How many of you really use the wiki?

Things related to the E-S Wiki
Warekiwi   10 mW

10 mW

Re: How many of you really use the wiki?

Post by Warekiwi » Aug 06 2018 11:00am

Although I access the website regularly and have found it extremely useful as I learn about the technology- I've never used the wiki-- not even sure what it is??

mark5   100 kW

100 kW

Post by mark5 » Aug 06 2018 11:42am

trazor wrote:
Aug 06 2018 12:36am
As an example, I'm on a new project and need this https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php? ... less_Motor

and this

https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php? ... _chart.jpg
Some files* can be found at archive.org:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140713184 ... less_Motor

Hope this is the troubleshooting chart you wanted.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180101213 ... _chart.jpg

* files they have:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://e ... re.com/w/*

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Aug 06 2018 4:38pm

trazor wrote:
Aug 06 2018 12:36am
neptronix, what is the plan? if the wiki is gone, can you publish the last backup tarball to the community?
Well, we don't have a replacement for it, and not a lot of people used it, so i wasn't planning on replacing it.
I can give you a zip, but let me warn you..

1) It doesn't 'boot', so the data isn't useful to anyone.
2) the database was already corrupted during upgrades due to a flaw in the mediawiki software, and i manually patched it up just enough to get it working. There are probably other issues i did not find.
3) it was either hacked or killed itself and was causing our server load to be about 30 times what it normally is.
4) You will need a php version @ 7.0.x or below to work with it.
5) It won't upgrade to the newest version with the security patch until you fix what caused #1 and #2.

This is most likely a big job that would require a decent knowledge of SQL and a lot of time. If you want a copy to play with to see if you can restore it on a server of your own, i'm okay with handing out a copy since it doesn't contain sensitive information ( we use a phpbb login plugin ).
My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The wheelie machine: 20" Rear Magic Pie II on a Trek 4300 MTB

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."- Chinese Proverb

marcexec   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcexec » Aug 17 2018 9:13am

That's a bummer - I spent a good bit of time collecting the motor overview data and learned how to make a sortable table in the Wiki.
easily 30 hours - plan was to have a DB with all available motors, similar to the intent of https://www.board-db.org/...

Question is if the effort is pointless or if it was a "critical mass" thing...
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
My Suzuki RF400 build: now with Enertrac MHM602 and 6kWh AESC modules protected by a Zephyr BMS
Renault Equation modded to 10S6P recycled laptop 18650s & 1kW controller.
Master of Electric Motor Selection: "Adopt a motor" (PM me if you have trouble editing)
All the gear, all the time!

mark5   100 kW

100 kW

Post by mark5 » Aug 19 2018 9:57am

In case there was some wiki content that someone wanted to salvage, here's an MS OneDrive link to w.zip (536 files, 3.8MB). It's supposed to contain the latest version of any E-S wiki file that archive.org might have. File structure looks odd to me but it beats having nothing.

DrkAngel   10 GW

10 GW

Post by DrkAngel » Aug 19 2018 11:02am

mark5 wrote:
Aug 19 2018 9:57am
In case there was some wiki content that someone wanted to salvage, here's an MS OneDrive link to w.zip (536 files, 3.8MB). It's supposed to contain the latest version of any E-S wiki file that archive.org might have. File structure looks odd to me but it beats having nothing.
Contains a fair percentage of info, viewable in html format.
Subdirectories and most pictures are missing.
My early posts, before I knew the "proper" way to build sub directories, seem salvageable.
MeanWell S-150 mods etc. (missing pictures, of course)
A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There, shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely, sobers us again.

I enjoy enlightening ... and enlivening the spirit of the innovators.

New & Improved - Acronym Definitions

Index - Homemade Battery Packs - Updated - November 2018

EBike Toolbox - Bargains! $

Endless Sphere Wiki - Lost?

atlascwm   1 µW

1 µW

Post by atlascwm » Aug 19 2018 7:21pm

I just want to put in my word that I thought it was a valuable resource.

trazor   10 W

10 W

Post by trazor » Aug 20 2018 1:19am

@neptronix, seems there is some need for the wiki content. Can you put the latest backup of the wiki online? This page describes the proper method https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Backing_up_a_wiki.

Thanks!

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Aug 20 2018 9:18pm

trazor wrote:
Aug 20 2018 1:19am
@neptronix, seems there is some need for the wiki content. Can you put the latest backup of the wiki online? This page describes the proper method https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Backing_up_a_wiki.

Thanks!
Oh, we have backups, it's just that you won't be able to read the data because it's corrupt. I do have a chap helping to work on the problem to get the wiki back up though. Hang in there.

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."- Chinese Proverb

trazor   10 W

10 W

Post by trazor » Aug 21 2018 8:45am

neptronix wrote:
Aug 20 2018 9:18pm
trazor wrote:
Aug 20 2018 1:19am

Thanks!
Oh, we have backups, it's just that you won't be able to read the data because it's corrupt. I do have a chap helping to work on the problem to get the wiki back up though. Hang in there.
Sounds good!

Anyway... I was thinking about this site policy content. What we write here is owned by who? I mean, shouldn't be a great gesture of openess to the EV community to publish daily dumps of the forum, wiki, and any kind of user generated content? This is more a question for the "owner" of ES. I don't know.. maybe I'm too used to the open source world and "publish all on github" attitude of any project. Is ES "for profit", doesn't look so.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Aug 21 2018 12:09pm

Since it's all right here on the internet, it's already "open".

Anyone can, at any time, download the entire site if they wish, using tools like DTS (download this site), though external stuff like people's videos and pics that members won't attach to their posts may not exist.

The same would be true of the wiki if it were functional enough to be able to run and access.

No one "owns" the content of ES itself, though Grin Tech "owns" the site name / forum.

trazor   10 W

10 W

Post by trazor » Aug 21 2018 7:24pm

amberwolf wrote:
Aug 21 2018 12:09pm
Since it's all right here on the internet, it's already "open".

Anyone can, at any time, download the entire site if they wish, using tools like DTS (download this site), though external stuff like people's videos and pics that members won't attach to their posts may not exist.

The same would be true of the wiki if it were functional enough to be able to run and access.

No one "owns" the content of ES itself, though Grin Tech "owns" the site name / forum.
As an IT worker I understand the concept of "scraping", and consider it a method to retrieve information when no cooperation with the publisher exists. Usually is a method that nags web administrators mantaining the site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_scraping

In this particular thread, we faced the fact that because some technical issues the wiki was gone, making all the content unavailable to whom values it. So, we can say that the community editing the wiki is not sovereign, the value of the system was taken from them.

I wonder what can happen if for other technical issues this phpbb system is wiped out. I don't doubt of the technical abilities of the people behind this site and this probably will never happen (but happens sometimes https://threatpost.com/hacker-puts-host ... ss/106761/ ).
I'm arguing about a political choice. This site look so "not for profit" that openly publishing a dump of the system regularly (to github?) seems so logical to me. That, in fact, will prevent Grin Tech to sell this site as an asset. IIRC Grin Tech brought the site from a guy at some point... maybe that should not happen again. Obviously is a decision of Grin Tech.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Aug 22 2018 8:09am

trazor wrote:
Aug 21 2018 7:24pm

I wonder what can happen if for other technical issues this phpbb system is wiped out. I don't doubt of the technical abilities of the people behind this site and this probably will never happen (but happens sometimes https://threatpost.com/hacker-puts-host ... ss/106761/ ).
It happened before with the old VisforVoltage site, the predecessor of this forum. Russian hackers wiped it out and there was no viable backup.

All was lost.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Aug 22 2018 9:26am

trazor wrote:
Aug 21 2018 8:45am
Anyway... I was thinking about this site policy content. What we write here is owned by who? I mean, shouldn't be a great gesture of openess to the EV community to publish daily dumps of the forum, wiki, and any kind of user generated content? This is more a question for the "owner" of ES. I don't know.. maybe I'm too used to the open source world and "publish all on github" attitude of any project. Is ES "for profit", doesn't look so.
I also work in open source, but name a single site that publishes complete backups to the public. I have never heard of such a thing.
Anyway, this would relinquish people's control of their content because anyone could spin up their own ES and run it and claim it's the real one.

Another thing is that a full database backup contains passwords, private messages, email addresses, etc. You can remove this information, but the site will not operate without it. You could polyfill it with false information, but then you wouldn't know who is who in a discussion.

If we had a problem with phpbb i would put everything aside and fix it and/or get other people on the job. phpbb is very well supported. wikimedia... not as much. We have redundant resources to keep phpbb running and secure. We also have 2 layers of backup. And unlike with wiki, problems get noticed in short order, due to the daily use of the site.

The problem with the wiki was has been busted for months at a time and nobody seemed to notice, and our backups were outside of the rotating window by the time it was gone. I started this thread to figure out if it was just troublesome abandonware or not.

We've determined that it's just troublesome. :lol:

marcexec   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcexec » Aug 25 2018 2:23pm

neptronix wrote:
Aug 22 2018 9:26am

I also work in open source, but name a single site that publishes complete backups to the public. I have never heard of such a thing.
Anyway, this would relinquish people's control of their content because anyone could spin up their own ES and run it and claim it's the real one.

Another thing is that a full database backup contains passwords, private messages, email addresses, etc. You can remove this information, but the site will not operate without it. You could polyfill it with false information, but then you wouldn't know who is who in a discussion.

If we had a problem with phpbb i would put everything aside and fix it and/or get other people on the job. phpbb is very well supported. wikimedia... not as much. We have redundant resources to keep phpbb running and secure. We also have 2 layers of backup. And unlike with wiki, problems get noticed in short order, due to the daily use of the site.

The problem with the wiki was has been busted for months at a time and nobody seemed to notice, and our backups were outside of the rotating window by the time it was gone. I started this thread to figure out if it was just troublesome abandonware or not.

We've determined that it's just troublesome. :lol:
I'm happy to adapt if there's something better. If this requires extra effort to implement I'm pledging €10 for a license/developer/whatever. (need to stick to what I replied to the FB group's poll ;))
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
My Suzuki RF400 build: now with Enertrac MHM602 and 6kWh AESC modules protected by a Zephyr BMS
Master of Electric Motor Selection: "Adopt a motor" (PM me if you have trouble editing)

Garen   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Garen » Sep 11 2018 2:09pm

Atlassian Confluence is one option, and they offer free licenses for open-source or community projects:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/view ... se-request

wturber   100 kW

100 kW

Post by wturber » Sep 11 2018 2:11pm

This forum is owned by Grin Technologies. I don't think Grin or this forum would qualify as being a non-profit.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

marcexec   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcexec » Sep 12 2018 4:12am

Wouldn't hurt to ask :)
commercial version not really viable as costs explode - there would be an overhead (read: barrier) to maintain a number of editors' accounts :(

Edit: found https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Co ... MediaWiki/ interesting. Can import but is Java-based :?

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Nov 11 2018 11:58am

Java based.... :cry: