to 44t for motor is it to big to drive a 55t ring and road bike wheel 16 t it a fixie road bike . i am useing a 3220 motor ? or will it kill the esc 160 amp or 250 amp one;s i have ? what would be a my max speed ? thank you :)

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Aug 21 2015 3:24pm

My road bike is running single speed, 42t front, 14t rear on a 28" wheel. That gearing is good for 50+kph on any incline you can find, with a 3220 limited to 60A. I've put a Samsung pack from EM3EV on the bike which only outputs 35A and is still enough for 40kph on any incline with a range of 35mi from a 10Ah pack. More current really means more acceleration. The ESC should handle it all fine- I tested the single speed road bike with an HV80 in San Francisco on a 41% incline at 60A 5 times in a row without issue, even turning around in the middle of the hill is fine. Much faster and lighter and more conveneint than any car or gas moped.

http://www.7x7.com/arts-culture/real-to ... -francisco

Ace, try the 44t first. I can also make up spiders that use the 5 bolt road pattern if people would like. That allows larger chainrings but I think the torque may cause flexing in the superlight sprockets...

-dave
Last edited by tangentdave on Aug 30 2015 12:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

1KW   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1KW » Aug 22 2015 4:48pm

Would it ever fit something like this?

http://lunacycle.com/motors-and-esc/c80 ... -rc-motor/

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Aug 22 2015 5:01pm

It sure could. That motor is an outrunner so we'd have to modify how the housing holds the motor. Should probably cover the spinning finger death also, keep the dirt out. Something like an oiled dirt bike air filter could be perfect...

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Aug 27 2015 2:47pm

Our setup:
-Ghost Speedline 2 w/ singlespeed drivetrain (42-14)
-Tangent drive, clear anodized
-EM3EV 10Ah 25R battery pack
-35A limit = 100ft-lbs torque @ crank
-30mi range, 32mph top speed, 25mph easy cruise
-35lbs including battery

GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by macribs » Aug 27 2015 3:23pm

I am impressed. And so compact and light weight. Fun to see you up those hills. And on the very last, the cyclist in front of you climbs of his bike and start walking up the hill. You pedal effortless up the hill at great speed. I liked that. :)
You must get a 3220 to test to see how the gear holds up to even more power. With a 3220 even heavy riders with heavy bikes could enjoy your drive in the steepest of hills.

tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW

Post by tangentdave » Aug 27 2015 3:33pm

Didn't get video, but this bike/setup climbs San Francisco's steepest hill (41%) at 20mph & 60A. It turns around in the middle of it too, like in the Seattle vid, no overheating, the ESC is fine. The single speed is a pretty sweet setup, super clean and easy and just dominates the city. I put a 7speed cassette back on last night which upped the cruise speed to 30mph (with the 11tooth cog), max speed is near 40mph (35A still).

The 3210 works pretty well, and absorbs 65A without excessive heat and could absorb a bit more with an HV120. This power level is well beyond e-bikes. I'll double the power with a 3220/HV160 pretty quick, AceMadMod might beat me to it, but I think we'll be riding with the motos up to 40mph. Perfect. I also suspect the big power will like a smaller reduction, say about 62:1 (using a 20t output freewheel vice 16t w/3210). The pedal cadence will be too fast at top speed...oh well.

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

aCeMadMod   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aCeMadMod » Aug 29 2015 10:25am

macribs wrote:I am impressed. And so compact and light weight. Fun to see you up those hills. And on the very last, the cyclist in front of you climbs of his bike and start walking up the hill. You pedal effortless up the hill at great speed. I liked that. :)
You must get a 3220 to test to see how the gear holds up to even more power. With a 3220 even heavy riders with heavy bikes could enjoy your drive in the steepest of hills.

macribs yes your dream will come ture this week with 3220 motor , been think alot how mount gearbox to my downhill ebike,, it needs new mounts my bike is like very few here. the way it ride,, downhill and now uphill hopeful it not blow up something i . killed a good 12s esc ( testing my rc roadbike. i really wait for 8.0mm Gold Bullet Connector before i really push any power to motor :?

Last edited by aCeMadMod on Oct 11 2015 1:15am, edited 1 time in total.

rickkerb   100 µW

100 µW

Post by rickkerb » Sep 12 2015 12:14am

I live north in Everett would like to try it out. Will you sell the motor alone. Have a Kona Stinky and would would like to mount the motor inside the triangle.Have small machine shop so I can make my own mounts. Any way to put some cooling sound deadening around the motor so I can cover it up inside the triangle with batteries