VW Passat B4 EV Conversion

Yuriy

1 µW
Hello everyone!

I've been working on converting my VW Passat B4 to EV and wanted to share my progress with you.

I bought this car years ago and quickly realized what an awesome car it is. Besides transition to electric power, my goal here is to keep all car systems in working condition. Starting from the power steering, power-assisted brakes, air conditioner and so on...

Main components

- Battery pack - 2P26S, 200Ah NMC ~20kWh
- An asynchronous motor with the copper rotor
- Curtis 1238 controller 84V 550A
- Flatpack2 charger
- BMS A1109 + A11039G2

Everything in this car is really well done. It has a quite advanced configuration for its years. Air conditioner, heated seats, airbags, ABS, it has practically everything you need.

At the same time, this car is quite simple. It doesn't have a central computer, so it'll be relatively easy to make all these systems work.

Of course, there will be some challenges, but nothing too complicated.

Progress summary

For someone who wasn't following along on my YouTube channel, I'll quickly sum-up my progress to date:
- Oct. 9, 2020: Power steering is working
- Oct. 30, 2020: The motor is installed and working
- Nov. 13, 2020: Heater and air conditioner installed
- Apr. 18, 2021: First Test Drive

Future plans

So, going forward my plan is to ensure stability and operability of all standard vehicle systems like power steering, power assisted brakes, air conditioning, ABS, etc.

I'll keep you all posted with my progress.

Here's my first test drive video:
P.S. English captions available

[youtube]GG-HHPfjI6I[/youtube]

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Yuriy

I sure hope so!
I'm planning on doing two stages:
- At the first stage, the mileage is going to be somewhere around 120 km at 20 KWH.
- For the second stage, I'm aiming to get 300 km out of this beauty. But we'll see when we get there, fingers crossed :) .

Wanted to share my battery experiments progress. Took a road trip today, went to visit my parents. Got encouraging results: 240 km on 40kWh test battery. I was riding at an approximate speed of 70 km/h. A car trailer loaded with a weight of 100 kg takes approximately 25% of the available mileage. Looks like my goal of 320 km on a single charge is not as far away as I expected!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Howdy,
Made a little overview of my current DIY battery pack setup.
We'll take a look at my current battery setup, how I assembled, installed, and tested it. The battery pack now consists of two battery modules. The first battery module is about 20 kWh and the second one (temporary) is also 20 kWh, which gives me 40 kWh total capacity! You'll see how I assembled and installed the battery from scratch. Also, we'll talk about the battery cells with NMC chemistry that I use, two possible ways of BMS installation and data bus wiring. Hope you'll enjoy it!

[youtube]aMMh0yI_Bmg[/youtube]

Back