BBSHD & BBS02 Build Competition for Dillenger Switcheroonie!

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Dillenger_Australia   10 W

10 W

BBSHD & BBS02 Build Competition for Dillenger Switcheroonie!

Post by Dillenger_Australia » Apr 27 2016 8:31pm

5 Dillenger Switcheroonie's to be given away!

Here at Dillenger we have been hard at work developing a device it seems many of you have been after for your BBSHD and BBS02 kits!

The Dillenger Switcheroonie is a portable re-programmer you can take on your rides to easily switch between parameter settings. The Dillenger Switcheroonie allows you to re-program your controller between a variety of custom mapping programs ranging from 250W pedelec to 1000W mode to fully unleash the potential of your kit!

It allows you to re-program the Bafang kits without the requirement of a re-programming cable and lugging around a laptop! Simply plug in the Switcheroonie to your controllers green 5-pin plug and the Switcheroonie will tell you which motor is connected and what mode is active. Once connected, you can select your preferred mode and configure the bike before you ride away at the programmed setting!

Image Image Image

We are looking to give away 5 of these units to the best BBSHD and BBS02 conversions we see posted to this thread. So get your pictures out of your fancy builds and we will decide the winner in a weeks time! Open to any location and will post out the device to the lucky winners, we would love to heard your feedback on the product. It will be up for sale in the coming weeks so stay tuned for updates!

The Switcheroonie is compatible with:
- Bafang BBS HD1000 kits
- Bafang BBS02 kits
- Dillenger Hunter HD
- Dillenger Hunter Hub
- Dillenger Hunter BBS02

Best of luck,
Adam

MikeG.6.5   10 µW

10 µW

Re: BBSHD & BBS02 Build Competition for Dillenger Switcheroo

Post by MikeG.6.5 » Apr 28 2016 12:56am

I'll bite!

Might not be the best, but certainly unique....

KINNINVIEKID   1 kW

1 kW

Post by KINNINVIEKID » Apr 28 2016 3:29am

Mine

I do lots of off and on road riding so this would be really handy for me.
BBSHD on 2017 Marin Muirwoods
BBS02 on Cannondale Trail 6
Dillenger 1000 watt front wheel kit on Trax TFS1 MTB.
250 watt chinese scooter!
Cyclamatic Power Plus 250 watt road bike.

tommie   10 W

10 W

Post by tommie » Apr 28 2016 5:37am

Wouldn`t mind one over here in Ireland!
KINNINVIEKID wrote:
I do lots of off and on road riding so this would be really handy for me.
Yes, same here, a mode for off road and one for public highway, is that possible?

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » Apr 28 2016 5:25pm

tommie wrote:Wouldn`t mind one over here in Ireland!

Yes, same here, a mode for off road and one for public highway, is that possible?
Certainly is,

We have it designed currently to meet the Australian and UK design regulations as per EN15194, but defiantly possible to reconfigure for the USA market. What are some modes that would be ideal for you guys?

750W Street Mode (750W output, with/without throttle?, Max assist speed of 20mph)
350W Street Mode (350W output, with/without throttle?, Max assist speed of 20mph) to replace 250W legal mode for USA market.

Do these modes sound appealing?

Current modes that exist are 250W Pedelec (no throttle, 25kph), 250W (throttle, 25kph), 500W,750W,1000W (all off-road above 250W).

The BBS02 configurations are de-tuned a little from the maximum 25A the controller can output when set to 750W mode because of the known issues they have when running max current. however, the unlimited mode sets 25A max so the option is there for you to take.

What are your thoughts on modes to include to the device?

The Switcheroonie also records the settings programmed for wheel size and speed sensor type, so you can keep your existing parameters for your fatbike or 20" model that gives you accurate speed signals.

- Adam

MikeG.6.5   10 µW

10 µW

Post by MikeG.6.5 » Apr 28 2016 9:16pm

I'm running mine at 22A now, and the same settings other than that that Luna had when I bought this controller from them, with one notable exception. Washington State has a speed limit of 20mph, so I set that as the max on the firmware, not in the display.

Most of the US market has a limit of 750W, though, not 250W. The Federal guidelines for e-bikes says that 750W and 20mph or less isn't classified as a motor vehicle, but as an assisted human powered vehicle. Several states also fall into this guideline. So to stay legal in the US (at least most of it.) these are the criteria. And for the power output that is MANUFACTURER's sticker, not what it has been detuned to, for the most part.... In Washington, where I live, the max motor size is 1KW, as is Oregon and maybe one or two other states.

I guess to keep it simple, I would be using something like this there would be a legal setting, for when I'm around people, and then a much more aggressive setting, when I'm out and about in the wilds, or the MUPS away from people.

I do have to ask, though... Does this plug into the main wiring harness in place of the display, or does it go in-line with the display. In other words, does the display plug into this unit and this unit plug into the harness. So changes could be made "on the fly" so to speak, as opposed to having to pull over and make changes to the settings.

waynebergman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Apr 28 2016 9:44pm

dec14b.jpg
dec14b.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
DSCN7859.jpg
DSCN7859.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
I never refuse an act of kindness when it comes to free stuff...........

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » Apr 28 2016 10:58pm

MikeG.6.5 wrote:I'm running mine at 22A now, and the same settings other than that that Luna had when I bought this controller from them, with one notable exception. Washington State has a speed limit of 20mph, so I set that as the max on the firmware, not in the display.

Most of the US market has a limit of 750W, though, not 250W. The Federal guidelines for e-bikes says that 750W and 20mph or less isn't classified as a motor vehicle, but as an assisted human powered vehicle. Several states also fall into this guideline. So to stay legal in the US (at least most of it.) these are the criteria. And for the power output that is MANUFACTURER's sticker, not what it has been detuned to, for the most part.... In Washington, where I live, the max motor size is 1KW, as is Oregon and maybe one or two other states.

I guess to keep it simple, I would be using something like this there would be a legal setting, for when I'm around people, and then a much more aggressive setting, when I'm out and about in the wilds, or the MUPS away from people.

I do have to ask, though... Does this plug into the main wiring harness in place of the display, or does it go in-line with the display. In other words, does the display plug into this unit and this unit plug into the harness. So changes could be made "on the fly" so to speak, as opposed to having to pull over and make changes to the settings.

Interesting points,

We first developed the idea around the Australian market because we do have the bigger gap between what is classified as street legal (250W) and the available power of the 02 and HD units. So the USA market of the device was really only to limit the HD between 1000W and 750W to comply with the legal issue of 750W output and also allow the user to run the BBS02 and HD at lower settings to preserve life of the device and to be a little less aggressive while riding on-road.

Our sales with conversion kits in the states is around 50% 350W kits and 50% 1000W so there is defiantly people out there interested in a switchable 350W mode.

The issue comes with the USA having a variety of regulations changing from state to state. So we will need to make it viable across the whole range of governing rules. We could consider implementing:

2 street legal modes (20mph max) at 350W and 750W to choose from, allowing for more power if desired or more range with the lower setting.

3 off-road modes (500W, 750W and unlimited) where the 750 is the factory 22A you mentioned earlier which most BBS02's are configured to by default and the unlimited the 25A mode.

The max speed settings on the devices will be set in the software as opposed to the display to limit any confusion and not require the user to change setting while programming.

The Switcheroonie at the moment will require you to unplug your display and plug the device in. So currently its not a "on the fly" style programmer. The bike has to be stopped to program. In future models, we may implement a way of having the device in-line to allow this type of program style but this model does not.

Nice looking fatbike waynebergman, we have a similar guard on our new Hunter HD's to tie in the design and protect the motor a bit also.

KINNINVIEKID, how many Amp-hours are we talking there!? looks like lots of batteries!

- Adam

brucemetras   10 mW

10 mW

Post by brucemetras » Apr 29 2016 9:35am

Here's my entry... not quite the norm, but a very effective utilization of the BBS02 .. Pacific Reach road frame.. front and rear suspension on 451 wheels.. 52t chainring, 11/28 9 speed in the rear and a ready to ride bike weight of 41lbs with rack .. normal mileage is around 100 miles/week .. I have it geared so that I top out at just over 100 rpm cadence with a speed of 30mph .. typical speeds for me are mid/20s and an average cadence of 85rpm while generally riding using 150 to 400 watts ... range with the 52v 11.5ah rectangular battery has been well over 45 miles at 10 to 14 watt/mile depending on wind conditions riding somewhat hilly roads .. I don't use a throttle.. being able to program PAS settings easily would be a big plus for me as I could further tune my ride

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » May 02 2016 5:45pm

brucemetras wrote: .. I don't use a throttle.. being able to program PAS settings easily would be a big plus for me as I could further tune my ride
The first edition of this programmer will not allow for in-depth re-programming of specific parameters such as pas levels or throttle start current etc, but provide the user with mapping settings to change between the overall output power of the devices. The map setting are loosely set around the tuning parameters set-out by ES user Kepler and his recommendations in keeping BBS motors alive and working well. However we may consider implementing a "Switcheroonie Pro" style programmer in the future if the desire exists, that could allow for modification of each specific parameter.

Great bikes guys, brucemetras your setup is indeed different, but very interesting. How many miles have you clocked up on that build?

Dazza22345   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Dazza22345 » May 03 2016 12:30am

I know is not listed, but considering the hunter with the 1000w rear hub is listed i'll ask anyways.
Would this work with the 1500w rear hub kit you sell on the uk store?
many thanks

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » May 03 2016 1:21am

Dazza22345 wrote:I know is not listed, but considering the hunter with the 1000w rear hub is listed i'll ask anyways.
Would this work with the 1500w rear hub kit you sell on the uk store?
many thanks
We are looking to include the next generation of 1500W kits to be a switchable product but the current model of 1500W kits will not be compatible unfortunately as they are a different style of controller.

- Adam

brucemetras   10 mW

10 mW

Post by brucemetras » May 03 2016 9:19am

Dillenger_Australia wrote:
Great bikes guys, brucemetras your setup is indeed different, but very interesting. How many miles have you clocked up on that build?
I'm coming up on 1500miles.. run the bike most everyday .. I have a shop working on Alfa Romeos for the last 4 decades .. one of the services I offer is pickup and delivery .. mostly within a 15 mile radius.. the Pacific Reach fits behind the seats of an Alfa Spider nicely .. with the motor assistance, my shuttle times have decreased significantly.. no issues yet with the bike.. fingers crossed as I really like it...

Dazza22345   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Dazza22345 » May 03 2016 2:26pm

Ok no worries, thankyou for responding

ttobiassen   100 mW

100 mW

Post by ttobiassen » May 03 2016 4:36pm

What goes almost 30mph, has a 400lb cargo capacity, and a sweet *stance*? A BBS02 Yuba Mundo (v4) build with 3.5" Fat tires, a 13S Samsung 25R pack, and an 8-speed IGH!

This project has been all over the place since inception, but my goal with having a bottom bracket drive was to have the gearing to haul myself and a 200lb passenger up a 15% grade hill (I live in Pittsburgh, PA) without overheating, even if it meant I had to go fairly slowly. With just me on the bike, I can climb that hill at 12-15mph (no pedaling) in speed 3, and in testing with a 250lb passenger I can climb at 8-9 mph in gear 1. Comparing this to my previous hubmotor builds, I'm able to go much faster and up much steeper hills with less overall consumption. Plus, changing gears is actually pretty fun.

To get the gearing I wanted, I designed, computer-simulation-load-tested, and CNC machined a custom spider (with lasercut polycarbonate chain bash guard) to allow me to hotswap 110 BCD chainrings to change my offset and final drive ratio. I'm running a 33T chainring right now.

I added a 48V-12V DC-DC converter to be able to run 12V accessories (cheap!), which so far include 12V underwater pool lights with 3D printed brackets and LED strip lighting for nighttime visibility, and in the future would include a 12V compressor to be able to change my tire pressure between one-man street cruising, fully-loaded-with-passenger, and off-road duties with the fat tires.

Hope you like it!
Attachments
20150417_195953.jpg
20150417_200309.jpg
20150425_163037.jpg
20150609_180612.jpg
20150325_175857_small.jpg
20150425_160648.jpg
was going to put a racing seat on it for a passenger during Pittsburgh's "Keg Ride"

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » May 09 2016 4:34pm

It looks like we have some winners on this post. In no particular order the following ES users will be receiving their new Switcheroonie in the mail:
- KINNINVIEKID
- waynebergman
- brucemetras
- ttobiassen
- MikeG.6.5

I will send off a PM to the lucky winners to inform them and to get some information off them regarding postage.

Let us know any specific map programs to include on the USA edition, were currently including programs to abide withe the three classes of electric vehicles in California, as at least one of the three classes can be suitable for many of the broad laws state to state. This seems to make the most sense to us!

- Adam

bitbox   1 µW

1 µW

Post by bitbox » May 10 2016 9:33pm

Hello,

This is quite an interesting little beast !
Been looking around on your website but it doesn't seem to be available yet.

Do you guys already have a public release date ?

Thanks.

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » May 11 2016 1:48am

bitbox wrote:Hello,

Thanks.
Hi bitbox,

We havent decided yet on a release date, we will have to do up the website page with some photos and information about the device in due time. We were really looking to get some feedback from ES users first before we released it to the public so hence the thread giving some away!

But i believe it should be up and available for sale towards the end of the month or early June.

Best Regards,
Adam

dumbass   100 kW

100 kW

Post by dumbass » May 11 2016 8:11pm

bitbox wrote:Hello,

Thanks.
Hi bitbox,

We havent decided yet on a release date, we will have to do up the website page with some photos and information about the device in due time. We were really looking to get some feedback from ES users first before we released it to the public so hence the thread giving some away!

But i believe it should be up and available for sale towards the end of the month or early June.

Best Regards,
Adam
And do you have a price decided on yet?

Bob

oneoone   1 mW

1 mW

Post by oneoone » May 11 2016 9:02pm

This is exactly what is needed for us kiwis in New Zealand! I am a QA tester by trade and would be more than happy to give feedback and report any defects found if you would like to flick us a sample product.

Here is a pic of my baby (BBSHD with a 14s6p 30q 17.7Ah em3ev triangle pack on a Specialzed Epic Comp 2006 with full suspension and hydraulic disc brakes)

Thanks

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » May 11 2016 9:21pm

And do you have a price decided on yet?

Bob
Hi Bob,

We will retail the Switcheroonie at $99AUD when selected as a add-on with a kit purchase through us. Or at $149AUD as a standalone product.

-Adam
Last edited by Dillenger_Australia on May 11 2016 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneoone   1 mW

1 mW

Post by oneoone » May 11 2016 10:48pm

Is there a lock function that will disable peddling?

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » May 11 2016 10:58pm

oneoone wrote:Is there a lock function that will disable peddling?
I'm not sure i follow what you mean by that,

PAS 0 level will have no pedal assistance but the throttle is sill operational in modes that have throttle. If that's what you mean by disable pedaling.

-Adam

oneoone   1 mW

1 mW

Post by oneoone » May 11 2016 11:16pm

oneoone wrote:Is there a lock function that will disable peddling?
I'm not sure i follow what you mean by that,

PAS 0 level will have no pedal assistance but the throttle is sill operational in modes that have throttle. If that's what you mean by disable pedaling.

-Adam
I was hoping there would be some sort of function that would lock the motor from rotating at all.. It could be used as a theft deterrent. If you can't pedal a bike, there would be less chance of someone stealing it

10 W

Post by Dillenger_Australia » May 12 2016 1:04am

oneoone wrote:
I was hoping there would be some sort of function that would lock the motor from rotating at all.. It could be used as a theft deterrent. If you can't pedal a bike, there would be less chance of someone stealing it
It's a bit hard to do, considering the BBS motors have a internal clutch that allows you to pedal the bike without turning over the motor and gearbox so even if your motor was locked, the cranks would still turn like a normal bike would unfortunately. Only method this could work would be on a DD hub but that would require external hardware to be installed to the bike so you might as well run a bike lock!

-Adam