372849.94 watt per wheel & counting

so if it's a dikkwayvin hp contest yaz wantz guvnah...

"The Most Powerful Production Car Ever!"(sez jeremy clarkson)
...for the next 15.5 minutes.

the car da schmeer has been too afraid to even make mention (except once in passing) over the past 2 years (ghed, do a search).
the electric china Lotus

don't understand why??
other than the price tag, what's not to like?
2000 hp, 1700N-m, 250km range, 9 minute full recharge of a half size battery using a vapour 800kW charger; all the things that mass-challenged-colinas & hills-full-of-hate wuvs to hate.

the undersized battery as well as the placement in the back instead underneath for proper handling; both things i heartily approve.
turning it into a heavy pig would make no one happy, not just the fan-boiz.
the way i see it steady (hopefully) energy density advances will make this moot at some point & as breakthroughs happen the factory would be smart to give a 2% discount on upgrade packs to the early adopters.
if the hp competition ever demands more per wheel power, then just add more wheels (but that would be more of a Tyrrell thing). :thumb:

and argy-bargy lower weight is better all you want, if Lotus does it this way it must be right.
(wonder if the old man is spinning in grave right now).
ifnwhen they pot the cells is what it'll take for me to get onboard; their weight shaving ethos is more fanatical than NASA.

like this one best, not much in the way of useful info but almost as good looking as the car.
[youtube]i59QX1GHiKI[/youtube]

how bout ES pass the hat? :pancake:

It's like he's drunk posting every time. Cheers!

This car is much too heavy to be something Colin Chapman would have approved of.

A 500 kg car with 500 kW would have been something worthy of the Lotus name and is very possible with today's EV technology. This lardass called Evija, fast as it may be, weighs as much as a 2000 Ford Explorer! There's something seriously wrong with that picture...

aaaah... there's that endless-sphere... of hate known & loved the world over! :bigthumb:

fer shoor it'd be lighter by half if he had anything to say about it.
but actually what i wuz wondering is if Chapman would even embrace an all electric powertrain.
hybrid maybe & a big maybe is my feeling just based on reading & knowing the total motorhead he wuz & what they're like.

also where did you pull that 500kg spec-point from & why are you holding EV's to a higher standard than ICE??
or the direct competitor Rimac Nevera for that matter???
double standards, another legendary ES trademark...
the way everyone here fawns, the front page should come with the tagline/warning:

-if it isn't made in croatia, it ain't worth shit

The minimum weight of a 2022 F1 car is 798kg, and engine power is more than 1,000hp
i agree to an extent it could & should be less porky to wear the Lotus badge, but if the 1678kg Evija is a pig, the 2150kg Nevera is positively a colina.

considering that every Lotus ever made to date has been over 600kg, i'd go for a target of 960kg, since the Esprit was the last Chapman approved model.
perhaps extend that to an even tonne (such as the Spéirling (is that half a pig IYE?)) in the hope of future energy density dividends bringing it down to the the target 960kg.
by this chart, the worst you can say weight-wise is that it is merely average, which again, given the brand name is rather damning.

bjorn-nyland-weight-20210820.png

bjorn-nyland-weight-battery-capacity-20210823.png

calab said:
I am not sure what your rush is man,
SR_Main_LOGOchar.png

Chapman-Esprit.jpg

Actually, EV technology is better than ICE and should be held to a HIGHER standard.

We have batteries today that can make 30+ peak horsepower per pound of battery. The LoneStar cells are a notable example.

I think Colin Chapman would have eventually come around to EV technology if he saw what we had today. Especially regarding hub motors. The AMZ Technologies hub motor prototypes could make 50 horsepower peak out of a 7 lb hub motor.

Colin Chapman would have been like HELLS YEAH LETS BUILD A 200 HORSEPOWER MICROCAR THAT WEIGHT 200 LBS WITH AWD!

You know it. I know it.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
The minimum weight of a 2022 F1 car is 798kg, and engine power is more than 1,000hp
i agree to an extent it could & should be less porky to wear the Lotus badge, but if the 1678kg Evija is a pig, the 2150kg Nevera is positively a colina.

You must have missed that a huge car is a disgrace and a tacky show of excess, whereas a huge man is a natural wonder. Only pitiful creatures aspire to the former, but all men aspire to the latter. Even if they pretend to be happy with mediocrity or worse.

Are you happy with mediocrity or worse, child?

Hillhater said:
?.. you are overlooking a lot of Lotus race cars, as well as the 6, 7, Elite road cars, etc.. !

Indeed. Plus with cars like the 11, the first generation Elite, and the first Europa, streamlining began to become part of Lotus design philosophy. That was thoroughly ended by the time of the Esprit.

The "simplify and add lightness" mantra should also apply to wind loading. The acceleration benefits at triple digit speeds are every bit as immense as weight reduction is at low speeds.

With current technology, we could today have an AWD electric 2-seater that weighed in around 550 kg(or much less), made at least 550 horsepower, and had a CdA comparable to a velomobile. There'd be very little to hold back acceleration when speeds got into the triple digit mph range, and with modern FOC controller technology and the ability to immediately detect/correct tire slip as well as balance torque on each motor when going through a corner coupled with vacuum downforce technology pioneered in cars like the Chaparral 2J of the 1970s(a modern streetable equivalent would be the McMurtry Speirling), cornering potential would be insanity. You'd have your slippery low-downforce mode for straight-line acceleration, and with the flip of a switch or some computer controls have high downforce for the corners. With such a design, you would not need much battery weight to have decent range,

But instead of Lotus building something akin to what I described above, we get a pig and a colina(the Eletre) as Lotus' modern lineup. Neither of which are simple or light. It's a disgrace to everything Colin Chapman stood for!

Hillhater said:
. … considering that every Lotus ever made to date has been over 600kg,….
?.. you are overlooking a lot of Lotus race cars, as well as the 6, 7, Elite road cars, etc.. !

typo... thought i writ 500kg (5-key's right nxet to the 6 doancha-gno)
as that wuz the number TC pulled out of the air.
which upon sober realization in the next post he promptly upped to 550kg.
wiki soopa7 said:
Early Lotus Sevens weighed around 1,100 lb (10cwt/500 kg). Although the weight crept upward as production progressed,

Elite kerb weight-503.5 kg (1,110 lb)

and didn't overlook the race cars, rather eliminated them from consideration along with one-off/strippers/kit cars.
only including road-legal & mass produced (say triple digit?).

The Toecutter said:
Actually, EV technology is better than ICE and should be held to a HIGHER standard.

We have batteries today that can make 30+ peak horsepower per pound of battery.
you have to consider that any current model actually represents, what?, 3? 5+ y.o. state of the art.
i expect/hope/demand the type 135 Esprit to do MUCH better.
battery-960x661.png

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...work-has-stopped/ar-AA10tD4A?fromMaestro=true
https://electricautonomy.ca/2021/10/07/britishvolt-canada-battery-cell-factory/
https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/en...n-projet-toujours-accompagne-de-questions.php

The Toecutter said:
(a modern streetable equivalent would be the McMurtry Speirling)
so at a few grams under 1000kg the answer to my question is... yes?
Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
(such as the Spéirling (is that half a pig IYE?))

The Toecutter said:
streamlining began to become part of Lotus design philosophy. That was thoroughly ended by the time of the Esprit.
But instead of Lotus building something akin to what I described above, we get...
lotus-electric-prototype-2030-1.jpg

The E-R9 has been designed around the architecture of the Evija all-electric hypercar, which was unveiled in 2019 and is due to go into production this year.

It would incorporate a development of the 2000bhp powertrain from the Evija that incorporates a motor for each wheel, allowing for torque vectoring to aid cornering.

Lastly, there's been zero info on whose motors they're using.
so unless someone has anything solid that sez different it's my pure & total speculation that it might could very well be this?
HTM-3500-5-4-1.jpg

Motor Mass 195kg

Motor Diameter 540 mm

Motor Width 251 mm

Motor Height 607 mm

Maximum Power 400 kW

Maximum Speed (motor) 3,500 rpm

Maximum Torque (motor) 3,500 Nm

Coolant Temperature 60 Deg C Water / Glycol

This direct drive, high torque and low speed electric motor has been designed for long haul applications, start / stop duty cycles – making it the perfect choice for heavy commercial vehicles.

the power & torque numbers are up to snuff, so IFF...
in the tradition of AC Cobra, Viper & others of stuffing cars with a truck engine the Evija is built with motors made for cargo haulers...
then the weight makes some sense & i can forgive the heaviness.

another match; their current address, but they recently moved to Snetterton from Hethel.
they practically shared a loading dock with Lotus HQ; coincidence?
Equipmake
Head Office, Unit 7,
Snetterton Business Park,
Snetterton,Norfolk

Lotus Cars Limited
Potash Lane, Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk

if i'm out to lunch i know can count on the window-lickers to rip me a cuppola new ones.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=94376

Back