Chevy Bolt first drive

Electric cars, trucks, ATVs, NEVs - things bigger than a motorcycle.

Re: Chevy Bolt first drive

Postby Warren » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Luke,

I go everywhere on my electric assist bicycles. I do my own shopping on it. Unfortunately, my wife likes to do the grocery shopping, and is not prepared to risk her life on two wheels, like I am. I have wished for decades that our private car culture would somehow crash. If we got rid of big, fast, idiot piloted cars, we could safely get around on bikes, and NEVs. As I have said before, it looks like we will literally drive ourselves to extinct. I was on a 50 mile ride yesterday. Heading home, down a straight, two lane state road, I saw flashing lights ahead. There was the required firetruck, and two cop cars. A cop is directing everybody down my lane. As I go by, I see two, 25 year old Ford F-150 trucks, facing each other, 10 feet apart, down a steep bank on the other side of the road! Apparently one of them, or a third vehicle that got away, caused them both to try to avoid a head-on collision, and they both took the same ditch.
Last edited by Warren on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
My mid-drive recumbent
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23259
My DD cargo recumbent
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78828
Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Postby LockH » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am

Chevy Bolt EV deliveries are surprisingly down to 952 units in the US last month:
https://electrek.co/2017/03/01/chevy-bolt-ev-deliveries/

Starts:
In its first full year of production, which is this year, GM is expected to produce about 30,000 Chevy Bolt EVs. While deliveries don’t reflect that so far, the company is currently expanding to more markets.

The automaker confirmed its February deliveries in the US today and with only 952 units, Bolt EVs deliveries are actually down month-to-month after 1,162 deliveries in January.

There are now 2,114 Bolt EVs on the roads in the US since GM started deliveries in December.
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564
LockH
100 GW
100 GW

Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Postby Warren » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Yup. Hideously ugly Prius Prime plug-in is eating Bolt's lunch, with 5,150 sold in first four months-1,287.5/mth. You get an HOV sticker, tax credits, and it's cheaper! Configurations: Plus $27,100 Premium $28,800 Advanced $33,100

Bolt is 897.7/mth for three months. March numbers will be very telling. Maximum monthly production for the Bolt is supposedly 2,500. There are a month's worth sitting on lots right now. North Carolina isn't supposed to see them until September. Colorado isn't supposed to see them until May.

http://www.hendrickchevrolet.com/search ... =Bolt%20EV

http://www.emichchevrolet.com/VehicleSe ... model=Bolt

They are also shipping to Canada, South Korea, and Norway. Doesn't look good for the future of EVs. Yeah. I know. Tesla will save us.
Last edited by Warren on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
My mid-drive recumbent
My DD cargo recumbent
Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Chalo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm

EVs are going to be just fine. Cars, on the other hand, are a problem that we need to solve.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.
Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Warren » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm

I think private cars, for the 99%, are going away. Despite Trump's best efforts, cars will get more efficient/cleaner, and more expensive. The subprime auto loan business will blow soon. All the car makers are rushing to get into the electric self-driving taxi business.
My mid-drive recumbent
My DD cargo recumbent
Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Hillhater » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Warren wrote:I think private cars, for the 99%, are going away.........
....... All the car makers are rushing to get into the electric self-driving taxi business.

Unless someone gets control of that potential situation ...(self driving taxi), ...i see little to change the private car situation.
Driverless taxi's just means more profit for taxi operators, and less jobs for taxi drivers......or do you really expect taxi fares to suddenly drop when this fleet of shiny new EV cabs hits the streets ?
I bet fares will increase, so little incentive for everyone to suddenly switch to cabs.
They might be a little less choosey as to where they go for pick ups, but i doubt they will wander far out of the normal high passenger traffic zones of the urban areas, so all you healthy country dwellers better make your own arrangements ....(private self owned transport ..car ? )
.Ideally, Mass Transit authorities will take control and own fleets of "Autotaxi's" and completely restructure the urban transit business model with affordable options.
Last edited by Hillhater on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca
Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Chalo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 am

Hillhater wrote:Unless someone gets control of that potential situation ...(self driving taxi), ...i see little to change the private car situation.
Driverless taxi's just means more profit for taxi operators, and less jobs for taxi drivers......or do you really expect taxi fares to suddenly drop when this fleet of shiny new EV cabs hits the streets ?

I guess you haven't been paying attention while Uber and Lyft (or in Austin, Fasten and Fare) have cut both wait times and ride cost to a fraction of what they used to be. And that's with the embedded cost of human drivers. Lots of folks in my neighborhood have already given up cars in part because they can get a ride to wherever they want, whenever they want, at a reasonable price.

The best promise of self-driving cars isn't that we won't have to drive them. It's that we won't even have to own them. The cars will cost the same to buy, operate and maintain as personal vehicles, but they'll amortize much more quickly because they're not sitting idle 90+ percent of the time like personal cars do. Ultimately, that will make them cheaper to use than your own car, unless you drive many hours per day.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.
Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Postby liveforphysics » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

Yep. Uber is already a paradigm shift for bay area transportation. Automated Uber will be even cheaper (and at least eventually safer if not immediately safer).
Ebikes.ca

My bicycle completes the standing quarter mile in 11.502seconds at 110.56mph.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Alan B » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:45 am

Uber and Lyft drivers basically work for poverty wages, not sure that's sustainable.

It would be nice to hear more about the Bolt in this thread, since that's on topic.
Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Hillhater » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am

Chalo wrote:The best promise of self-driving cars isn't that we won't have to drive them. It's that we won't even have to own them. The cars will cost the same to buy, operate and maintain as personal vehicles, but they'll amortize much more quickly because they're not sitting idle 90+ percent of the time like personal cars do. Ultimately, that will make them cheaper to use than your own car, unless you drive many hours per day.

.??..So if we dont own our cars, who will own them ?......"Taxi" type service provider companies i guess .?
...But, other than not needing to pay the drivers (who currently mostly survive on tips anyway) ...how does that make them cheaper than todays taxi service ?
No, the idea is that we do privately own our new autonamous cars , but when we are not using them , they go off and operate as a public taxi, earning money to offset the ownership/ running costs.
That would enable lower fare charges. But i suspect the Tax man will want a cut in that deal also.
Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Chalo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Alan B wrote:Uber and Lyft drivers basically work for poverty wages, not sure that's sustainable.

It would be nice to hear more about the Bolt in this thread, since that's on topic.

I doubt GM is together enough to make EVs that will be in the vanguard of self-driving cars. They'll have to wait for others to show the way. But that's the future of the car market.

Poverty wages or not, the preponderance of the cost of an Uber ride is the cost of the driver. That's why driverless cars will be the economical option almost as soon as they become available.
Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Postby LockH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Another Chevy Bolt EV electric-car owner weighs in on pro and cons:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109494_another-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-owner-weighs-in-on-pro-and-cons

Ends:
The Facebook group for owners of Chevy's first mass-produced battery-electric car grows every day.

In particular, Brian Ro of Columbia, Maryland, offered very specific comments on his new car. He also owns two Chevy Volts as well.

We've broken down his comments into specific topics, as noted, and edited them for clarity.

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
INTERIOR SPACE
INTERIOR QUALITY
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564
LockH
100 GW
100 GW

Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Postby Warren » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am

And then there is "wringing the most miles out of every drop of fuel"!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoznHJQWP9A
My mid-drive recumbent
My DD cargo recumbent
Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Warren » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 am

Today's Bolt update:

Over 2,600 on lots. Cars for sale in six states outside the official rollout states: Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Minnesota, Colorado, and Washington.

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads ... 9182_l.jpg

The official Chevrolet rollout says they will be available in the continental 48 states by August, and Hawaii, and Alaska by September. Since the 200 mile Nissan Leaf/Bolt lookalike will be available in September, at presumably a lower price (What else can Nissan do to compete?), I am guessing the rollout will be pushed forward by several months.
Last edited by Warren on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
My mid-drive recumbent
My DD cargo recumbent
Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Hillhater » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:50 pm

..but still no mention of availability in NSW ( Australia) :cry:

Warren wrote:And then there is "wringing the most miles out of every drop of fuel"!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoznHJQWP9A

Link broken , or video deleted ?
Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Warren » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Not surprised they pulled that ad down. It was a huge embarrassment, I'm sure. It talked about the super efficient "engine", that would "wring the most miles from the fuel" or words to that effect. It was clear whoever wrote the copy didn't know what to hell they were trying to sell.

If Chevy doesn't sell a bunch of them, over the next few months, they will be having a price war with Nissan come fall. I know Tesla has panache, or whatever, but if the Bolt and 200 mile Leaf going begging for sales this fall, it can't be good for the Model 3 trying to sell at full list either. GM and Nissan can give them away for six months, but I don't think Musk has that option.
My mid-drive recumbent
My DD cargo recumbent
Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Previous

Return to Large EV General Discussion