Smartphone EV trip dashboard + NAV - Android/iOS - $119

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Powervelocity.com   10 kW

10 kW

Smartphone EV trip dashboard + NAV - Android/iOS - $119

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 03 2017 4:31am

10/21/2018

An overview of the app changes and new features.

9/20/2018

Because a few people requested this feature, we are adding the following via a software update in the next few days:
- 0 to 30 acceleration time measurement
- 0 to 60 acceleration time measurement

Voltage sag and amp peak measurement functions are also moved from the app to the module. That means you don't have to run the app to track those and it will always be available once you connect the phone.

Stay tuned.

6/14/2018
This is a sneak peek of the NAV integration that's coming in the next version of the app. Even though modules sell very well as is, we wanted to add a bit extra as a thank you for our early supporters that helped and continue help making this project a success.

Some feature highlights:
- Navigation function (obviously);
- Power consumption and regeneration gauge;
- Speedo (pickup from halls, sensor via BT module, not GPS);
- Trip distance counter;
- State of charge and range left;
- Charge and range left upon arrival to destination.

Suggestions are welcome what other info you would like to see on this screen. The regular dashboard is still available and switchable with a swipe on the screen. I wanted to keep the NAV screen as clean as possible but open to suggestions.

nav.png
nav.png (289.4 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

5/17/2018
- Day and night color theme are added for improved visibility and readability. Three selections are available: Day, Night, or Auto.
Day and Night will manually switch the color scheme you like and Auto will select color scheme automagically based on the ambient light.

- Voltage sag and Max Amps now available on both Android and iOS.
- Dashboard is tweaked a bit to give it a cleaner look.

File_001 (2).png
File_001 (2).png (46.77 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
File_001 (3).png
File_001 (3).png (51.28 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
File_001 (4).png
File_001 (4).png (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
File_001.png
File_001.png (45.14 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
5/7/2018
Starting May 1, 2018, all BT modules are external for ease of use. Plug and play with CA connectors. More details to come soon.

Here is the connection diagram for now:
BT_external_1_s.png
BT_external_1_s.png (258.08 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
BT_external_2_s.png
BT_external_2_s.png (161.08 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

3/1/2018

Voltage MIN and Amp MAX are now added. Sounds like it was a critical feature to have for some people, so, there you have it.

min_max.png
min_max.png (56.07 KiB) Viewed 2096 times

2/15/2018

Both iOS and Android versions have been updated - please make sure to pull the latest build from the App Store or Google Play.

What is added or changed:

- Bluetooth module firmware update is now implemented. This is a big one as it now opens up possibilities to quickly push updates and fixes to already deployed modules right from within the app. If an update is available for your device, it will pop up in Settings section. Only modules with dashboard made after Sept 2017 support this functionality.
- Fixed error "Input data string is incorrect format" when a non-English language is selected;
- Bluetooth auto reconnection logic Improved;
- Temperature scale switch is now a standalone setting;
- Gear reduction ratio setting is added for speed calculations.

12/30/2017

A couple of minor enhancements:
- Temperature scale (Centigrade/Fahrenheit) is now a separate setting (does not depend on unit setting);
- Gear ratio setting is added for speed calculations. This would be useful for middrives and other non-direct-drive motor setups.

11/8/2017

Since a few people asked, here is a quick demo of the dashboard in action. There some debug data added in the right upper corner - it's taken out in the production release of the app.

10/18/2017
For Android users, if you have the app already installed, please uninstall and reinstall it from Google Play to ensure you are getting updates.
We had to pull the original version of the app from the google play, so if you had that one installed, no updates will be available. This is one tine thing and will not need to be done in the future.

10/6/2017
iOS version of the app is now available for download in the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/powerve ... 01461?mt=8

It already comes with temperature monitoring. The Android version will be updated in Google Play to include temperature gauges in a bit.

10/3/2017
Temperature monitoring is now standard on all controllers shipped with dashboard functionality. Overheat protection is being added via the software update.

9/22/2017

A quick overview of the Programmer portion of the app.

9/10/2017 Update:
The app is now available in Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ity.EVdash
Will soon be released in the Apple Store.

Demo_dash.png
Demo_dash.png (49.94 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
It's been a while since we've started working on this project and finally have something to show. Thanks to members of the ES community for the inspiration and special credits to Richard Fechter and Richard Kenders for your sizable contribution to this project.

Let's start with some basics.

Why use smartphone and Bluetooth for this?
- Smartphones are widely available (try to find someone within your circle that's doesn't have one these days);
- Infinitely expandable platform;
- Unlimited integration capabilities;
- No wires, convenient and easy to use;
- Lots of other things that are too long to list.

Currently implemented features:
- Speedometer (via hall sensor output);
- RPM monitoring;
- Voltage monitoring;
- Load current monitoring (via resistance shunt);
- Positive and negative (regen) power monitoring (measured in kW);
- Battery pack charge status monitoring;
- Three trip meters: non-reset-able odometer, auto-resetable counter since last charge, and user-resetable trip meter;
- Power efficiency calculator (wh/mile or km);
- Range left estimation;
- Smartphone-independent counters and calculations (data is accumulated by the BT module regardless whether the smartphone is running or not);
- Automatic Bluetooth connection and reconnection;
- Controller programming (PV controllers currently supported);
- BT module upgradable wirelessly from a BT-equipped laptop.

What's planned or considered for future implementation:
- 2x temperature monitoring inputs;
- Day and night mode color/contrast scheme;
- BMS integration (Cell level voltage monitoring, etc);
- security/theft prevention/lojack features;
- Over the air BT module firmware upgrades;
- lots of other things. Most will be done via software updates.

Availability
Will be limited in the first few weeks until we ramp up production. Will be offered mostly as an add-on to newly purchased controllers and existing owners of PV controllers. Finally, will be offered as a standalone product that can be used with other controllers.

Pricing
Standalone modules (sold separately without controllers) are $119 plus shipping. Android/iOS apps are included.
Sold together with controllers, the price is $99.

Here are some more screenshots:
Demo_dash2.png
Demo_dash2.png (49.99 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
settings.png
settings.png (34.34 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
programmer.png
programmer.png (36.48 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Attachments
File_001 (3).png
File_001 (3).png (51.28 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
File_001 (4).png
File_001 (4).png (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
File_001.png
File_001.png (45.14 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Last edited by Powervelocity.com on Oct 21 2018 9:46pm, edited 35 times in total.

Emoto   1 kW

1 kW

Re: Smartphone EV trip dashboard - Android/iOS - $99

Post by Emoto » Aug 03 2017 8:43am

Very awesome, id love to see a dedicated logging screen , [user-resetable] max / min for pack voltage , cell voltages , temps, anything else you could come up with would be jam. :D

davideserin   10 mW

10 mW

Post by davideserin » Aug 21 2017 10:30am

Very interested. Can you upload some pics of the shunt/hardware that would need to be installed? Is it just connected between battery and controller? I'm using a Phaserunner, but very interested in the phone connectivity. Reserved!

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 21 2017 10:55am

I provide the hardware. The current can be measured across a shunt.
davideserin wrote:Very interested. Can you upload some pics of the shunt/hardware that would need to be installed? Is it just connected between battery and controller? I'm using a Phaserunner, but very interested in the phone connectivity. Reserved!

Jestronix   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Jestronix » Aug 26 2017 7:00pm

This is fast becoming a CA killer. Do I mount my CA for my new build ? Or go with this? Or both :)

Sunlight visibility is the only thing that would hold me back on just the phone option. I'll probably run both.

Will the controller integrated ones utilise the onboard shunt ? The less I can hang outside the controller the easier it is to controller water ingress and it's far more tidy.

On my old controller I had to run a giant shunt for the ca for 100amps, do you have a light one in mind if it's external ?

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 27 2017 11:27pm

With my controllers, this will be an integrated solution, that is installed inside, nothing dangling.
An external version is plug and play with the CA connector.
On new phones, sunlight is not much of an issue. I am planning to add high contrast day and night modes.
Jestronix wrote:This is fast becoming a CA killer. Do I mount my CA for my new build ? Or go with this? Or both :)

Sunlight visibility is the only thing that would hold me back on just the phone option. I'll probably run both.

Will the controller integrated ones utilise the onboard shunt ? The less I can hang outside the controller the easier it is to controller water ingress and it's far more tidy.

On my old controller I had to run a giant shunt for the ca for 100amps, do you have a light one in mind if it's external ?

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Aug 28 2017 1:23am

I already have a 1000amp (50mV at 1kA) shunt wired into my Zero DSR running 28s (117vdc peak).

If you want it test it in a high current high power system I'm happy to help and also local in California.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 28 2017 2:20pm

Sure, would love to have it tested on a motorcycle.
Wow, that shunt is a bit low resolution. 50mv at 1kA is 0.05mv per 1A. I am using 16 bit resolution for shunt voltage drop measurements, so that is capable of 0.03mv per unit of measurement without amplification. That's a precision of 0.6A.

With 8x gain applied to the signal which can be done programmatically (no extra hardware required), the precision can be improved to 0.075A. Pretty good in theory but may be different under the real world conditions. Need to test!
liveforphysics wrote:I already have a 1000amp (50mV at 1kA) shunt wired into my Zero DSR running 28s (117vdc peak).

If you want it test it in a high current high power system I'm happy to help and also local in California.

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Aug 28 2017 4:36pm

Powervelocity.com wrote:Sure, would love to have it tested on a motorcycle.
Wow, that shunt is a bit low resolution. 50mv at 1kA is 0.05mv per 1A. I am using 16 bit resolution for shunt voltage drop measurements, so that is capable of 0.03mv per unit of measurement without amplification. That's a precision of 0.6A.

With 8x gain applied to the signal which can be done programmatically (no extra hardware required), the precision can be improved to 0.075A. Pretty good in theory but may be different under the real world conditions. Need to test!
liveforphysics wrote:I already have a 1000amp (50mV at 1kA) shunt wired into my Zero DSR running 28s (117vdc peak).

It is low resolution, but the shunt steps went 800A up to 1000A, and I'm already at 850A and going to copy Arlo1s dual controller setup to be over 1,100-1,200A soon.

My charge current is 350A max, so you could asymmetrically scale the A2D centerpoint to recover resolution.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

Jestronix   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Jestronix » Aug 29 2017 6:19am

Are we able to have peaks displayed , like kw, temp , volt sag and regen etc. ? Also My dream of cell monitoring up on the dash, without buying an Adaptto ? With alarms to boot :) getting carried away now :)

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 29 2017 12:21pm

Yes, max and min are easy to implement. I'll add them later on via software update. Just working now to squash all major bugs and get the main dashboard functionality to the market finally.

Regarding the cell-level monitoring, I have the hardware lined up and tested for up to 30s and 200A. It will be a matter of expanding the software functionality and just adding the BMS later on. I already have complete battery packs with BMSes that will be supported in the smaprtphone app.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 31&t=89020

Jestronix wrote:Are we able to have peaks displayed , like kw, temp , volt sag and regen etc. ? Also My dream of cell monitoring up on the dash, without buying an Adaptto ? With alarms to boot :) getting carried away now :)

madin88   100 MW

100 MW

Post by madin88 » Aug 29 2017 1:17pm

Thats a really nice development!
Pics of the modul and how it needs to be wired up would be nice to see.
Is it a differnt kind of BT modul as the one that come with your controllers for programming?
- 10kW belt drive with Neumotor 8057: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=91144&start=50#p1377787
- Fully road legal (L1E approval) e-bike based on Votec V-FR frame
/ MXUS 3T / 17" Mitas MC11 / Adaptto Max-E / 20s12p 25R
- KTM Hardtail Pedelec / eZee V2 6T / 27,5" / Kelly KBSX @ 1,5kW / Torque PAS / CA-V3 / 13s4p Sanyo GA in Shark case

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 29 2017 1:44pm

Two types of modules: one for programming only and another one with programming and dashboard functionality (speed, voltage, amperage, consumption, etc monitoring).

The one with the dashboard is designed to be compatible with the CA plug. So, just plug and play, no wiring diagram is needed. Or, in other words, the wiring is matching the CA plug wiring. The only difference is that green wire for throttle is not used and needs to be disconnected. I am updating the connection diagram anyhow and will release it shortly.

You may also choose to make a split CA connector to run a CA and the BT module in parallel if you like.

Modules purchased together with controllers, are installed inside the controller shell to minimize the need in external wiring. Just wire the controller, pull out the phone, set your settings, mount it on the handlebar and you your ride is all set. No USB cables and laptops. Take your phone with you when you leave your bike.
madin88 wrote:Thats a really nice development!
Pics of the modul and how it needs to be wired up would be nice to see.
Is it a differnt kind of BT modul as the one that come with your controllers for programming?

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Aug 29 2017 8:24pm

Make sure your apps run display mode can run in split screen mode so a navigation app can run on the other side.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Aug 29 2017 9:43pm

Great idea, thank you for doing this, and posting it.
display mode can run in split screen mode so a navigation app can run on the other side
Also, perhaps the option to swipe back and forth to see one or the other. In split-screen mode, each half might be small, but...some riders will definitely want to see both at the same time. I'd personally just like the option to have navigation on the largest screen area possible. When I'm lost during a search for a certain address, I'm not too concerned with speed, miles traveled, watts being consumed, or battery volts...even though I definitely want those features available, and easily accessible.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On another note...the more user-friendly and intuitive you make this, the fewer customer support calls you will receive. I plan to buy this, but...I will wait a while until the first-round bugs get the rough edges knocked off...

Jestronix   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Jestronix » Aug 30 2017 6:12am

It's work like this that I love to see on the sphere:)

controller value vs features is nearing the sweet spot. Adaptto all be it good controllers and the leaders for a long time now will need to sit-up and take notice of the alternatives as their price point gets pulled down. We are smart phone addicts and love information and control at the fingertips. If I can see cell level stats I'm in heavenan if we can have the historical data, gps mixed in it starts to get freaky good :)

Well done on brining these to market, these addons to the base china units are great and the internal upgrades you add.

Excited to see what's next,

madin88   100 MW

100 MW

Post by madin88 » Aug 30 2017 11:02am

Powervelocity.com wrote: Modules purchased together with controllers, are installed inside the controller shell to minimize the need in external wiring. Just wire the controller, pull out the phone, set your settings, mount it on the handlebar and you your ride is all set. No USB cables and laptops. Take your phone with you when you leave your bike.
I would like to know if the dashboard app also works with the integrated BT module, which are (and were) part of all your controllers?
- 10kW belt drive with Neumotor 8057: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=91144&start=50#p1377787
- KTM Hardtail Pedelec / eZee V2 6T / 27,5" / Kelly KBSX @ 1,5kW / Torque PAS / CA-V3 / 13s4p Sanyo GA in Shark case

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 30 2017 12:25pm

Like I said, two versions of the module: one with programming only (this is one you purchased I believe) and another one with programming plus dashboard.
The dashboard requires extra hardware to collect data like voltage, amperage, speed, etc., hence a bit more involved and adds cost/price.

I've been embedding the programming modules on my controllers for while now. The dashboard functionality becomes available only now. It's a new module, new hardware.

Either modules can be placed inside any controller in 12F, 18F, 24F form factor. The smallest controller that you purchased does not have enough space to accommodate any modules, so needs to be wired externally. It's still pretty small, like a bit larger than a USB dongle, so not really adding much bulk.

madin88 wrote:
Powervelocity.com wrote: Modules purchased together with controllers, are installed inside the controller shell to minimize the need in external wiring. Just wire the controller, pull out the phone, set your settings, mount it on the handlebar and you your ride is all set. No USB cables and laptops. Take your phone with you when you leave your bike.
I would like to know if the dashboard app also works with the integrated BT module, which are (and were) part of all your controllers?

madin88   100 MW

100 MW

Post by madin88 » Aug 30 2017 1:49pm

Powervelocity.com wrote:Like I said, two versions of the module: one with programming only (this is one you purchased I believe) and another one with programming plus dashboard.
PM sent

cwah   10 GW

10 GW

Post by cwah » Aug 30 2017 2:45pm

Looks great.

Is $99 including the bms?
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

999zip999   100 GW

100 GW

Post by 999zip999 » Aug 30 2017 6:04pm

Jestronix next you are going want gps tracking and to be able to hear what's going on next to your bike on your phone with remote alarm and more. Done.
Can you wire up my 80v battery to my seat for remote control of Zapped for the thieves.

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 31 2017 1:19am

Tracking with remote listening is already implemented in the GPS modules I have been selling with controllers. I've used it on my bike for a couple years now. Works well.
Zapping thieves' behinds have not been implemented just yet due to legal constraints. Even thieves can't be intentionally endangered.
999zip999 wrote:Jestronix next you are going want gps tracking and to be able to hear what's going on next to your bike on your phone with remote alarm and more. Done.
Can you wire up my 80v battery to my seat for remote control of Zapped for the thieves.