This might be a great donor car model

Electric cars, trucks, ATVs, NEVs - things bigger than a motorcycle.

This might be a great donor car model

Postby helpfulguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 am

So I just read that cars with rotary engines/wankel engines require a lot of maintenance and break down a lot. Making the market full of good condition "useless" cars. Useless unless you want a perfect condition car, without ICE engine, for peanuts. Cool model Mazda RX8, I Googled "Mazda rx8 without engine" and found this for example (no affiliation), not sure there are any other models with similar engine:

https://www.salvageautosauction.com/mod ... 8-for-Sale
helpfulguy
10 W
10 W

Re: This might be a great donor car model

Postby amberwolf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am

helpfulguy wrote:So I just read that cars with rotary engines/wankel engines require a lot of maintenance and break down a lot.

I dunno about that--a friend had an '87 RX-7, trouble-free (except for a mirror taken off by a pizza driver) from new off the lot almost a couple decades until someone with no license or insurance driving an unregistered car slammed full-speed into the back of the RX-7 while waitng at a red light. AFAIK he simply had the regular maintenance done per the schedules in the manual; he drove it quite a lot (he loved that car and still bemoans it's loss).
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: This might be a great donor car model

Postby The Toecutter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 pm

The 3rd generation RX7 from the 1990s has the lowest drag of the choices of used Mazda sportscar readily available. It will yield a decently efficient conversion that could give 15-20% better efficiency than a Nissan Leaf. The 1st generation is especially low in weight. You can't go wrong with any RX7 as a donor choice for a sports car conversion to electric.

The RX8 is less aerodynamic than all types of the RX7s, heavier than all types of the RX7s, and more complicated than all types of the RX7s.
The Toecutter
1 kW
1 kW

Return to Large EV General Discussion