Transmission Design problems

Tim17

1 µW
im currently working on designing the transmission for my schools FSAE electric car and im having some trouble finding parts that will handle the loads we are predicting. The transmission is going to be a 4:1 chain drive.
Specs:
driver sprocket 25 tooth
driven sprocket 100 tooth
car mass 400kg
motor power 80KW (rules limited could go higher)
max RPM 5500

in simulation we only hit 47KW and 4500RPM at the motor but I would like to design for the max allowed by rules.
the issue I am having is with finding a suitable chain that can handle these forces and speeds. from everything I've seen so far there are no chains that are rated for that speed and power. i know I am missing something because there are plenty of teams that have done what we are doing so clearly such a chain exists.

any advice on where to buy chain or find more data would be appreciated

Tim17 said:
the issue I am having is with finding a suitable chain that can handle these forces and speeds. from everything I've seen so far there are no chains that are rated for that speed and power.

+1 as Hillhater wrote.
80kW is normal motorcycle territory. So i'd look there for chain and sprockets. And if possible get a smaller motor sprocket like 15T so the rear sprocket can be smaller as well.

How long is the drive chain?

520 takes a whole lot to break. A helluvalot.

they do wear out in a couple months tho, if you ride them hard. One, maybe two months...Maybe.

Or, even better maybe, look at Zero and Harley and their electric motorcycles (SR/F and Livewire). Both use a belt instead of a chain for their drive train/ gear reduction. And both are operating in the same power regions.

Back