Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Aeron   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 12 2018 8:04am

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by Aeron » Dec 10 2018 7:19am

Thank you for the explanations !
I don't plan on using an external battery monitior since it's already on the display, it's just embedded on the combo and I'll leave it unwired.

User avatar
ElectricGod   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2276
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 12 2018 11:07pm

I finally got around to setting up a 12 fet controller. I looked at the documentation long enough to figure out the wiring, but never looked at programming. I wanted to see if I could make the controller run without reading anything. Historically FOC controllers have been fairly difficult to configure. I know this from personal experience. I wanted to see if these controllers would be easy or hard to configure. As it turns out, it was not hard at all. There's tons of features I really need to read about since I have no idea what they do. However within 20 minutes of power up, I had it running an inrunner.

ALL EV's, BMS, battery packs, contactors, motors and controllers I have are wired interchangeably. As a result I had to convert the Nucular 12 fet to work with what I do as a standard. It had 6mm bullets on the phase wires, but I use 5.5mm bullets everywhere. I use XT90's for charging ports and nothing else. It had to be replaced with 5.5mm bullets. I had to replace the better 6mm bullets for 5.5mm bullets or adapt down. It was easy enough to swap them out. I cut off the small connectors and replaced them with IP68 connectors. My motors, bench throttle and all my EV's use these exact connectors wired identically every time. Now I can plug this controller into any of my EV's, a little bit of programming and it is ready to go.

6mm bullets are better than 5.5mm, but fooey...everything I have uses 5.5mm.

Image

This too got pulled off. 5.5mm bullets are a fair bit better than XT90's and you can connect up one power lead at a time with bullets. In my EV builds this is a charging port.

Image

I'm not fond of non-water proof connectors at all and I don't like small unsupported wires. They tend to get broken. So a long time ago, all this sort of wiring went into IP68 connectors where the individual small wires are protected and can't get damaged.

Image

This is the end result. 5.5mm bullets and IP68 connectors. THe 6 pin has halls and motor temp in it. The 8 pin has enable, throttle and 3 speeds.

Image

Image

Image

Pinouts for the 2 IP68 connectors. Ignore the wire colors listed here. That's from another controller.

Image

This is the small signal wires coming out of the Nucular controller. My connectors don't include brakes or variable regen. I never use the brake signal, but now that I have variable regen, I may use that via the connector on the back of the LCD. I never use cruise or reverse...don't care at all about them.

Image

Plugged in and powered up for the first time.

Image
ElectricGod...it's a joke...don't take things so seriously folks!

XB-502 Moped:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1222730

Currie scooter:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p1227407

User avatar
tahitiboob   1 W

1 W
Posts: 58
Joined: Dec 19 2017 6:02pm

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by tahitiboob » Dec 13 2018 4:42am

As usual electriGod well edited beautiful photo,I look forward to seeing the rest of your tests.

User avatar
ElectricGod   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2276
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 13 2018 12:37pm

tahitiboob wrote:
Dec 13 2018 4:42am
As usual electriGod well edited beautiful photo,I look forward to seeing the rest of your tests.
Thanks for the compliment!
I want to make what I do repeatable by anyone. That means good descriptions and pictures.
ElectricGod...it's a joke...don't take things so seriously folks!

XB-502 Moped:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1222730

Currie scooter:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p1227407

Smoke   100 W

100 W
Posts: 145
Joined: Nov 15 2018 11:04pm

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by Smoke » Dec 15 2018 11:49pm

Has anyone tried one of these controllers with a Cyclone 3 kw motor?

I have heard that the ASI BAC 800 and Phaserunner can have issues with the Cyclone hall sensors but I want a nice, smooth and efficient controller.

I also want to make my own version of a "Cycle Stoker" which is a single chain mid-drive using a strain gauge on a chain idler as a pedaling torque sensor. I think the strain gauge has an output that's like a 4-20 mA but I'm not sure. The real Cycle Stoker uses a CA-V3 to control the throttle signal and a converted hub drive. I would rather have more power and less weight with a Cyclone motor but if I can eliminate the CA-V3, I have an LCD display for my BMS that should show everything I need to see and if your controller has Bluetooth, I should be able to see everything.

Thanks.
Don't let me out.

User avatar
VasiliSk   100 W

100 W
Posts: 153
Joined: Apr 10 2014 5:11am
Location: Russia
Contact:

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by VasiliSk » Dec 16 2018 7:28am

It should work fine, since lmx motors works too.

There is Bluetooth in 12F and 24F, but no app yet.
Our own bms also under development

L3chef   10 W

10 W
Posts: 66
Joined: Jul 27 2018 12:27pm
Location: Finland

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by L3chef » Dec 16 2018 9:57am

VasiliSk wrote:
Dec 16 2018 7:28am
It should work fine, since lmx motors works too.

There is Bluetooth in 12F and 24F, but no app yet.
Our own bms also under development
Can you add me to the que for the 12f version?


User avatar
tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 06 2015 11:40am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by tangentdave » Dec 16 2018 1:03pm

Hey Vasili, put me in the queue for a 12F unit as well? Is the queue shorter for the 24F? Tangent needs to test one of your babies with our RC engines, and I have a good feeling about replacing the Castle TalonHV/Cycle Analyst combo with a Nucular controller...

The controller can be used without the display?

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

L3chef   10 W

10 W
Posts: 66
Joined: Jul 27 2018 12:27pm
Location: Finland

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by L3chef » Dec 17 2018 2:04am

Is there any info on the bms? Would like to know the dimension and will there be a 20s version?

User avatar
VasiliSk   100 W

100 W
Posts: 153
Joined: Apr 10 2014 5:11am
Location: Russia
Contact:

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by VasiliSk » Dec 17 2018 2:54am

24F queue much shorter but it's still under testing.
It can be used without lcd.

BMS under development, no timelines yet. it is up to 24S

User avatar
ElectricGod   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2276
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 17 2018 6:50pm

VasiliSk wrote:
Dec 17 2018 2:54am
24F queue much shorter but it's still under testing.
It can be used without lcd.

BMS under development, no timelines yet. it is up to 24S
Put me in queue for 2 of the 24 fet versions with LCD.
ElectricGod...it's a joke...don't take things so seriously folks!

XB-502 Moped:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1222730

Currie scooter:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p1227407

User avatar
tangentdave   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 436
Joined: Jun 06 2015 11:40am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by tangentdave » Dec 18 2018 1:31pm

Agreed. Can you put me in the queue for a 24F with LCD? Thanks Vasili!

-dave
GGMT/Tangent 8kW
tangentmotors.com

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14005
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 19 2018 12:43am

Maybe it's already been tested, but has anyone tried the 24F model on a Sur Ron motor? If it's giving 500amps phase current and has field weakening for top-end, it should offer incredible hot-rodding potential.

Thank you VasiliSK for making such a cool controller! I wish you well, and remember all life's EV problems are solved by more phase current. The correct amount of phase current for a controller is always more!!! :-) :-) ;-)
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
VasiliSk   100 W

100 W
Posts: 153
Joined: Apr 10 2014 5:11am
Location: Russia
Contact:

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by VasiliSk » Dec 19 2018 3:12am

Thx, yes i've posted this video with surron some time before, however it needs better battery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEpM15yOwg0

ps. queues added
Last edited by VasiliSk on Dec 19 2018 3:14am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14005
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 19 2018 3:27am

If the BMS is cutting out, you can always shunt-mod it. You could also parallel RC hobby packs. With 500amps RMS phase and big field weakening for top-end, you should be able to draw battery currents >700amps without more current in the MOSFETs (if the PCB and dc caps etc didn't explode).
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.


User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14005
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 19 2018 5:46am

VasiliSk wrote:
Dec 19 2018 3:37am
it's just 60V, that's not enough for full power.
Do you have field weakening? That Sur Ron motor loves a ton of it.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.


User avatar
Merlin   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1517
Joined: Jan 29 2013 10:00am
Location: europe

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by Merlin » Dec 19 2018 7:15am

liveforphysics wrote:
Dec 19 2018 12:43am
Maybe it's already been tested, but has anyone tried the 24F model on a Sur Ron motor? If it's giving 500amps phase current and has field weakening for top-end, it should offer incredible hot-rodding potential.

Thank you VasiliSK for making such a cool controller! I wish you well, and remember all life's EV problems are solved by more phase current. The correct amount of phase current for a controller is always more!!! :-) :-) ;-)
not happy with ASIs 700a flagship? if not, share your findings plz.

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14005
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by liveforphysics » Dec 19 2018 11:41am

Merlin wrote:
Dec 19 2018 7:15am
liveforphysics wrote:
Dec 19 2018 12:43am
Maybe it's already been tested, but has anyone tried the 24F model on a Sur Ron motor? If it's giving 500amps phase current and has field weakening for top-end, it should offer incredible hot-rodding potential.

Thank you VasiliSK for making such a cool controller! I wish you well, and remember all life's EV problems are solved by more phase current. The correct amount of phase current for a controller is always more!!! :-) :-) ;-)
not happy with ASIs 700a flagship? if not, share your findings plz.

Plenty happy, but always excited to see more controller options. 500amps is likely plenty for that motor.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
ElectricGod   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2276
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 19 2018 12:43pm

liveforphysics wrote:
Dec 19 2018 11:41am
Merlin wrote:
Dec 19 2018 7:15am
liveforphysics wrote:
Dec 19 2018 12:43am
Maybe it's already been tested, but has anyone tried the 24F model on a Sur Ron motor? If it's giving 500amps phase current and has field weakening for top-end, it should offer incredible hot-rodding potential.

Thank you VasiliSK for making such a cool controller! I wish you well, and remember all life's EV problems are solved by more phase current. The correct amount of phase current for a controller is always more!!! :-) :-) ;-)
not happy with ASIs 700a flagship? if not, share your findings plz.

Plenty happy, but always excited to see more controller options. 500amps is likely plenty for that motor.
If I might ask a question about feild weakening...

I know you get more RPM's using it and also it uses more current to do it.

Do some motors have more potential for more field weakening than others and if so why?
What makes the Sur-Ron motor so good at this?
ElectricGod...it's a joke...don't take things so seriously folks!

XB-502 Moped:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1222730

Currie scooter:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p1227407

User avatar
VasiliSk   100 W

100 W
Posts: 153
Joined: Apr 10 2014 5:11am
Location: Russia
Contact:

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by VasiliSk » Dec 19 2018 12:51pm

It's not so good for this, it uses a lot of amps to get any effect.

User avatar
madin88   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2819
Joined: May 27 2013 2:02am
Location: Austria

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by madin88 » Dec 19 2018 1:16pm

ElectricGod wrote:
Dec 19 2018 12:43pm
Do some motors have more potential for more field weakening than others and if so why?
Yes, IPM motors have the best potential for field weakening because aside from a gain in RPM you can also gain torque if you add field weakening current. These motors can make additional reluctance torque due to the flux return in the rotor steel, but i think not all IPM motors have similar potential as it highly depends on the design of the rotor.

On motors with surface mounted magnets (as Surron has and most other) you can gain RPM at the cost of efficiency and they cannot produce any reluctance torque.

User avatar
ElectricGod   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2276
Joined: Nov 01 2015 5:24pm
Location: 3 OH 3

Re: Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev! [beta]

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 19 2018 4:13pm

madin88 wrote:
Dec 19 2018 1:16pm
ElectricGod wrote:
Dec 19 2018 12:43pm
Do some motors have more potential for more field weakening than others and if so why?
Yes, IPM motors have the best potential for field weakening because aside from a gain in RPM you can also gain torque if you add field weakening current. These motors can make additional reluctance torque due to the flux return in the rotor steel, but i think not all IPM motors have similar potential as it highly depends on the design of the rotor.

On motors with surface mounted magnets (as Surron has and most other) you can gain RPM at the cost of efficiency and they cannot produce any reluctance torque.
On an HLD inrunner with surface mounted magnets, I was messing with field weakening at my bench. It did spin much faster on the bench under no load. I have yet to try it under load with FW. Trying FW on a C80100 outrunner, was negligibly more RPM's under load. I think I got 20-30 more RPM at max FW with a lot more current usage. It translated to 2-3 mph more speed...not worth it for the efficiency loss.

What about axial flux motors?

Luke was pretty positive about the Sur-Ron motor having a lot of FW potential. IPM motors are not overly common except in hybrid cars.
ElectricGod...it's a joke...don't take things so seriously folks!

XB-502 Moped:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1222730

Currie scooter:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p1227407

Post Reply