Build what you ride

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
MJBrueggeman   1 µW

1 µW

Build what you ride

Post by MJBrueggeman » Sep 02 2017 9:55am

I'm the Co-Founder and CEO of Flux Mopeds. We produce small electric vehicles for short distance transportation. Our flagship is the Flux EM1, a common sense electric moped that is the optimal balance of range, charge time and speed for riding around town.

The idea of Flux Mopeds was born when my co-founder and I lived in Beijing, China and saw electric mopeds were the transportation of choice for millions of people. We wanted to bring that to the US. Where others have prototyped their own design, we felt that the focus didn't need to be on a sexy product but rather its usability. Upon an existing moped platform, we have engineered the Flux EM1 to meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards as well as the performance requirements and high reliability expectations of the American market. We now have over 60,000 client miles ridden with good feedback!

One thing that we have been blown away by is that our clients have shown interest in building their own Li-Po battery for the Flux EM1. People have found it to be a fun project upon a reliable platform that works well, is legal to register and fun to ride around town. This has prompted us to create the Flux Innovators program. Please check out our website describing this project: http://www.fluxmopeds.com/innovators/

I'm reaching out to the community to see what you think of this approach. Is there something we should add? How we could we promote it? I appreciate any and all feedback!

Offroader   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Build what you ride

Post by Offroader » Sep 02 2017 10:59pm

Isn't that a scooter and not a moped?

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Sep 03 2017 1:19am

It's an advertisement in the wrong category, is what it is.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

MJBrueggeman   1 µW

1 µW

Post by MJBrueggeman » Sep 03 2017 2:21pm

Determining what to call it has been a real challenge. We call it a moped as that is what it is registered as in all states, under a "moped" plate. Our research shows that people above 40 tend to call it a scooter and people below 40 tend to call it a moped. That is why we are settling on focusing on what people get out of it. Short distance transportation, as a bridge.

MJBrueggeman   1 µW

1 µW

Post by MJBrueggeman » Sep 03 2017 2:22pm

I'm sorry about posting in the wrong spot! It's my first time. :oops:

Htfan   100 W

100 W

Post by Htfan » Sep 05 2017 8:59am

I notice from your data sheet the motor is rated at just under 1500 watts. Do you have any specs on the controller?
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Sep 05 2017 10:57pm

I'm not sure it was in the wrong place. The mobile version of the doesn't show that there's anything to buy yet. That would make it a mere discussion if that's true. I can't even bring up what this $730 wonder looks like.

If its something like a Honda Supercub lowbone scooter/typical European 50cc moped style, it sounds fabulous at that price. But if I'm going to go 35mph, especially for 50 miles, I want the small motorcycle wheels, etc. I've built my own Walmart bike 500w that struggles to maybe reach 20mph, I'm not too insecure there. 1500w pushing 30mph on a OCC Cruiser or the old XGames bike did not prove a happy thing, they aren't suited to the speed. I felt better on the Razor dirt bike with small yet real motorcycle construction at the same speeds.

I never had a new moped, everyone I ever had was an old one I fixed, still have my Flying Dutchman but also liked the Honda Hobbit, Cimatti City bike, as well as other indefinite makes. The Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' was the least stable but still better than the electrics I built. Or the eCycle Dashes I collected and fixed, when I got over 10mph going downhill (Only way I could) I was taking my life in my hands. Even that Boy that was too small for me felt secure because it was a Vespa style build. I could have been fine with a larger 1500w version.

I obviously want to make the point that I need a solid platform to top 20mph. Even when I've built the Chinagirl moped kit onto a beach cruiser for people, I've felt better on a steel frame with wide rims, pretzel types made me nervous. But can you really deliver the bike I'd want to go 35 on for $730? I care more about the solid platform than the 1500w.
Last edited by Dauntless on Sep 06 2017 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Sep 06 2017 12:57am

Well there's this old thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 31&t=56330
by another co-founder of the company. He never posted any pics in the thread, but he posted a yt vid somewhere in the thread that shows their first model (dunno if they have any others). Visually it looks pretty much just like all the many various small-wheeled scooters out there, in the side view that comes up as the vid starts. I didn't watch any further, was just making sure the vid still worked.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Sep 06 2017 1:07am

Ah, this looks much different on the computer than the phone. So it's the battery that's $730? On the phone it looks like it's the Flux EM1. I thought they were selling a kit bike.

I see no pedals. I'd call it a scooter. It does look like it could be a good 30mph bike, though.

I think most people need to keep their hands OFF the building of a battery. The people on ES building their own power are mostly building their own bikes to begin with.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

mark5   100 kW

100 kW

Post by mark5 » Sep 06 2017 1:15am

Fluxmoped's "Build what you ride" webpage shows this video:

Benjamin Nelson's Nissan Leaf Battery in a scooter Teaser video

Also see:
Leaf Cells in a Scooter by Ben N
http://300mpg.org/2016/06/02/leaf-cells-in-a-scooter/

poepad205   1 µW

1 µW

Post by poepad205 » Apr 25 2018 4:43pm

Has anyone bought one of these bikes yet?