Chevy Bolt first drive

Electric cars, trucks, ATVs, NEVs - things bigger than a motorcycle.
Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Re: Chevy Bolt first drive

Post by Hillhater » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Its just a personal opinion, but i think the Bolt is the "best looking" EV currently available. !
Most others are either too radically styled (i3), odd (Leaf) , plain uninspireing (eGolf) , or becoming dated ( Tesla)
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

LockH
100 GW
100 GW

Post by LockH » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 pm

`Kay. In ES tradition it's MODs TIME!

My vote? For a "range extender". Apparently vehicle has one operator ("driver") plus up to three (empty) seats?

So I say pick up hitch hikers if you have to, but put all the vehicle occupants to work!

The new, enhanced ES Chevy Bolt "Plus" features four bits as add-ons! Get extended ranges PLUS help keep occupants warm! (One "down side"... in small print... may burn calories as foods w/unfortunate "side effect"...)

At NO EXTRA COSTS provides "exercise" too! (Saves hundreds in annual "gym" fees.)

Each kit adds a small pedestal at the feet of occupants that supports (two) pedals, such that by pedaling one can actually GENERATE ELECTRICITY! (At starts and up hills, etc to shave off peak power outputs from the batteries! Get more ranges per charge... AND (maybe) make those batteries last "longer" before EVentual recycling and replacement. (The bit that Chevy doesn't want you to know...)

Ya heard it on ES Newz first folks. :shock:
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 15&t=60564

Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Warren » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 pm

That has been a standing joke in our family for decades. I hate riding in the car, and on most long rides I end up staying we should have pedals...and pedelec for the driver. It would quickly end speeding, as most folks are lazy as hell.

Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Warren » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 am

Just a quick update. The car now has 1,082 miles on it now. As before, my wife has put 90% of those miles on. I will be driving to two Drive Electric events in September. I have a little slide show, and some video, of my bikes, to run on the infotainment screen. I seriously doubt I will get any e-bike converts, but it will be fun trying. When not in cruise control, I really like the one pedal driving mode. We drive the speed limit, but are always the first across the intersection. So far, we are averaging 230 Wh/mile. Pretty amazing for a boxy, 3,569 pound car. Since the crash, most of the electricians around here have either quit, or have gone to work for a big company. Still trying to find someone trustworthy to swap the 90 amp breaker, for a 40 amp, in the garage welder circuit. Until then, we are using the portable charge cable that came with the car.. It turns out these are all dual voltage units 100-260 volt, just different plugs. Having seen the cords made up by Terry Hershner, and others for guerilla charging, I bought 25 feet of cord, and two male, and one female plugs, from Lowes. It took about a half hour to have it all up and running. The 120 volt outlets, in the garage are on different legs of the 240 volt service. Initially I tried one on the south wall, and one on the north wall. It all checked out with the VOM. But when I plugged the charge cord in it didn't work. Checking the outlets, the south one was dead. The breaker in the box was fine. Then the lightbulb came on. That outlet was wired inline with the ground fault outlet outside. Switching to the outlet on the west wall dealt with the problem. I have the adapter cable clearly labeled "240 volt only", if some stranger were to wander into the garage. We have around 246 volts, and the charge cord/car defaults to 12 amps. The dash display shows 3kW going in. But the resolution is in 0.5kW increments so probably 2.8kW actually getting in. It easily puts over 100 miles back in overnight. We have yet to do a 100% charge. I have the car set to accept the 90% "hilltop" charge. This is about 233 miles. I will probably do a 100% once a month, for balancing.
J Jetson front.jpg
J Jetson front.jpg (145.62 KiB) Viewed 6 times

speedmd
100 MW
100 MW

Post by speedmd » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 am

Nice Warren. Not sure why you don't use the 90amp welder circuit as is. You could always add a gf cable mounted breaker-fuse box- outlet if your looking to protect the car- charger.

neptronix
100 GW
100 GW

Post by neptronix » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm

I drove one the other day when i was in California. Felt like driving a small SUV with a 6 cylinder engine.. good ride, good power.. looks could be better though! i'd rather hold out to see how the Model 3 does.
My first major build: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The wheelie machine: 20" Rear Magic Pie II on a Trek 4300 MTB

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."- Chinese Proverb

Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Warren » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:39 pm

It has only been a week since I took the recycling, and trash to the recycling center, on my cargo bike. But the raw chicken, in the garage trash can, was getting rank, and my wife insisted I go to the dumpster. It’s been raining for several days here. It’s 58F, with steady, slow rain. So I was forced to take the Bolt out. :-) I zeroed out the trip odometer. I turned the temp to 70F, turned on the seat and steering wheel heat, turned on the wipers, turned up my favorite Sirius radio station, and headed off in L, driving at the 55 mph speed limit. The steady drain of the heat and accessories dragged the miles/kWh down to 3.0 for the first mile. It was only 6.7 miles round trip, but the efficiency estimate improved steadily, until it was up to 4.0 back in the garage. I’ve got my EV grin. The Bolt was the right choice for our last car.

Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Warren » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Some bad cells in a few hundred cars, causing several stalled cars.
Some poorly plugged connectors in the shifter, causing several stalled cars.
A tranny O-ring leak, drivetrain returned for analysis, now car computer won't recognize new drivetrain.
Several cars with failed modules of one sort or another, at least one led to a stalled car.

Reminds me of Tainter's Collapse of Complex Societies. I am constantly amazed how many people insist we will tech our way out of our current dilemma. We picked the base model, with none of the high tech "safety and convenience" options. Still way more complex than any car needs to be. With 2,222 miles so far, I have all my fingers and toes crossed. Computerized cars, like computers themselves, are magical...until they are not.

Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Warren » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 am

OK, here we are into the first week of November. October 15 is the average first killing frost. We haven't even gotten below 35F yet. Oh, well. Let's talk about cars.

We went to visit a relative last week. Couldn't take the 362 miles of interstates from Virginia to Tennessee, because of one missing charging spot. There were two, 240 volt slow chargers there. But they were from the bankrupt Blink outfit, and were offline. So we took a 500+ mile scenic route, to catch a fast charger in the North Carolina mountains. We went through Boone, which has a bit of history.

https://www.ncpedia.org/worlds-largest-windmill-boone

Beautiful weather for the outbound trip...cool, sunny, light winds. The return trip was very different...cold, pouring rain, fog, strong winds. The Bolt handled like my old sports cars...flat, firm, and not too much power assist on the steering or brakes. The regen was amazing. We climbed over five miles each way, but the approximately equal amount of descending made up for a large portion of it. Only one deer, a turtle, and a chipmunk in the road, thankfully.

Coming back, not only was the weather bad, but Blacksburg had a home game. The only fast charger in 100 miles was ICEed by an SUV. Talking to the the police we learned that since the EVs ONLY sign didn't say Towing Enforced, they couldn't tow the vehicle. But best of all, the town had sold the charging spot to the SUV owner for game days! There wasn't a room to rent within 50 miles, so we asked if we could improvise. The police were very helpful, and gracious. We ended up driving onto the sidewalk from the lot entrance. We just fit between a tree, and a sign post, with the mirrors folded.

1012.9 miles, 236.12 kWh, 4.29 miles/kWh

29,760' climbing going

29,177' returning
Buchanan.jpg
Buchanan.jpg (192.43 KiB) Viewed 5 times
Blacksburg from home.jpg
Blacksburg from home.jpg (202.73 KiB) Viewed 5 times
Lenoir 1.jpg
Lenoir 1.jpg (219.29 KiB) Viewed 5 times
Dandridge Exxon 2.jpg
Dandridge Exxon 2.jpg (148.98 KiB) Viewed 5 times
Attachments