5-16S Smart Tiny BMS preorder - 30/150/750A rated

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
AkifH   1 µW

1 µW

Re: 5-16S Smart Tiny BMS preorder - 30/150/750A rated

Post by AkifH » Jul 17 2018 1:04am

circuit wrote:
Jul 11 2018 3:30am
If you are having problems, please drop an email to support at energusps.com, try to include as much information as possible in the initial email, as sometimes it is very hard to diagnose remotely, going through tens of emails.
FYI, after 6 days since my e-mail to your support team, still there is no reply.

Samil   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Samil » Aug 04 2018 7:32am

circuit wrote:
Jul 11 2018 6:58am
I have just discussed this non-start issue with our engineer and he confirmed there are some compatibility problems with some "smart" chargers, which mentioned MeanWell is. It works fine with usual CCCV power supplies, but smarter devices sometimes struggle, as we get two smart devices toggling each other and missing the window to turn on.
Hi Circuit,

Do you have any firmware update for the charging detection?

Here some details how MeanWell smart charger detects/check the battery pack. (Example is given for 12V battery pack)

"Initial stage (battery analysis): If the detected voltage level is within the range of 5~13.2V then charging will commence. If the battery is not connected (<5V) or it is already full (>13.2V), no charge will be provided. If the voltage is within normal range, pulse current will be provided to determine whether or not the battery is OK. Pulse current level <10A will be considered as faulty."

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product ... BkZg==&a=4

Thanks.

Altair   100 W

100 W

Post by Altair » Aug 21 2018 9:39am

circuit wrote:
Sep 18 2017 3:25am
BMS1 wrote:I'm wondering the same. @circuit, could you explain a bit more about the ignition feature? I would expect that once activated via the windows software, the BMS would shut down the load outputs if the selected ignition input is held low, and it would reactivate the load, once the ignition input is pulled up. Is that correct?

Do I simply tie the input to Bat+ or should I use a resistor divider? It seems all inputs are 70V tolerant.

If the ignition input is held low, will the +5V output on the USART connector shut down as well? I'm planning to use this output to add an info screen, but I would not want that MODBUS requests would keep the BMS awake despite the state of the ignition input.
You are right on everything. When ignition function enabled, it will control load switch. All inputs will take voltage up to B+, but it is is recommended to add a small fuse or current limiting resistor to protect in case of misconfiguration, since these can also be outputs.
5V is switched off during "off" state to offer excellent quiescent current (70μA).
Another question about the ignition feature, I would like to run the ignition switch from the 5V supply (pin 9 on the connector) instead of BATT+, but I wonder if that 5V will also be switched off once the BMS is in the "OFF" state. That would prevent me from being able to switch it back ON...

jonasforssell   1 µW

1 µW

Post by jonasforssell » Aug 22 2018 10:16am

The TinyBMS seems to be a neat little BMS. I'm planning to use the 750A setup.

I have a 48V setup where the motor is controlled via CAN and the only additional input I require is the accelerator pedal signal which could be an analogue 0-5 value. I now have a couple of questions.

1. If I have another external current sensor, can I reconfigure the sensor calibration values in the firmware?

2. What is the current- and voltage capability of the external relay port?

3. Is it possible to use the TinyBMS extra input ports for the accelerator pedal and extend the firmware to include the required commands to control my motor? I am an experienced Arduino programmer.

The result would be that I have all I need in the TinyBMS. Neat and clean.

However to do this either the firmware must be accessable to modify or extend - or the feature is already available.

Thanks
/Jonas

DaDo.Bzz   100 W

100 W

Post by DaDo.Bzz » Aug 26 2018 5:11pm

Freemann wrote:
Sep 04 2017 9:56am
vex_zg wrote:
Freemann wrote:
And there are also some customers who developed a quick LED display to only show the SOC...
Could you share some info about this? Also looking for such a simple solution for SOC status.
Also I can suggest that some basic info about typical installations is put on your site: right now there are x products to buy but it is not that obvious what are all the parts user actually needs to complete an installation and what are parts used for. Also I think it is good to describe what a part is used for, not just list specs (for example the 75/750A LEM sensor).

Also shopping cart might have a bug: I don't see a way to remove an item from it. Reducing amount to zero does not wok. There is no "remove" option for an item.

My immediate question: the 75/750A LEM sensor is only needed if you need more than 150A, right? Is there some use case which that can be used below 150A ?

Edit: one last question: what will die on the board if main Vbat+ and Vbat- are disconnected before balance leads? What is the worst case scenario damage, would it be covered by warranty and is it fixable by the user who is skilled with smd reflow?
I'm running my EScooter now for about 7 month with the TinyBMS 150A, KellyController KLSKLS7230S and an 3kW Hub.
All is running very smooth and after some help from Circuit it was very "easy" to get the TinyBMS running. In the past month I installed some firmware updates and thats also very easy to deploy.

I'm also a bit disappointed about the Android/Windows combination to get the the system running and monitored. You need an Windows PC to get the thing running (Kelly controller has a very basic Android App to change thing on the fly, very easy!!), but also need an Windows PC to change settings and(!!) for detailed monitoring of the BMS.
Also not having an option to connect both the serial and BT cable simoultaniously makes it very hard to use the Android and next to the Windows PC app for configuration.
My TinyBMS is deep inside my scooter and it takes me 10-15min. for changing from BT so serial cable.

Besides all this, TinyBMS is a awesome(!!) product and Circuit (energus) is doing a awesome(!!!!!) job with lightning fast support on there products!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm loving it!!
Use BT serial port emulation to get connected to Windows App.
LMX 81, 16S6P 60A
BBS02 on Cannondale Rz 120
BBSHD on CTM Scroll, XTR Di2, 700Wh 52V
Slovakia, Bratislava

Altair   100 W

100 W

Post by Altair » Aug 31 2018 12:26pm

Is Battery Insider V2.5.0.5 the one that is supposed to be BT-compatible, or are we waiting for a newer version?
Do you plan to have a smartphone version of Battery Insider in the near future?

DaDo.Bzz   100 W

100 W

Post by DaDo.Bzz » Sep 15 2018 10:21am

Altair wrote:
Aug 31 2018 12:26pm
Is Battery Insider V2.5.0.5 the one that is supposed to be BT-compatible, or are we waiting for a newer version?
Do you plan to have a smartphone version of Battery Insider in the near future?
When u setup BT and pair in Windows, it emulates COM port, so you can connect.
LMX 81, 16S6P 60A
BBS02 on Cannondale Rz 120
BBSHD on CTM Scroll, XTR Di2, 700Wh 52V
Slovakia, Bratislava

glyndwr   10 mW

10 mW

Post by glyndwr » Sep 21 2018 5:11am

Hi all,

I am looking at the tiny bms for a house AC coupled battery storage solution, and am looking for alittle help / advice on this bms.

My load and charger are the same, ie, the AC coupled 3kw inverter / charger.

The external current measurement is not really required, as the inverter charger has its own wifi data that shiws battery voltage and current at the time, and whether its charging or dicharging.

So, i only really need the bms to monitor the cells and balance accordingly, and 12v relay output to operate ev grade contactors on both the +ve and -ve battery terminals, to disonnect the battery in the event of a cell failure.

Although i have just read in this thread that the cells should NEVER be left connected if the b+ and b- are NOT connected.

Will this bms work in my application ok, or should i consider an alternative product.

Many thanks
glyndwr

TilmanBaumann   10 W

10 W

Post by TilmanBaumann » Oct 30 2018 5:02am

I love this little BMS.
How you get firmware upgrades is a bit funky, but the rest is fantastic.
It's the only small-ish BMS I could find that would work with external current sensors and external contactors. (High current applications like e-motorbikes)
It's just a shame it only goes to 16S

Altair   100 W

100 W

Post by Altair » Oct 30 2018 7:01am

glyndwr, I'm not sure you will get an answer from the manufacturer. They seem to have abandonned this forum, they haven't been here since July. There have been many unanswered questions since then. :(

cricketo   100 W

100 W

Post by cricketo » Nov 21 2018 1:11am

glyndwr wrote:
Sep 21 2018 5:11am
Hi all,

I am looking at the tiny bms for a house AC coupled battery storage solution, and am looking for alittle help / advice on this bms.

My load and charger are the same, ie, the AC coupled 3kw inverter / charger.

The external current measurement is not really required, as the inverter charger has its own wifi data that shiws battery voltage and current at the time, and whether its charging or dicharging.

So, i only really need the bms to monitor the cells and balance accordingly, and 12v relay output to operate ev grade contactors on both the +ve and -ve battery terminals, to disonnect the battery in the event of a cell failure.

Although i have just read in this thread that the cells should NEVER be left connected if the b+ and b- are NOT connected.

Will this bms work in my application ok, or should i consider an alternative product.

Many thanks
glyndwr
Late response, but I was just in communication with the manufacturer, and they sent me a user manual that describes "single port" operation for such use cases. Basically yes, it should work.

Altair   100 W

100 W

Post by Altair » Nov 21 2018 9:02am

Thanks for the update!
If you get in contact with them again, please tell them to post that "User Manual" somewhere, because I can't find it anywhere.