I did it - I launched my Bafang Ultra based ebike! Also selling Bafang Ultra spares !

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

I did it - I launched my Bafang Ultra based ebike! Also selling Bafang Ultra spares !

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 17 2019 6:22pm

Inspired by the cool things that @spinningmagnets and karl@electricbike-blog did, I set out to building something cool! Thanks for all the excellent feedback, comments and constructive criticism.

After tons of hardwork in sizing, negotiating, welding, building, assembling, and making it a solid product, I am excited about how it has shaped up.We are based out of Boston.
Here is the new ebike store in all its glory : https://www.wattwagons.com Use coupon LAUNCH2019 to get $300 off the list price.
Why Watt Wagons ? We give you everything standard! Quality components at a price that is hard to beat.

* Bafang Ultra Motor (1000W)
* Gates Carbon drive
* Titanium Hardtail. Sized from XS to L.
* Shimano Nexus 3- speed Rear Hub.
* Mobie45 front fork. You'll find that in more expensive bikes.
* Suntour NCX suspension seat-post Standard.
* Tektro HD350 hydraulic brakes, 180MM rotors
* Battery (700Wh). 5A Charger with 90/10 switch.
* Included accessories - full fenders , rear rack.
* Motor and Parts Warranty = 6 months

We also sell spare parts for the Bafang Ultra motor. If there is a specific part you want that I don't have listed, let me know and I can get it for you within a few weeks.
Last edited by Quirkyneo on Jan 17 2019 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigwheel   100 W

100 W

Re: I did it - I launched my Bafang Max based ebike! Also selling Bafang max spares !

Post by Bigwheel » Jan 17 2019 6:49pm

Looks plenty sturdy and equipped with nice features. The Ti is a nice touch and if fabbed in Beantown that is a bonus harkening back to the old days of Fat Chance/Merlin/One Off. Good luck with your venture!

Tommm   10 kW

10 kW

Re: I did it - I launched my Bafang Max based ebike! Also selling Bafang max spares !

Post by Tommm » Jan 17 2019 6:57pm

Good stuff. I love all of the parts, the titan, the rack, the fenders, belt, igh, all stuff that we are missing from high power ebikes. I am working to get more of those on mine...

A tip: if you are going for maintenance free, coil forks require less care. There are suntour trekking coil forks being sold, similar to the mobie45.
Last edited by Tommm on Jan 17 2019 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 17 2019 7:00pm

Bigwheel wrote:
Jan 17 2019 6:49pm
Looks plenty sturdy and equipped with nice features. The Ti is a nice touch and if fabbed in Beantown that is a bonus harkening back to the old days of Fat Chance/Merlin/One Off. Good luck with your venture!
Glad you like it. It is sturdy as hell. I have ridden this setup for the past 6 months in Boston area - pretty much all over. Little to no wear on the setup and smooth as the day I built it. I get stopped a lot with a lot of questions - especially about the belt drive 8)

The Ti frame is a no brainer at that point - I came up with a design to allow clearance for the belt drive... that was the hardest part for me.

I am targeting people who have already invested in a first bike and want something trouble free that lasts a long long time.

Oh one more thing - the battery fits an extra small frame! There is pretty much nothing out there in that range that allows a full battery to get in.

I have tried to keep the battery as standard as possible - after a few years of usage, you can easily replace in something similar with standard connectors (Anderson) . Nothing custom about it.
Last edited by Quirkyneo on Jan 17 2019 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 17 2019 7:03pm

Tommm wrote:
Jan 17 2019 6:57pm
Good stuff. I love all of the parts, the titan, the rack, the fenders, belt, igh, all stuff that we are missing from high power ebikes. I am working to get more of those on mine...
Thanks. :D

I tried the coil forks but after 1 season in the Boston area, I started getting creaking sounds... This air fork has lasted a solid 2000 miles and it is super silent and responsive. I'll do more research on the forks in general.. may be I got a bad piece.

EbikeAus   100 W

100 W

Re: I did it - I launched my Bafang Ultra based ebike! Also selling Bafang Ultra spares !

Post by EbikeAus » Jan 17 2019 8:32pm

Cool. Looks good, like the belt drive.
Gulnaar sounds like an Australian Aboriginal word
Choose LiFe 8)

May all your batteries be fully charged and perfectly balanced :P

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Re: I did it - I launched my Bafang Ultra based ebike! Also selling Bafang Ultra spares !

Post by spinningmagnets » Jan 17 2019 9:20pm

Hey, the shell that the ultra bolts up to, is it aluminum or steel? Does Bafang have both, or only one?

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 17 2019 9:23pm

spinningmagnets wrote:Hey, the shell that the ultra bolts up to, is it aluminum or steel? Does Bafang have both, or only one?

Bafang only provided the aluminum mounts. Not steel.

Mine is in Ti. I read your post about the Bafang ultra and the Ti frame. Very similar. I'm building the Ti Mount using 2 different parts and then weld and smooth them together.

I have extra aluminum mounts if you want those.

--
PM me for Bafang ultra parts

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 18 2019 2:55am

Quirkyneo wrote:
Jan 17 2019 6:22pm
Quality components at a price that is hard to beat.
What *is* that price?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 31&t=25446

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 18 2019 10:26pm

List is $4699
I am offering a $300 discount at launch.

tomjasz   10 GW

10 GW

Post by tomjasz » Jan 18 2019 11:30pm

Hah! For a Bafang product...that not even the claimed largest USA distributor can keep parts in stock for...

It’d be swell if all Bafang dealers brought some pressure to bear. Sadly as long as we act like the Chinese businesses we deal with, Bafang remains an irresponsibly difficult source.

Sad that a great product has such crap support for resellers.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 19 2019 7:23am

tomjasz wrote:Hah! For a Bafang product...that not even the claimed largest USA distributor can keep parts in stock for...

It’d be swell if all Bafang dealers brought some pressure to bear. Sadly as long as we act like the Chinese businesses we deal with, Bafang remains an irresponsibly difficult source.

Sad that a great product has such crap support for resellers.
Yeah. I was surprised why that was. After building my guest ultra bike I realized that parts were crucial. I was able to make it happen. Just as an FYI - if there's a part that you need and I don't have listed yet, I can still get those. I chose not to put the controllers up - Bafang updates those frequently so better to order if needed.

--

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Jan 19 2019 11:00am

Am I understanding correctly that you are fabricating (jig, weld, finish) titanium frames in the US?

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 19 2019 11:04am

Lenk42602 wrote:Am I understanding correctly that you are fabricating (jig, weld, finish) titanium frames in the US?
The full mount, and raw materials (Ti pipes and caps) is from China. Rest (jig weld finish ) is here in the US for now.

--

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Jan 19 2019 2:29pm

Who is welding your frames here in the US?
Where?

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 19 2019 3:01pm

Lenk42602 wrote:Who is welding your frames here in the US?
Where?
There's a machinist / welder in the Boston area I work with.

--

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Jan 19 2019 3:06pm

who? if you're going to sell these, people will want to know what they are buying

Beardman Bicycles?
Firefly Bicycles?
Geekhouse Bikes?
Honey Bikes?
Royal H Cycles?
Seven Cycles?
Zanconato?
Last edited by Lenk42602 on Jan 19 2019 3:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 19 2019 3:08pm

Lenk42602 wrote:who? if you're going to sell these, people will want to know what they are buying
Why should that matter? You are buying from me, not the welder. I give a lifetime warranty on the frame.

--

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Jan 19 2019 3:39pm

Quirkyneo wrote:
After tons of hardwork in sizing, negotiating, welding, building, assembling, and making it a solid product, I am excited about how it has shaped up.We are based out of Boston.
Here is the new ebike store in all its glory : https://www.wattwagons.com Use coupon LAUNCH2019 to get $300 off the list price.
Why Watt Wagons ? We give you everything standard! Quality components at a price that is hard to beat.
You are being asked a legitimate question about a product you are selling/ intend to sell.
Your above verbiage leaves room for interpretation as to exactly how your product comes together in the state you are posting for sale on your website.
You are positioning yourself as a retailer of ebikes & ebike products.
You have no information whatsoever on your website about you, or your product credentials.
You joined this forum a short while ago, so we as a forum community don't even have a user post history to determine your background.

Your answers, "everything is standard!" and "quality components at a price that is hard to beat" don't address the specifics of what you are selling. If anything, it indicates your own lack of awareness of what you are trying to sell.

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 19 2019 3:50pm

Lenk42602 wrote:
Quirkyneo wrote:
You are being asked a legitimate question about a product you are intend to sell.
Your above verbiage leaves room for interpretation as to exactly how your product comes together in the state you are posting for sale on your website.
You are positioning yourself as a retailer of ebikes & ebike products.
You have no information whatsoever on your website about you, or your product credentials.
You joined this forum a short while ago, so we as a forum community don't even have a user post history to determine your background.
You are absolutely right that I joined the forum not so long ago. You are also right that I'm a new / small retailer, and I have no information on the site about me. I'm in the process of fixing this and adding more content. I've received a ton of constructive feedback and it takes time to get this done.

That being said, there are people on this forum and on Reddit who actually approached me and already bought the bike. I can understand that you may not fall into that category and hope you appreciate that not everyone starts with a 10 people team.

I feel that you are getting stuck on my Ti frame and I'm really not sure why. You buy stuff from other ebike vendors like Biktrix, Luna, etc. They use KHS or a Chinese bikes - do you know or care who physically built it?

What's the fascination / obsession with my Ti builder ? What's it that is really bothering you ?

--

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Jan 19 2019 4:02pm

Custom Ti frame builders located in the US charge a significant amount to do one off builds and it usually takes several months per frame.

what bothers me? useless forum content about unhappy customers and defensive vendors.

created due to a lack of transparency (or even personal awareness) about business practices.

transparency can be vetted out now between the potential market audience (forum) and (yourself) seller.

before you sell anything.

..........so our forum doesn't get clogged up with post-purchase quibbling.

just answer the question

problem solved.

whatever dude.
:thumb:

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 19 2019 4:09pm

Lenk42602 wrote:Custom Ti frame builders located in the US charge a significant amount to do one off builds and it usually takes several months per frame.

what bothers me? useless forum content about ungappy sellers and vendors. created due to a lack of transparency about business practices.

transparency can be vetted out now between the potential market audience (forum) and (yourself) seller.

before you sell anything.

..........so our forum doesn't get clogged up with post-purchase quibbling.

whatever dude.
:thumb:
Ok. I get it. You are right again - custom Ti takes a while. Took me a long time to get things right. However as I mentioned in the previous post, I'm doing the complete thing here for now but looking to scale.

Hopefully my bike takes off and all the thought I put in to the components minimizes the issues that people run into.

The forum exists because people have problems and ideas and suggestions, and everyone is trying to help. ES has been a key motivator for me personally. I registered, read about what everyone is saying and decided to build something that has gotten fairly positive feedback so far. As people who get the bike post feedback, I intend to keep improving.

I am an ebiker and I feel the pain when things don't work. Gulnaar is my effort to provide something back to the community and hope it addresses a bunch of common issues.

I appreciate your concern. I don't mean any disrespect. Appreciate your thoughts and feedback. I'll be making some of these changes on the site and other components.

--

NoFanBoiz   1 W

1 W

Post by NoFanBoiz » Jan 19 2019 4:18pm

Quirkyneo wrote:
Jan 19 2019 3:50pm
I feel that you are getting stuck on my Ti frame and I'm really not sure why. You buy stuff from other ebike vendors like Biktrix, Luna, etc. They use KHS or a Chinese bikes - do you know or care who physically built it?

What's the fascination / obsession with my Ti builder ? What's it that is really bothering you ?
I would be cautious answering too, obviously could be the answer is simply so he can also produce bikes, irrespective of all the other reasons he lists, as like you said, no one asks other vendors this question. Nothing worse than others using your hard work.

Congratulations and best wishes with your venture.

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 19 2019 5:45pm

NoFanBoiz wrote:
I would be cautious answering too, obviously could be the answer is simply so he can also produce bikes, irrespective of all the other reasons he lists, as like you said, no one asks other vendors this question. Nothing worse than others using your hard work.

Congratulations and best wishes with your venture.

Thanks bud. It's a lot of hard work. I'm glad I'm getting positive feedback so far.

Gonna keep making the site, content and the bike better.

--

Quirkyneo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Quirkyneo » Jan 20 2019 3:20pm

What part are you looking for ? Just no shell / case, but I'm selling pretty much everything else.

--